Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I bet they didn't even know what Pentax was... plus they probably got confused by the Ricoh logos.
After all, they wanted photo-cameras not photocopiers

02-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Steal what you can sell, and that is more for CaNikon.
02-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Since the discussion has drifted a bit to car theft: The only vehicle vandalism I've experienced was when someone smashed the glass of my hatchback, flipped down the back seat, and rummaged blindly for whatever they could find in the trunk.

Loss to me: A plastic bag holding dirty sweatpants and a jester hat (part of a halloween costume). Not much resale value there.

Loss to my insurance company: $1000. Deductible didn't apply because only glass was damaged.
02-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This story reminds me of a similar report of a break-in at a camera store where the thieves also avoided all the cameras and lenses in the Leica cabinet because they didn't recognise the brand.
Well, new Leica gear also creates much more attention around them and buyers are much more likely to check serial numbers and ask Leica on shady deals. They would probably have to smuggle them to Russia, Bulgaria or similar where a black market with high capital exists.

One or two extra consumer Canikons on the market won't draw attention, not even 20 of them. In short, they may not have been stupid.

02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #20
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I bet they didn't even know what Pentax was... plus they probably got confused by the Ricoh logos.
After all, they wanted photo-cameras not photocopiers
Hocir to the rescue!
02-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Thieves tend to target the quick sell. Canikon is a big target for that because everyone knows about them.
02-10-2014, 04:49 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They probably remembered the time they tried to knock over a little old lady with a Pentax who promptly laid the the smack down on them by swinging it like Thor's hammer!! It could of happened!

02-11-2014, 04:07 AM   #23
Forum Member

This is why I have one photo in my camera memory, that I never delete. It's a photo of this short message: "If you had a second thought about this catch, please feel free to return this camera to the place you picked it from, and I won't make any fuss about it. Thanks"
02-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote
This is why I have one photo in my camera memory, that I never delete. It's a photo of this short message: "If you had a second thought about this catch, please feel free to return this camera to the place you picked it from, and I won't make any fuss about it. Thanks"
That's actually a very good idea.
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #25

This works for us

So, I'm out in the city somewhere with my Pentax around my shoulder. I get pushed and a thief grabs my camera and runs off. I get up and dust myself off and there he is, the their. He gives me back my camera and says, "I can't sell this. Who's Pentax?"
02-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There must not be much of a market for Pentax gear. And given its rarity a sudden glut of Pentax gear on the market would certainly attract attention.
True... but yeah, in light of OP's cool question, yeah the thieves considered the Pentax shelf a holy site and untouchable probably
02-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't laugh but it's one of the lesser reasons I buy Pentax. I like that it's not the most popular brand out there and that my gear is not as coveted as Nikon and Canon stuff. I've had friends who use Nikon and Canon ripped off, backpacks full of gear stolen. The less they want mine, the happier I am. That's also why my little Oly isn't the most recent Pen model and why it's blinged up like a badly aging Vegas hooker. The less seriously thieves take my equipment the better off I am. I can't afford to lose what gear I've got. It's way too hard for me to replace it. But even if they wanted it they'd have a hard time getting it off me. My latest traveling "camera" bag is totally wired to be slash proof. As in I made a cross body bag for myself, out of denim and fleece, gave it an internal wire cage and wired straps to protect my gear. It also has a heavy zipper and little keyed security locks to keep it closed. They can TRY to take it, lol, but it would be very difficult if not near impossible to do sans my cooperation. Sans a gun in my face they're just not getting it. I got the idea from looking at those wire mesh cage bags they make for like $200 and up. But I made my own fashionable variant on a theme and spent a whole lot less doing it. I've been making bags of all kinds for a while, but this is my first camera bag so far and I wanted it to be a good one for traveling. I wanted it to be very secure and to not scream "Oh look it's fancy camera gear!"
02-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
backpacks full of gear stolen
I avoid using obvious "camera bags" but that's still no a guarantee. I did 5 minutes of easy surgery on my Canon 200EG backpack to remove 1 metal nameplate and cut off 1 fabric tag. Someone well-versed in cameras might still recognize the bag, though, and bags gets stolen to check for phones and other valuables regardless.

As a New Yorker I think I'm good at being aware of my surroundings. A backpack becomes a chest pack in very crowded areas. If a stranger talks to me my first reaction is to watch for accomplices

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
it's blinged up like a badly aging Vegas hooker
lol
02-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Camera bags are very easily to recognize... that bulk of the pads cannot be hidden.
A shoulder messenger bag with padded inserts is the best bet if incognito is your goal.

Last edited by mrNewt; 02-12-2014 at 09:22 AM.
02-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #30
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
A shoulder messenger bag with padded inserts is the best bet if incognito is your goal.
Either that, or K body with the 40xs lens. Practically fits in your pocket