Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
grip and A.S. tripod mounts

I've never been a battery grip shooter until I bought my D600 and gripped it because I felt it needed the grip to be comfortable for me. I was going to get a K5 grip but waited for the K3 to come out. Now I'm planning on getting grips for both my K3 and D800 as I loved the ease of portrait shooting with the grip. not to mention the added stability.

The problem is, I also like to have quick access to mount up to my tripods. Because I got small hands/short finger and the battery grips are typically thicker than the main grip of the camera I'm pretty much at my maximum dexterity already. So adding the tripod mount to the grip would pretty much ruin my ability to hold the camera, not to mention probably be very uncomfortable.

Is there a solution that puts a bracket on the "left" side of the camera where the audio/usb doors are at that would allow me to fasten a tripod plate onto? Or do I just got to man up and go through the minor inconvenience of screwing the plates on and off when I need them.

02-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I'm with you. I used to shoot with a camdapter hand strap and tripod QR plate but once I got the grip I didn't like the ergonomics as much. I haven't found a good solution yet, but I want to know what others have come up with. I've gone without for a few weeks and I think I'm going to try it on again to see how it feels.
02-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the best solution may be to go with one of the few remaining tripod heads without QR.

QR systems make so many assumptions - and bad ones. You have only one camera, or only one tripod (or at least only one type/brand/mount of tripod heads). You never attach anything else to the tripod mount on the bottom of your camera (like a speed strap or other accessories). You never like to place your camera on a flat surface, whether just setting it down or using the surface as a quick, temporary "tripod." You actually like having QR plates attached to all of your cameras. The 5 seconds you may save using the QR matter more than the many minutes you'll wasted because of all the other hassles QR causes you.

I have a well-designed non-QR mechanism on a Velbon Pan/Tilt head and it's very quick to take the camera on and off. Besides, Tripod shooting takes time to set up properly. If speed is really of the essence, you leave a still or video camera attached for most or all of the session/event. If you're taking it on and off, it inherently means you have a little time to spare - 5 seconds shouldn't make or break it.

QR allows you virtually no variety in the selection of cameras and tripods you will have. It's insane.

Having said that, I still have some tripods with QR because I can't, or have been too cheap to, replace the QR heads. But I hate it.

Last edited by DSims; 02-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have an Arca Swiss L plate permanently on my camera, over the vertical grip. But I have big hands. and the extra dimensions (10mm in thickness), don't bother me much. But for someone with small hands, is a problem.

Also a problem is the number of Arca Swiss clamps that I have to buy, to change all the mounting plates of my 2 tripods, and the movie rig. I have an Velbon with Pan/Tilt mechanism ( which is not good, because, after some time, the pan/tilt became unstable, whatever I do, so 'Ive change it with a ball head), and my new Fancier video fluid head tripod, which has a different size plate. Fancier has a plate that's looks similar with Arca Swiss, but it's not a 38mm V plate, but something like V 42-43mm plate. Not to mention that the Arca Swiss L plate is side-by-side oriented, along to the camera body, while the tripod clamp is front-back oriented. Finally, with almost 100 euros, and a lot of patience, I have a full system with Arca Swiss. For Camera, two telelenses which has tripods atachments, and everything. And is quick and safe to use. But it's not a solution for you.

Maybe, a custom L plate, of half thickness of a regular Arca Swiss plate, because the active part of this kind of plate is only 5mm, could be good for you. Maybe.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 02-07-2014 at 02:56 PM.
02-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
it's too bad there is no ultra thin, but durable, L-plate that can slip between the grip and body without interfering with the required connections that puts a tripod mount in my desired location... seems like all the L mounts I can find mount to the side of the camera.
02-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
it's too bad there is no ultra thin, but durable, L-plate that can slip between the grip and body without interfering with the required connections that puts a tripod mount in my desired location... seems like all the L mounts I can find mount to the side of the camera.
I think that would be difficult to engineer, and still retain the WR of the grip/camera combination.
02-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It would be nice if they made a grip that was compatible with tripods like Fuji is doing.