Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Air Gapless Screen: Wolverine-esque Self-Regeneration?

Recently I went to Finland for Finnish Winter Training (photos here: Finnish Military Winter Training (40 images!)) and brought my K-5 IIs. I was going to post this in the K-5 subforum, however Air Gapless screens apply to not only the K-5 II/IIs series, but the K-3 also.

I am a big fan of the Op/Tech system, namely the Sling Strap and the Backpack/Reporter. Very cheap, yet very effective. I initially started with the Sling Strap (SS), however I changed over to a combination of the two. At first, the SS was great and allowed full mobility with my hands while skiing. The first thing we did was practice (ok...learn) how to Nordic (aka cross-country) ski. But then I realized something - there was a massive impact spot on the rear LCD screen, something akin to this:

It was a bit more centered, but the screen was still functioning. I was initially pretty upset that I had allowed myself to whack the LCD screen with the top end of my ski pole, but it happened, and there's no point in crying over spilled milk. Besides, I could still use the camera despite this inconvenience, which is really all it was - no actual function of the camera was affected. So yes, even with an air-gapless screen (on the K-5 II, K-5 IIs, and K-3) that is made with better materials - if you are going to be even slightly rough with your camera, it's highly recommended to use LCD screen protectors. I swear by the ACMAXX ones, and I even had one on this camera. I had it on this camera since I owned it over a year ago, so the adhesive was starting to wear out (I could shift it slightly just by pushing hard and then leaning it to any side). I pulled it off because I was concerned with water/snow possibly getting trapped between the LCD screen and the cover, and then freezing.

And then fast forward a week (the first time I had used the K-5 IIs since returning), and imagine my surprise when I see this (photo of the actual K-5 IIs involved):

Name:  IMGP0563-Edit.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  158.3 KB

Ignore the terrible IQ - it was purposely underexposed because the LCD screen's brightness was washing out the lines in the blown highlights.

But seriously....the hell? o.O

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 02-08-2014 at 10:16 AM.
02-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Pentax - Never Dies"
02-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a sign. You were meant to be a magician, not a photographer.

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 02:45 AM ----------

But seriously, I've never seen nor heard of anything like that. It's borderline unbelievable.
02-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

...wait, so when it was damaged you would see the pictures with the big splotch over them - and now it's completely gone?

02-08-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
But seriously, I've never seen nor heard of anything like that. It's borderline unbelievable.
Nor I.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
...wait, so when it was damaged you would see the pictures with the big splotch over them - and now it's completely gone?
Yes! 100% as you described it. I have friends who went with me to Finland who can vouch for the before and after as well. I really wish I took a picture of it when it first happened.

But yea, save for those two vertical lines, you'd never know.

-Heie
02-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I always wondered how vulnerable those air-gapless screens were, but looks like they used NASA self healing materials...:/
I wish my classic K5 screen resurrected itself, but that puppy was toast.
02-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On a microscopic scale, you cracked the LCD at sub-zero temperatures.
Now that the camera is warmer, the cracks are gone because the LCD is warmed up and the cracks have expanded.

If you take your camera and put it in the freezer, my guess is the "damage" will return.

There are no "miracles" just unknown science.

My $.02

02-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lauren you might be onto something. I'll have to pay attention at the different temperatures I use it and see if there's a difference.

But it's nonetheless startling.

-Heie
02-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Why not also try gently pressing on the location as well? It may react to pressure.

Although if you do this and it comes back permanently, I am not to blame :P
02-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Why not also try gently pressing on the location as well? It may react to pressure.
No effect...
02-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Are you sure that no one have change your camera?
02-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol I'm sure
02-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm interesting
02-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is pretty wild.
Cant wait to see some of your pictures BTW.
02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If it's unaffected by pressure then I'm lost lol... pressure would cause cracks to show...