Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

K200d - Memory cards and new 18-250mm lense

I am seriously considering purchasing the new K200d and have two questions.

First what are others finding is the best size of memory card and does one really need an ultra high spped memory card?

Can anyone comment on the new Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DI-ll LD lens? Good or bad. It looks like a great new lens to me, but I am a novice.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

04-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, if you are going to shoot RAW format, on a 2 gig card, you will get in the neighborhood of 115-125 photos per card, IF the raw files are the same size as a K10D, so I would suggest buying 3 or 4 , and the speed is more important for taking them OFF of the card, and transferring them to your PC.
04-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #3

4 gb are cheap....

From Amazon.co.uk.

2 of SanDisk SecureDigital Ultra II Card SDHC 4 GB @ 10.99 each

Item Subtotal: 21.98
Shipping & Handling: 10.00
Total: 31.98

They came with a free SDHC reader.

They work just fine in my k200d.

At that price, why buy less than 4GB.

D

QuoteOriginally posted by Hewy57 Quote

First what are others finding is the best size of memory card and does one really need an ultra high spped memory card?

Can anyone comment on the new Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DI-ll LD lens? Good or bad. It looks like a great new lens to me, but I am a novice.

04-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say 2GB is the minimum size I'd buy for the K200D, and 4GB is probably the "sweet spot". I never worried about speed as that only affects me during image transfer to the computer and I'm not in a hurry.

As for your second question, the Tamron 18-250 is a very nice lens, good image quality and convenience. Of course, there are compromises, but I think they did a nice job of keeping image quality up while minimizing the drawbacks. There is noticable vignetting at the wider ends, but it's pretty easily corrected in post processing if it affects the shot. You can also see some barrel distortion, but unless you're shooting architectural shots (lots of straight, parallel lines) you won't really notice it. It's not a fast lens, but it will still work for low light static shots (not low light action) thanks to the shake reduction in the camera.

I travelled to Peru last summer on a "lifetime" vacation, and the only lens I took was this lens. I was completely satisfied and didn't feel like I was compromising. Check the "Peru" set in my Flickr link to see the shots. I also created a Flickr group for all the variations of this lens (there's also a Pentax and Sony version of this lens) so you can see all the different types of shots taken with this lens. In my opinion, I think it's a great travel lens.

04-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I'd say 2GB is the minimum size I'd buy for the K200D, and 4GB is probably the "sweet spot". I never worried about speed as that only affects me during image transfer to the computer and I'm not in a hurry.

As for your second question, the Tamron 18-250 is a very nice lens, good image quality and convenience. Of course, there are compromises, but I think they did a nice job of keeping image quality up while minimizing the drawbacks. There is noticable vignetting at the wider ends, but it's pretty easily corrected in post processing if it affects the shot. You can also see some barrel distortion, but unless you're shooting architectural shots (lots of straight, parallel lines) you won't really notice it. It's not a fast lens, but it will still work for low light static shots (not low light action) thanks to the shake reduction in the camera.

I travelled to Peru last summer on a "lifetime" vacation, and the only lens I took was this lens. I was completely satisfied and didn't feel like I was compromising. Check the "Peru" set in my Flickr link to see the shots. I also created a Flickr group for all the variations of this lens (there's also a Pentax and Sony version of this lens) so you can see all the different types of shots taken with this lens. In my opinion, I think it's a great travel lens.
I've been using the Kingston two 4GB cards I got from buy.com for $19.00 and they work great, I don't know why I bought such a large card except my last camera was a bridgecam and I was used to shooting movies, now I have two cards that can shoot a lot of Raw or JPEGS at 10mp resolution.

Barry
04-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hewy57 Quote

I have the K10D, it has the same sensor as the K200D and I have the Tamron 18-250mm
Great combination.
The Tamron is a super lens, small, long reach, light, sharp.
Have a look at: Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
Also you can have a look at some of my webalbums, like: Picasa-webalbums - Bert - Tanzania 1-9-...
Most of this album was shot with the Tammy, the rest with a Canon Ixus 75.

You will not be disappointed!

- Bert
04-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

I did not buy the kit lens when I got my k10d ( same sensor as the k200d).

Instead I bought DA 18-250mm, the Pentax version of the same Tamron lens.

It is a very good walk around lens, easily replacing the twin kit lens DA18-55 and DA 50-200. Besides weighting less than the twin lens, the DA18-250 also saves me the trouble of swapping lens while traveling.

You will be happy with the Tamron as your first lens, until LBA creeps in. Enjoy it !!

Last edited by dancheng; 04-18-2008 at 08:55 AM.