Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
K5 Classic still takes superb images granted, but why dont you try posting your request in the 'To Buy' section for your price? I am confident you could snag a moderately used K5II for 550 bucks! Good luck!
Yeah I could. But that would mean using Pay Pal, which I'm not into doing, and probably paying a fair bit more than I would on Amazon or KEH to be blunt. Prices on the market are almost higher than on Amazon or over at KEH. A used K-5 on the market here still runs over $500-600. K5II's are still pricey all over. $600 plus usually even used. A used K-5 on Amazon runs $425-450. $500-550 maybe with the kit lens. A K-30 body can be had new for $415 on Amazon, for $250-350 used there or elsewhere. At $250-325 I might buy used, but anything like $400 and I am likely to buy new so I can get a Pentax warranty. Might as well at that point. I have been offered several K-5's. Most of the people asking wanted well over $500 for one and most of them wanted closer to $600, even sans a WR lens. One person did offer me one a while back for a really decent price but back then I couldn't afford it and couldn't snap it up. Since then nothing Amazon etc can't beat. It's a question of keeping to budget, shrug. Right now a K5 fits the budget, so does a K-30, better than a K5II or a K-50.

Last edited by magkelly; 02-18-2014 at 04:19 PM.
02-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Buy the k-30 in red. It's what you really want.
02-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I could have had the red one for like $360 if my new credit card had arrived today and if someone hadn't beaten me to it. Now I'll have to pay $499 for it if I want it on Amazon because of course the red version has to cost $75 more just because it's red, lol. I'm definitely thinking about it though. Black, white, blue, several other colors, all cheaper than red though. It sucks. :P

---------- Post added 02-18-14 at 09:58 PM ----------

What's the verdict on Electronics Basket? Last thing I read you could get the Pentax warranty with a camera bought from them but I'm reading the feedback and it looks like maybe not? Are they gray market or not? If I buy new from them do I get the owner's card and that or not? If not, I'm definitely going used. There's no point otherwise in paying more...Thanks!
02-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Besides the fact that I just kind of like it myself, the K-30 design in that dark crystal red I think might actually work for me because of the type of work I do. I shoot kids, I shoot pets, I shoot a lot of interesting people with alternative lifestyles. I shoot boudoir work when I can get it. The K-30's bright color will work attract the pets and kids, and it definitely suits boudoir work with it's sexy styling and hot color. I think the seniors I shoot are likely to like it too. Older people buy a lot of sports cars. About the only people I am likely to have issues with that way are wedding and corporate people and I don't do much of that work anyway....<snip>

Ultimately I'm the one who has to live with it, use it every day.
Fair enough!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Buy the k-30 in red. It's what you really want.
What he said.

02-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, well unfortunately it looks like my getting a new WR camera is now on hold, AGAIN. The new credit card I'm supposed to be getting turned out to be a total scam. They sent me an email telling me my card had been processed and sent and would arrive in the mail the next day or two but the terms they also sent me for it were totally different. Major fees were assessed to the card that I was not informed of when I applied to the tune of like $250! They wanted me to make a monthly payment online before I even had the card in hand. Talk about raising red flags! No way. My credit may not be perfect but it's not nearly THAT bad. What I applied for card-wise, and was told I qualified for, and what I got issued to me were apparently 2 totally different things. I immediately canceled it via phone and demanded a letter stating the account was closed, never used, and that no fees would be assessed. I'm cutting up the card if it shows up. I'm not stupid enough to fall for that kind of bait and switch nonsense. End of subject.

Also, my roommate has just informed me that she's moving in with her GF as of the first of March. I knew she was thinking about it but she just gave me all of a week's notice. Because she's someone I've known since I was like 11 I didn't ask her for a deposit or for last month. (She's like my sister practically and so is her GF who I've known almost as long.) So I now have to pay her share of the maintenance fee on my place from now on. I can deal with that but I won't be buying any more gear this year probably unless my other card gives me a limit increase late this Spring. I am due for one, in May or thereabouts, I think.

