Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first thought is the sky noise looks like when I sharpen post-shot, and randomness becomes sharply-defined randomness. The building looks great though!

While I really like the 16M sensor, I found the 12M k-x/r sensor nearly as good re. noise; I like iso5000 shots from both about equally.

02-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
I only shoot with fairly fast lenses, I have the 50mm 1.8, 35mm 2.4, and a Tamron 17-50 2.8, i rarely if ever shoot with anything else. I have old lenses down to f1.4 but rarely shoot with it anymore now that i purchased fast primes with auto focus.
The K-5 IIs will certainly help you clean up the High ISO images better. It may well be a good idea. But the K-r is already a very good High-ISO performer itself.

The DA50/1.8 and DA35/2.4 a very good lenses, especially for the price. But there is something amazing and beautiful about how premium, fast glass (primes f/2 or faster) picks up light at night. It's just not the same as using slower glass with a longer exposure. Lenses like the 3 FA Ltds (especially the 31 and 77) and K50/1.2 are good examples of this. Budget/Mid-priced 50's just don't seem to do the trick. Your old 50's probably don't either. I think the DA*55 would also be great at night (it certainly is a great overall lens), but I haven't had a chance to use one at night.

Get/try one of these first - I think it's more of what you're looking for. You can always buy the rapidly depreciating body later. The lens(es) will be more important, and as we know they're generally going up in price, not down.
02-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi,

All the members here have years of experience in shooting and upgrading to cameras. Plus a lot of technical knowledge.

I will summarize what everyone said above in one line though :P "Invest in lenses".

To add my own spice to your confusion; please don't shy away from Pentax K-50 either or K-500 (Essentially almost identical 16mp sensor as K-5II).

Here use this link:
Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-500 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Do the math.

In the end its your wallet.

Cheers!
02-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went from kx to k-30, so a very similar move. The IQ upgrade was pretty substantial at ISO 3200 and 6400. 12800 is barely useable, but sometimes that's all you can do.

Also, invest in some good NR software and learn how to use it. I've seen a big bump in IQ just learning to use LR properly.

The other thing that is worth mentioning is that stepping up to a pentaprism viewfinder is a huge deal for low light photography, and the 2 control wheels add significantly to the shooting experience. In Av mode, I have my front wheel set to control ISO, so I dial in my aperture and change ISO until I get the shutter speed I want. Or TAv, and set shutter and aperture directly and let ISO float. Both are really great modes, especially at night. Even if the IQ was the same, I'd still upgrade in a second.

As for K30/k50 vs K-5, it really comes down to better live view with focus peaking (K30/50) vs magnesium body, better battery, top LCD and better low-light focus (K-5ii)

Last edited by Kozlok; 02-15-2014 at 07:34 AM.
02-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Do nothing and wait to see if Pentax makes a move on a FF model at Photokina...
If I were you...and I wanted to continue to develop in photography on a limited budget...this is what I would do. I think there is a FF Pentax coming...eventually. lol You can always jump ship, but you can never get back the money you lost in changing systems...if any.
02-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I bought a k5 IIs. I couldn't help myself. I took the quality glass points to heart, and agree that glass is the most sound investment you can make in this hobby (hobby for me anyway)

I'm just too frustrated with a couple of things on the kr to stick with it. Little things like no auto bracketing and worthless ir remote (it has been a big headache for family portraits)

Anyway, I figure my personal k5IIs unit will be one of the last ones produced of a second generation system, it should be pretty robust (reliability wise) as Pentax would have worked out all of the kinks by now.

I feel like the k-5IIs is something I can grow into for a while. The biggest reason I didn't like the k50/500 is the non magnesium body, 12bit color depth, no actuation life estimates (ie makes suspect quality of internals) and oddly enough the lack of a mic input. The video capture on the k50/500 seemed superior to the k5II but your stuck with a mono mic, blah.

Anyway, I'm excited about the new system and I plan to sell my k-r and my backup k-100d super to offset the cost.

