Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SD --> CompactFlash adapter for *ist D

I recently bought a *ist D from a fellow forum member here and I would like to know how well this body can work with SD cards when they are fitted into a CompactFlash adapter. Here is an example of what I am thinking of:

SD SDHC SDXC to CompactFlash CF Type II Memory Card Adapter Support UDMA | eBay

I'm not saying I want to use this exact make/model. It was just the first search result that came up in eBay.

Thanks!

02-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

My first Pentax. I keep it for the TTL flash and macro.

I have a couple of 4 GB CF cards and that's plenty.
02-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
My first Pentax. I keep it for the TTL flash and macro.

I have a couple of 4 GB CF cards and that's plenty.
I did the same - got a couple of basic 4 gb CF cards from Newegg. The read/writes are going to be slow, & I've seen no speed advantage when using faster cards. 4 gb will hold far more photos than the shot counter can display! (maxes at 999) I've never used an adapter, but I would make sure you have the latest firmware before trying one, esp with a card > 4gb.
02-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The goal of using the adapter is for me to stick with one medium - SD cards. I don't have a CF reader at home but I do have a lone 32 MB card. Speed is not important to me. If I want something fast and snappy I will use my K-30. The *ist D is a camera to be used for historical pleasure.

Oh, and it seems to have v1.12 of firmware.

02-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the *istD - Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. My favorite setup is using it with a 28 or 35mm prime - makes a nice compact little walkaround package. The large viewfinder makes MF so easy for me (as long as my eyes hold out!)