Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
You can buy a like new K-5 for under $500. I bought mine from KEH and it had 108 clicks on the shutter and not a blemish anywhere.
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DP029991225810?r=FE
I have never been disappointed by a camera bought from KEH. when they say it LN it really is. and the EX are also like new just a little higher shutter count.

Pentax Digital Camera Bodies - KEH.com

02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you 'toyed' with the idea of a K-01? It's a bunch of camera for very little cash on the used market. No weather sealing at all, and a somewhat different way to play - but menus are very familiar and results are impressive.
02-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Also,,and i know im going to get stoned for saying this,, but a used Canon 5D 10mp full frame camera can be acquired for around $600
02-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Also,,and i know im going to get stoned for saying this,, but a used Canon 5D 10mp full frame camera can be acquired for around $600
For what purpose?

02-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
For what purpose?
IDK,, pixel peeping? and maybe 100% coverage optical viewfinder.

Also the results of older full frame glass will "appear" sharper and wont get out-resolved by the higher density smaller sensor. On the other hand even cheep new digital cropped sensor lenses will look stunningly sharp in the center. Also FF offers more control over DOF.
interesting article found here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/full-frame-advantage.htm

Last edited by OldNoob; 02-18-2014 at 10:37 AM.
02-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IDK,, pixel peeping? and maybe 100% coverage optical viewfinder.

Also the results of older full frame glass will "appear" sharper and wont get out-resolved by the higher density smaller sensor. on the other hand new digital cropped sensor lenses will look stunningly sharp in the center.
All of which would be great if the 5D sensor was anywhere near as good as the Sony 16MP APS-C. And you can use Pentax lenses without having to shave the mirror or destroy the lens. BTW, both the K-5 and K-30 have 100% optical viewfinders.

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-18-2014 at 10:30 AM.
02-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Have you 'toyed' with the idea of a K-01? It's a bunch of camera for very little cash on the used market. No weather sealing at all, and a somewhat different way to play - but menus are very familiar and results are impressive.
HECK NO. Obviously you haven't seen any of my pithy comments on that topic. I'd honestly rather shoot with a $5 vacation pocket cam from Walmart than go there. I am a huge fan of most things Pentax but definitely not of that camera. I said so the first time we saw it, and I still think it's completely FUGLY. I won't be seen with it. :P

02-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
HECK NO. Obviously you haven't seen any of my pithy comments on that topic. I'd honestly rather shoot with a $5 vacation pocket cam from Walmart than go there. I am a huge fan of most things Pentax but definitely not of that camera. I said so the first time we saw it, and I still think it's completely FUGLY. I won't be seen with it. :P
You don't like it? I think it's adorkable!
02-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Well if you make money or intend to make a living from photography I would recommend get the best gear for the job. Currently Adorama is selling a brand new K5IIs for only $650. If you dont take any videos I see no point in purchasing a K30/K50. K5IIs was/is indeed rated as one of the best DSLRs ever made for stills photographers
02-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Double post...

Last edited by magkelly; 02-18-2014 at 12:02 PM.
02-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Sooo... can you tell us how you feel about the K-01!?

As between K-30 and K-5... personally I vote for the K-5...
02-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Although I do not own either camera, I would just like to make a personal opinion:

If you are taking on portrait shoots for money, then turning up with a 'professional' looking black K5 may make a better impression than a 'toy' looking candy red K30 (depending on your client of course!), despite the fact that photos from either one would be fine.

You just might have to justify it more to the client when using a red K30? (Could always get a black K30 though.)

JMO.

Edit: Just seen your post here in the d@rn K5 thread - maybe compromise on a black K30 if the K5 AF bothers you.
You know I used to give a hoot but I really don't think I care anymore. I am a total professional and the work I show them before I even start shows that. If me shooting with a dark red camera daunts them I don't think I'd want them for a client. It's the same thing with the darned camera saying Pentax vs Nikon or Canon. When I first started I lost a job or two even after someone saw my portfolio on my laptop just because they didn't like what I shot with. It was so stupid. There I was with a great portfolio finally happening and all they cared about was that my DSLR wasn't branded correctly. It bugged me for a minute maybe but then I just got to the point where I didn't care about image/brand conscious people. If they're that snobby the mere fact that I am shooting Pentax will be enough probably to dissuade them and IMHO good riddance.

