Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

K-20D dynamic range

Hi All
Still with the faithful K-10. Now ticked over 10,000+ shots. Considering the K-20.
I was concerned to read on the PopPhoto review that the dynamic range was significantly lower than the opposition!
My main concern with the K-10 is caused by encountering a significant number of fairly standard outdoor shots that exceed the dynamic range both as regard blown highlights and shadows.
As anyone got hard figures for the K-20D?
I feel that this is a rather serious issue.
Cheers
Ron

04-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

No hard figures I dont think. I havent seen any decent test shots from any users or any of the major reviews either.

I really really want to see an extensive EDR image test in multiple environments because I need to decide between the K20 or the A700 =\
04-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just looking at my photos ( I don't measurebate) I would say that the DR on the K20 is slightly lower than the K10 on the shadow side. However, I also see that the shadows from the K20 files recover better than from the K10 files. In other words, when lowering the 'blacks' slider in ACR or Aperture the shadows in the K20 lighten more smoothly than the K10, which could get blocky when doing this. They are both very special cameras and have different 'looks' to the images.
04-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Truncated DR

QuoteOriginally posted by photog Quote
Hi All
Still with the faithful K-10. Now ticked over 10,000+ shots. Considering the K-20.
I was concerned to read on the PopPhoto review that the dynamic range was significantly lower than the opposition!
My main concern with the K-10 is caused by encountering a significant number of fairly standard outdoor shots that exceed the dynamic range both as regard blown highlights and shadows.
Cheers
Ron
From a few analytical tests by 2 authors, the DR of the K20 is below the K10. Higher then expected shadow noise limits the dr at low iso's. At first it was assumed to be a lower quality ADC but more than likely is in the sensor itself.
Personally it doen't look to me to be a showstopper as much as the vpn of the k10 was.
k10 had some of the highest dr numbers but if vpn showed it wasn't actually very useable.
Multiple confirmations are still not in.
Re: Image Proof, Conclusion...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

04-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

enough dynamic range for me. This was lightly tweaked in pp, but you can't get what you don't have in the first place

04-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for the intersting link and info. Esp. the link to the original work (D300 vs. 40D) in that source is worth a read.

What I don't fully understand... If noise basically is the norm of readout noise and photon shot noise, how can the high iso noise performance of the K20D then excell? I mean, if the Samsung sensor doesn't have a higher quantum efficiency...

Also, an interesting figure from the soure: At ISO800, the 12Bit pixel value (which ranges from 0 to 4095) is about the same as the number of electrons gathered by the pixel...
04-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photog Quote
Hi All
Cheers
Ron
Default JPEG processing is "bright" which has a more contrasty tone curve. Some dumb *ss reviewers think JPEG DR has some relevance in the real world!

Testing RAW, K10D and K20D have identical shadow exposure and the K20D has better highlight rolloff IMO.

I have had trouble linking stuff here but if you go to the following link you should see what I mean....

http://i.pbase.com/o6/89/257389/1/93392592.MfHucYTZ.combines.jpg
04-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the camera stores seem to like to set jpg default differently for different brands (hmm, wonder why that is?). And magazine reviewers generally can't find their arse with a talking gps.

I gladly pay to read what Sean Reid writes/thinks. I'll also read Luminous Landscape as well. The rest of the sites are worth what you pay for them. Numbers do not tell the whole story. And in some cases, they seem to misunderestimate what is a control and what constitutes data analysis...

04-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
And in some cases, they seem to misunderestimate what is a control and what constitutes data analysis...
LOL they certainly do. Very few reviewers have sufficient scientific or engineering knowledge to understand how to conduct a meaningful test and are really just misleading their users.
04-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
K-20 dynamic range

I thank all for their extremely positive and informative comments. I might add to my original post that I am interested only in shooting RAW images. (PEF)

I feel that any result in JPG is very little value as it is dependent on the default setting. I prefer to use RAW and allow PsCs3 (Bridge with ACR 4.41)

Btw I had expected the claim that 14 BIT processing to be "HDR" by 1 stop to mean a useful boost in dynamic range.

I think the K-10D is a great camera for an amazing price. I can live with 3 fps but for low loght I do find the slow focus to be a trial.

Ron