Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help... camera not clicking- Vegas repair shops?

OK, so I'm in Vegas for the first time ever, and ready to shot some images of the strip tonight.

But my DS isn't taking pictures. It's like the shutter button doesn't register being pressed. It won't autofocus when pressed halfway, won't take pics even in MF. Tried both a DA and an M lens.

I reset the camera to default. Reformatted the card and swapped batteries...

ideas? other fixes?

Last edited by mediaslinky; 04-14-2008 at 05:56 PM.
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am thinking it's the shutter button itself. I remember the few times I got it to work today it snapped to shots like I had pressed the button very quickly.
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM   #3

Shutter buttons do go bad sometimes... You need to take a whole lot of pictures before that happens though.
How many shots have you taken with this bad boy?

Last edited by deudeu; 04-14-2008 at 04:54 PM.
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me? a couple thousand, but I bought it used. Worked perfectly, and looked pretty new a year ago when I got it.

04-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try taking the batteries out of the camera. I have a *istD and that has a memory battery in the base as well (button style) if this camera has the same, then take that out as well. Leave them out for at least 15 minutes and see if the camera will reset itself after replacing them..
04-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Trying that now...
If that's not it... and it's the button... aside from sending it in, any fix for it?
04-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well as deudeu said, shutter buttons can go bad. It sounds as if everything else is working, correct? Do you have a grip for the camera? If so the second shutter button is there. You might try and find a camera shop there tomorrow if a place does Pentax.

I wonder if there are any other Las Vegas shooters on this forum? Maybe post a thread asking that question and make sure you put the City name in the title. They may know a place locally for service.
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.

First "battery out" didn't work. Will leave them out all night and try again tomorrow.

Anyone know a place in Vegas?

04-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
looks like I'm relegated to my camera phone. What a waste. Not sure when I'll ever be back.
04-15-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Anybody else got any bright ideas? That might save a vacation.
04-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
JMS

Find a camera store and buy a cable release. Might not be the most comfortable situation, but it'll work.
04-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Buy a cable release. It's not as convenient, but it's a cheap workaround until you can get the camera properly repaired. Many camera stores will have cable releases; even the Canon cable release should work with your DS.
04-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
OK, so I'm in Vegas for the first time ever, and ready to shot some images of the strip tonight.

But my DS isn't taking pictures. It's like the shutter button doesn't register being pressed. It won't autofocus when pressed halfway, won't take pics even in MF. Tried both a DA and an M lens.

I reset the camera to default. Reformatted the card and swapped batteries...

ideas? other fixes?
If you take it to a camera store that sells Pentax,Samsung or Canon the should have a remote release cable that you can use to test the camera. All if these cameras work with the same micri jack cable. The Canon XTI uses the same jack as Pentax .

Dave
04-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #14

This is just a shot in the dark, but it's a somewhat educated on. Whenever my camera won't shoot for various reasons, it seems like there's something physically wrong with it that it doesn't like. Maybe the lens isn't properly seated or the battery, media card or some other door is open or registering just open enough that the camera isn't having any fun with it. Maybe you're between detents on one of you camera's knobs or something?

Sorry if this seems elementary, but I've had several instances where simple issues like this were the difference between the camera working and it not. This certainly isn't to say that you haven't already troubleshot these, but if you haven't, jiggling buttons and lenses and knobs sometimes helps me.

Good luck and condolences for missing out on the pics.
04-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions... had to go to work (Here for a conference not vacation) but will give it a try if I get some time.