I appreciate everyone's input!
02-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
My first thought is the sky noise looks like when I sharpen post-shot, and randomness becomes sharply-defined randomness. The building looks great though!

This! A night shot, hand held(!), with that level of sharpness. I would trade the amount of detail in the building for the amount of noise present any day. What ISO is this? Keep in mind that if you push a camera to or near its max ISO setting, there is some compromise to be expected. Not saying the newer sensors wouldn't perform better to varying degrees, but there is a point of diminishing return on any camera. I think everyone has to weigh the investment in funds to realistic expectations on performance (based on that investment).
02-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #23

Sorry, I must have been writing my post as you posted yours about buying the k5 IIs. Congrats! Just for clarification, though......the K-r does indeed have a 3 frame auto bracketing.

02-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I meant one-press auto bracketing. You have to physically touch the camera three times with the k-r
02-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
Forum Member

Keep the camera - buy a new lens
If you're a family man with small kids - go for the Pentax 10-17.
If you're into experimenting - try the Lensbaby.
If you're kids have grown up and you're looking for mew thing to take pictures of have a look at one of the "Pentax Limited" lenses or maybe one of the manual Samyang lenses.
Finally - if you already have all this - buy a flash - and have a look at "Strobist Lighting 101" (Google it)
02-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #26
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Options for you:

- Wait to see what comes in September, if you don't mind paying the brand-new price, and hope they actually release something. (which they might not)
- Get a Full Frame in another brand such as the Nikon D610 or the Canon 6D (as you know, a bit expensive)
- Get a K-5II/s and a tripod then use longer shutter times.

Actually I recommend a tripod and longer shutter times anyways.. as well as a camera flash if you don't have one. Proper lighting is paramount!!!!
02-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Naturally the high iso performance leaves me desiring full-frame
Want to hear something funny?

I was just messing with my ancient K100D the other day. It has a 6 MP sensor, and the sensitivity and dynamic range are quite limited compared with today's models. I'd get better IQ if I was shooting 35mm film (especially since film has continued to improve). But then I took a few shots and put them under the loupe and realized the sensor isn't the big problem. I could live with it. I've taken some nice shots with it. What really gets me down is all the other stuff: only one command dial, relatively dim penta-mirror viewfinder, no live view, no weather sealing, no filter effects, no info panel, etc. We've come a long way.

Then I pick up the K-01 and take a few test shots. Wow! Today's sensors are so good, and I mean even entry-level APS-C sensors, that they're overkill for my needs. IQ is a solved problem for most of us, I think. The things that really matter to me these days are all related to the user interface, the ergonomics, the controls, the viewfinder. That's the sort of thing I'll be paying attention to from now on.
02-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Personally I would go with the k5IIs keep the Kr as a 2nd it will let you progress and expand your skills while awaiting the next latest and greatest.

You could always sell the Kr after you get comfortable with the IIs.

Or there are several K5's out there that are even less money to let you dabble with the features.
Hope I didn't muddy the water to much

JJ
02-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #29
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Options for you:

- Wait to see what comes in September, if you don't mind paying the brand-new price, and hope they actually release something. (which they might not)
- Get a Full Frame in another brand such as the Nikon D610 or the Canon 6D (as you know, a bit expensive)
- Get a K-5II/s and a tripod then use longer shutter times.

Actually I recommend a tripod and longer shutter times anyways.. as well as a camera flash if you don't have one. Proper lighting is paramount!!!!
Btw, when I mean that I recommend a camera flash.. I mean one that supports TTL and has a rotating/tilting head. The AF540 I or II as well as the AF360 II (but not the older original model) all rotate and tilt. There are also other options such as some Metz and Sigma flash units.. but, regardless which flash you get, if you are getting into photographing people, I'd get a flash and learn how to properly use it (bouncing) as well as posing people when possible.

No camera's sensor currently matches the combination of your human eyes and brain.. so if you are expecting your camera to perform as well as your vision, it isn't happening.. will need a means of drawing in more light to the camera's sensor (be it flash or longer shutter/tripod).