Besides the fact that I just kind of like it myself, the K-30 design in that dark crystal red I think might actually work for me because of the type of work I do. I shoot kids, I shoot pets, I shoot a lot of interesting people with alternative lifestyles. I shoot boudoir work when I can get it. The K-30's bright color will work attract the pets and kids, and it definitely suits boudoir work with it's sexy styling and hot color. I think the seniors I shoot are likely to like it too. Older people buy a lot of sports cars. About the only people I am likely to have issues with that way are wedding and corporate people and I don't do much of that work anyway. I hate weddings, won't shoot them, and the corporate stuff I only do if I have to. It's dead boring and doesn't pay near as much as I'd like usually. The corporate people here are so cheap. They usually try to get me to work for free or near free. It's annoying so I don't hardly bother. The retail people I've worked with so far they don't even know or care what I shoot with. They're aren't usually there for the actual product shoots and so long as I show up with tiff and jpeg files for them after it's a non-issue. Ultimately I'm the one who has to live with it, use it every day.

I have a black K-x. That's my second body, will be till I get another WR camera down the road. Bottom line is me getting the best camera and the best deal I can find under budget. Color is definitely a secondary priority but if I am going to get a K-30 it likely won't be black if I can help it. I'm dead bored with black digital bodies. I don't mind the K-30 in black but it's definitely not my preference and the way I see it life is too short to live my life worrying about other people and what they think so much. I didn't leave corporate America so I could end up catering to it. I left because I wanted to do what I loved. If I wanted to impress people I'd be shooting with a Nikon or a Canon. I'm not. I'm a Pentaxian. Enough said...

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 01:47 PM ----------

I'm not into switching brands. A: I don't like Canon anything, never did. If I wasn't shooting Pentax I'd be shooting Nikon probably. B. All my lenses are Pentax mount and I have a lot of them, cough. So swapping brands would be very counter productive for me. C. I don't need full frame to do my job and if I absolutely do I have film cameras that can cover that one.

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 02:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
Well if you make money or intend to make a living from photography I would recommend get the best gear for the job. Currently Adorama is selling a brand new K5IIs for only $650. If you dont take any videos I see no point in purchasing a K30/K50. K5IIs was/is indeed rated as one of the best DSLRs ever made for stills photographers
A K5II is above my current budget and my credit limit for the new credit card I want to use but I just may go there about a year from now when I can get one sub $500. I'm going to retire the K-x completely sooner or later. I really need two working WR bodies eventually anyway. For now a K-5 or a K-30 just fits the budget a bit better. I figure I get that now then it can be my backup for the K5II when I can afford one of those. I don't have the extra $150-250 it would take on my credit limit to play with. My new card only has a $550 limit on it so I have to keep that in mind when I choose my new camera. Max, I'm trying to keep it at about $500-550 for right now. I have some $$$ socked away but really want to use the $$$ in my kitty bank for the 18-135MM WR to go with. Most of the K5II's I've seen even used are well over $650-800. So are K-30 kits with the 18-135MM so they're just a bit out of budget for me using that card. If I could find one sub $550 I'd be all over it but I have yet to find a used K5II body for that at Amazon or KEH or wherever. I've been looking but so far $650-800 seems the range and it's just a wee bit over what I can charge unfortunately. K-5's, K-30's fall squarely into the range of my limit and what I can really afford right now.
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought we'd heard from you on that, sorry I was too lazy to recheck & pushed a button. (two buttons, a 'send' and an emotional one!)
02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

You know I used to give a hoot but I really don't think I care anymore. I am a total professional and the work I show them before I even start shows that. If me shooting with a dark red camera daunts them I don't think I'd want them for a client. It's the same thing with the darned camera saying Pentax vs Nikon or Canon. When I first started I lost a job or two even after someone saw my portfolio on my laptop just because they didn't like what I shot with. It was so stupid. There I was with a great portfolio finally happening and all they cared about was that my DSLR wasn't branded correctly. It bugged me for a minute maybe but then I just got to the point where I didn't care about image/brand conscious people. If they're that snobby the mere fact that I am shooting Pentax will be enough probably to dissuade them and IMHO good riddance.

