Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Continuous Shooting, Exposure Bracketing, Interval Shooting etc in B Mode!

Hi all,

What do you think if K5 series and K3 can set to Exposure Bracketing, Multi-exposure,
Interval Shooting, or Interval Composite in Bulb mode?

Reason to allow all these functions in Bulb mode is to make Long Exposure bracketing ( more than 1 minute), timelapse and nightscape photography easier.

Hope Pentax Ricoh can consider to allow those great functions in Bulb Mode.

Tommy

Last edited by kamayok3; 02-11-2014 at 08:33 PM.
02-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
How would any of that work in bulb mode?
02-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
How would any of that work in bulb mode?
Doing more than 1 minute interval composite with the help of timer remote in B mode, or nightscape timelapse in B mode since we can set the interval from 2 seconds to 24 hours.
02-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The contradiction I'm seeing here is bulb is an extremely simple mode, you press the button when you want to open the shutter, release it when you want to close it. Most of what you are talking about requires the camera to control the shutter, with the exception of multi-exposure which I believe you can already do in bulb mode.

If you're using an external timer I don't see anything stopping you from doing the rest of what you mention.

02-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
My question is how come Pentax Ricoh never allow them in Bulb mode in the first place? Any reason? Thanks.
02-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I can't understand how it would work and make sense. Except for multi-exposure they require the camera to control the timing of the shutter, which is exactly the opposite of what bulb mode was created for and does. Bulb mode and multi-exposure makes sense, I can do that with the K-5 without a problem.

Maybe you could take me through the process you envision to use these features in bulb mode. Does some other camera do this?
02-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because they have not seen a need for it.

Yes, it can be implemented; your camera can time the first bulb exposure and automatically adjust the next ones based on that time (e.g. halving and doubling the time (exposure bracketing) or repeating all successive shots with the same time (multiple exposures / interval shooting)).
02-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I often think that its a pity that extended exposure times are not available in Manual mode. It would be great if you could set 1, 2, 5, 10 minutes at least (noise is good at 10 minutes on these modern DSLRs)..

02-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You can achieve a result very similar to extra long exposure times by using multiple exposure mode with the slowest shutter speed of 30 seconds.
Set the shooting mode to interval composite the interval to 32 or perhaps 33 seconds and the combining mode to average or additive depending on what you want to achieve.
You can set the count up to 9999 shots which would give you an effective exposure time of up to almost 4 days.

You would typically use average if 30 seconds is enough in terms of illumination or additive if 30 seconds is too little for correctly exposing each frame.

There will of course be short gaps in the exposure, so something like star trails might not work out that well. However for most other situations it gives you results that are not just equivalent to but considerably better than what you would get with a 'real' long exposure.