Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20D Firmware ONLY Fix & Feature Requests

If there isn't an existing thread for the request you're posting here... PLEASE make one first, so we can all discuss your idea *there*.

And if you're just created a discussion thread for a request you've already added to this list, Thank you! Please edit to add your link to your original post.

----------------------

Three are a lot of great ideas for fixes and improvements that are posted here. And I'm afraid those who need to see them at Pentax may not have time to read our entire forum.

So I decided to try and create a central list of "Firmware *only* Fix & Feature Requests for the K20D". Just to make it easier for those at Pentax of course... to make it easier for us all.

So look at the list and feel free to add your own *firmware possible only* feature requests, with a short description, and a link to that requests' discussion thread.

My hope is that we can use this thread as 'index' of firmware requests, while keeping discussion of, and debate over the relative benefits and negatives of each request in that requests' specific discussion thread.

Here goes:
-----------------------

K20D Firmware ONLY, Fix & Feature Requests

1. Option for AF Button to perform AF action (if possible) even if body set to MF

For the AF button to "AF when pressed" if the lens has an AF motor, even if the body is set to MF. Might be an option. Might not.

Discussion at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24709-another-idea...-add-k20d.html

2. "Button" entry to Live View. Possibly Fn (brings up menu) then "Green"

A multi-key sequence such as "fn" (to open the function menu) then "green" to start live view would make live view helpful for those who use optical preview.

Discussion at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24709-another-idea...-add-k20d.html

3. *option* for Delete + Delete to delete the current image in review.
(But not to change "default" behavior!)

Also at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24709-another-idea...-add-k20d.html

4. Add/Restore "OFF" setting for "Slow Shutter Speed NR" option.

This problem effects response time for exposures over 0.3s and makes fireworks & night photography difficult. This is already available on the K10D & K200, and hopefully was left out / removed by accident. *FIX*

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/22521-finally-some...bout-k20d.html

5. Hyperfocal Program Setting and/or Indicator.

Perhaps the AF Button could toggle this?

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/19781-idea-future-...ocal-mode.html

6. Teleconverter multiplier setting.

Setting for a manual teleconverter multiplier. Should effect EXIF. Might effect SR. Might also be 'reset' upon each lens change. See http://<br /> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/2449...onverters.html

-----------------------

Those are the one's I've bookmarked anyway. What did I miss?

Last edited by Cedar; 04-24-2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Very Type A, can you tell?
04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Option to tell the camera the wide-open aperture and current ring setting for non-A lenses. (So the camera can meter w/o stopping down, based on the user input of open/stopped values)
04-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #3

Option to explicitly adjust the behaviour of Auto ISO. So that it's possible to individually set when the camera should raise ISO, depending on one's hand-holding experience with SR.

See Tweakable Auto ISO
04-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Option to use the AE-L button as an AF button.

When the grip is used, one cannot use the AF button to AF (out of reach), thus decoupling AF and AE isn't possible.

So give an option to use the AE-L button on the body&grip as an AF button while AE lock is performed by shutter half press (AF button could be reprogrammed to do something else... but I don't know why as all the relevant commands are adequatly placed ;-)).

04-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

what about a bracketing mode for creative exposures? It keeps the same exposure, but changes shutter speed and aperture accordingly.
04-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
JMS

Program mode with non-A type lenses. This should be feasible. Let me explain.

When Pentax went from M to A, the biggest difference was the method of aperture actuation. M-type and earlier cameras used an actuation method that was proportional to the diameter of the aperture opening. This didn't really matter at all to the camera, because it would always simply smash the coupling as far as it would go. However, with the advent of the KA-mount, the mount went to a system that was proportional to the area of the aperture. This was because with A-type lenses, the camera varied the amount it moved the aperture actuator, and the linear proportion, with area, was the only possible means, as the lenses didn't transmit FL data yet, and even if it did, calculating aperture data for AE would be very processor-intensive. Any A-type lens set to f2.8 would be the same as far as the camera knew. However, an M-type 85mm f2 is different from an M-type 50mm f2. My solution is this. With manual focus lenses on startup, you're required to enter FL anyway for SR uses. SO, what if there were an extra option, saying that this was an M- or K-type lens, and this is its maximum and minimum aperture? Because the camera would know everything about the lens, and has sufficient processing power, you'd be able to have full autoexposure, as long as you set the lens to its minimum aperture on the aperture ring. What do y'all think?
04-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
If there isn't an existing thread for the request you're posting here... PLEASE make one first, so we can all discuss your idea *there*.

And if you're just created a discussion thread for a request you've already added to this list, Thank you! Please edit to add your link to your original post.

04-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Updated: 12. "Info Screen" should include memory: "number of shots remaining" estimate.

When pressing "Info" (in non playback mode), the screen should include a count of the number of shots remaining before the SD card is full

Discussion thread here: discussion: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/25036-space-left-s...tml#post220455

Old Idea Was: OK button to display # remaining estimate if Display Sensitivity is ON. Disregard below this line.
--------------------------------
With "Display Sensitivity" = OFF, number of shots remaining is displayed, but pressing the OK button tells you your sensitivity.

With "Display Sensitivity" = On, the ISO displays on the viewfinder and top LCD, and the OK button does nothing.

It's minor, but so far as I can tell, there is no way without taking a photo to show the number of shots remaining with this setting to ON. Note: "OK" does work as suggested in SV & TAV Modes).

Pentax could correct this by having the OK button show the "# of shots left" whenever the Display Sensitivity option is ON.

Last edited by Cedar; 04-17-2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added sv tav note. changed request as per discussion
04-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ability to turn SR on permanently.
Discussed here
04-16-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
Forum Member

I would like the shutter time to be programmable longer than 30 seconds.

perhaps the row could go something like 30", 45", 1', 1.5', 2', 3', 5', 7.5', 10', 15', 20', 30'
That would be a trivial firmware change, which makes the camera much more useful for long exposures.

But, of course, the "darkframe cannot be disabled" bug is more important and has to be addressed first.
04-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #11

Allow us to see number of frames left when pushing OK button + Shutter release button.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/220986-post10.html

MaritimTim
04-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #12

In green mode which is supposed to be a very useful mode and efficient for someone not used to take picture, the flash should open automaticaly.

Most people would answer that it does not fit well with that kind off SLR but when my wife use it she would be pleased to have everything automatic.

See you
04-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BEDON Quote
In green mode which is supposed to be a very useful mode and efficient for someone not used to take picture, the flash should open automaticaly.

Most people would answer that it does not fit well with that kind off SLR but when my wife use it she would be pleased to have everything automatic.

See you
Do you also want the flash to go down by itself?
04-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #14

That would be soo amazing !!!
04-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cedar Quote
It's very minor, but so far as I can tell, there is no way without taking a photo to show the number of shots remaining with this setting to ON.
Actually I just discovered the following on my K20D.
  1. When you switch the camera off, for about half a second it displays the number of shots left (on top LCD only).
  2. If you are in one of these modes: Sv, Av, Tv or TAv; you can press OK to display the number of shots left (on top LCD and in viewfinder).
I do agree that it would be an improvement to have an easier way to display number of shots left. But NOT at the expense of displaying the ISO number!