Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steal this Pentax?

I passed by a nearby camera store this weekend. They they are heavy into the Canikon brands, the also carry Sony, Olympus, and Pentax gear. In speaking with one of my favorite salesmen, it was indicated to me that they had been robbed - again - recently. Apparently the bad guys, broke in after hours carrying black plastic sacks and had about 2 minutes to grab whatever they could before the police showed up. Interestingly enough, the thieves went straight for the Canon/Nikon gear bypassing the Pentax gear (and the Oly gear too I think). The funny part is they also grabbed the Sony stuff (which actually was a blessing for the store, or so it was suggested!). So...Pentax...too good to steal? Is that the message here?

02-10-2014, 10:23 AM - 3 Likes   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Because when a Pentax falls off the back of a truck it will still work.
02-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

If the thieves can't sell or fence the items they steal then it is of no value to them. There must not be much of a market for Pentax gear. And given its rarity a sudden glut of Pentax gear on the market would certainly attract attention.
02-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Highly doubt its too good to steal, They either did not know pentax, or figured it would be difficult to get rid of because of the lack of people shooting with them. That is fine with me, if I leave my stuff somewhere and someone doesnt steal it because they think its sub par, or dont know what it is, all the better. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

02-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not surprising. Thieves target items that are easy to resell, or rare high-value items that are worth the time to resell. They can unload Canon or Nikon anywhere: online, a street corner, or even to a shady camera store.
02-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
So...Pentax...too good to steal?
I think they've missed the sarcasm in your post.
02-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If they were in and out in two minutes, that means they either had a plan on what to steal or just grabbed whatever was the most convenient to grab or most prominently displayed. It would be telling if they grabbed the good Canikon stuff or if they grabbed a bunch of rebels and consumer zooms.

02-10-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I think they've missed the sarcasm in your post.
Yep.
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This story reminds me of a similar report of a break-in at a camera store where the thieves also avoided all the cameras and lenses in the Leica cabinet because they didn't recognise the brand.
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
If they were in and out in two minutes, that means they either had a plan on what to steal or just grabbed whatever was the most convenient to grab or most prominently displayed. It would be telling if they grabbed the good Canikon stuff or if they grabbed a bunch of rebels and consumer zooms.
Rebels for sure!! Easier to carry all that plastic!! The dumb bunnies will put it all on craigslist and then get caught!!
02-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Kind of wish someone would come to my store and steal our Sony stuff. We can hardly sell it and when we do it comes back half the time...
02-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

A few years back, my wife left her car unlocked and had a key to my car inside of her car for some reason. Someone broke into her car found the key, tried to steal my car but was thwarted by the manual transmission.

The lost key meant I had to go get the car re-keyed which was the most expensive part of that whole situation.
02-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Steal this Pentax?
Perhaps if the price is right you should steal it legally.
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago someone broke into my locked car and stole a Spotmatic and several Takumar lenses (which were out of sight in the trunk) along with the car radio (which was in plain sight in the dash) It's comforting to know that today I no longer have to worry and can leave my Pentax cameras and lenses laying on the seat with the doors unlocked, as long as I use a Nikon or Canon for bait that is........
02-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Years ago someone broke into my locked car and stole a Spotmatic and several Takumar lenses (which were out of sight in the trunk) along with the car radio (which was in plain sight in the dash) It's comforting to know that today I no longer have to worry and can leave my Pentax cameras and lenses laying on the seat with the doors unlocked, as long as I use a Nikon or Canon for bait that is........
That's a great strategy! I'll just run out and buy a couple of used D4's or 5D's just in case.