Besides the fact that I just kind of like it myself, the K-30 design in that dark crystal red I think might actually work for me because of the type of work I do. I shoot kids, I shoot pets, I shoot a lot of interesting people with alternative lifestyles. I shoot boudoir work when I can get it. The K-30's bright color will work attract the pets and kids, and it definitely suits boudoir work with it's sexy styling and hot color. I think the seniors I shoot are likely to like it too. Older people buy a lot of sports cars. About the only people I am likely to have issues with that way are wedding and corporate people and I don't do much of that work anyway. I hate weddings, won't shoot them, and the corporate stuff I only do if I have to. It's dead boring and doesn't pay near as much as I'd like usually. The corporate people here are so cheap. They usually try to get me to work for free or near free. It's annoying so I don't hardly bother. The retail people I've worked with so far they don't even know or care what I shoot with. They're aren't usually there for the actual product shoots and so long as I show up with tiff and jpeg files for them after it's a non-issue. Ultimately I'm the one who has to live with it, use it every day.

I have a black K-x. That's my second body, will be till I get another WR camera down the road. Bottom line is me getting the best camera and the best deal I can find under budget. Color is definitely a secondary priority but if I am going to get a K-30 it likely won't be black if I can help it. I'm dead bored with black digital bodies. I don't mind the K-30 in black but it's definitely not my preference and the way I see it life is too short to live my life worrying about other people and what they think so much. I didn't leave corporate America so I could end up catering to it. I left because I wanted to do what I loved. If I wanted to impress people I'd be shooting with a Nikon or a Canon. I'm not. I'm a Pentaxian. Enough said...

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 01:47 PM ----------

I'm not into switching brands. A: I don't like Canon anything, never did. If I wasn't shooting Pentax I'd be shooting Nikon probably. B. All my lenses are Pentax mount and I have a lot of them, cough. So swapping brands would be very counter productive for me. C. I don't need full frame to do my job and if I absolutely do I have film cameras that can cover that one.

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 02:01 PM ----------

A K5II is above my current budget and my credit limit for the new credit card I want to use but I just may go there about a year from now when I can get one sub $500. I'm going to retire the K-x completely sooner or later. I really need two working WR bodies eventually anyway. For now a K-5 or a K-30 just fits the budget a bit better. I figure I get that now then it can be my backup for the K5II when I can afford one of those. I don't have the extra $150-250 it would take on my credit limit to play with. My new card only has a $550 limit on it so I have to keep that in mind when I choose my new camera. Max, I'm trying to keep it at about $500-550 for right now. I have some $$$ socked away but really want to use the $$$ in my kitty bank for the 18-135MM WR to go with. Most of the K5II's I've seen even used are well over $650-800. So are K-30 kits with the 18-135MM so they're just a bit out of budget for me using that card. If I could find one sub $550 I'd be all over it but I have yet to find a used K5II body for that at Amazon or KEH or wherever. I've been looking but so far $650-800 seems the range and it's just a wee bit over what I can charge unfortunately. K-5's, K-30's fall squarely into the range of my limit and what I can really afford right now.
Why are you not looking at ebay or PF Marketplace For Sale section for a used K5II/IIs? Remember seeing a mildly used K30 going for $350 shipped on PF not very many days ago.
K5/II/IIs series is essentially a 2009 technology. K30/K50 is little better 2012 tech. K5 Classic still takes superb images granted, but why dont you try posting your request in the 'To Buy' section for your price? I am confident you could snag a moderately used K5II for 550 bucks! Good luck!
02-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
also keep in mind the k-5 series shutter is rated for over 100,000 activations, where as the k-30 the shutter life is never OFFICIALLY given by Ricoh
My K-30 has 12k shutter cycles since I got it in June 2013. Still going strong. I read somewhere that 50k is not unreasonable for modern DSLR cameras. There's a story floating around here about a Pentax body with over 100k actuation. I can't remember the model. The original owner sold it and it somehow magically found its way back to him.