It never fails. I get a few hundred in my kitty bank earmarked for new gear and it ends up going for anything but. So no shiny red K-30 for me, sigh. No used K-5. No 18-135mm WR lens. Just more freaking rent I'll have to pay. :P About the only good thing about this is with her going I can finally turn her room into my bedroom again and use my living room as a studio instead of as my own bedroom. It's actually a 2 bedroom place but the 2nd bedroom is so small that I made it into an office/TV room, put up a quickie plywood wall and made the LR into my bedroom. Now I'll take the master bedroom back and turn my LR into a place to work. I've been wanting to do that for a while now actually so her moving out isn't a bad thing overall. Her timing just kind of sucks a bit. A little bit of notice would have been nice, but whatever, she's finally moving in with her honey, and I can't hardly object to that because she really is the nicest person. She treats my roomie like a queen, and I wish both of them nothing but the best, even if it will kill my wallet at an inconvenient time...

I was THISCLOSE though.

DARN it, grin....
02-20-2014, 12:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I decided to fund it by selling off some stuff. I've never had much luck with that, but WTH, I'm going to try.

Edit removed. Never mind. I shouldn't have said this. I had a bit of a snit fit, shrug...

Last edited by magkelly; 02-23-2014 at 06:48 PM.
02-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it's never a good idea to get yourself in debt to finance your hobbies. Trust me, I've been there. It took me years to get out of it.

Just keep on shooting that K-x until you can afford a new one. It's a capable camera. I'm shooting away with my K20D while every once in a while I am tempted by the new and nicely priced cameras. But I ask myself, what's holding me back? Is it my camera? Is it my lenses? I always get to the conclusion that I'm not nearly close to exhausting the possibilities of the gear that I have. And you have a lot more stuff than I do, I'm sure there's something there in your shelf that's being neglected right now. Get out and shoot! You won't regret it

02-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #38

Have a K-5 and love it. At the price you can get it for at this point, I believe it is well worth it.
02-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I removed my ad. It's an exercise in futility apparently for me to try to sell anything online sans Pay Pal. 4 years on this board and I still can't sell so much as a filter set without it and having set myself up with Amazon Payments apparently didn't make any difference. The only people that got back to me basically said as much, that they wanted stuff but not if I didn't have Pay Pal. Can't go there without switching banks, and frankly I don't want to go there. I'm actually going to be selling my extra stuff on Amazon I think. I've opened up a seller's account on there. We'll see how I do. If I can make $500-650 I'll get a K5 or K5II, if not I'll wait till May when I am supposed to get a credit limit increase on my CU card and grab a K-5 or K-30 used.
02-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Why would you have to switch banks?
02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Because the bank (credit union actually) I use makes it very difficult to link a bank account or credit card that they issue to Pay Pal. They've had major problems apparently with them and they don't like to do it anymore. Apparently it's mutual loathing because pay Pal doesn't like them either. I actually did open an account with Pay Pal but I couldn't get Pay Pal to verify me using my bank's Visa card. They actually told me to get another card from another bank if I wanted to use them. I said forget it. I've been banking there since I was 10. I've had the same credit card for 12 years. I'm not going to move my account and I don't particularly want to get another card just to link that either. I've looked into it but I'd never get the interest rates I do with them elsewhere. Amazon that was no problem. But Pay Pal? That was a whole other thing apparently. Unfortunately no one seems to want to use Amazon payments, just Pay Pal. I'm kind of sick of it actually. I feel like Pay Pal owns the whole internet. I'm not religious but if I was I'd be wondering if Pay Pal was "the mark of the beast" at this point. That's how hard it is these days to buy or sell online without it. :P
02-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #42
Site Supporter

My credit union account & PayPal play nicely with each other. Maybe set up an account with Capital One 360? (Used to be ING. Online savings account.)
02-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I've actually sold all things I had for sale, on Craigslist in the last couple years or so, rather than on Ebay or anywhere else where I'd need PayPal... sure, it takes a bit longer usually, and you don't sell everything you want to (some items took several months, some never sold). But that's what has financed my DSLR adventure so far - I'm now at 1 K20D, 2 film cameras (1 Pentax, 1 Minolta) and about 14 lenses - plus other accessories like filters, 2 flashes, a nice bag...
There's life outside of Paypal
Only a few things were bought using Paypal - mostly some 3 cheap manual lenses I bought off of this forum, including my two beloved Rikenons.
02-24-2014, 07:09 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CL is pretty dead here unfortunately. I've sold one thing on there in the past year I think. I'm going to try it again this weekend, then just list what I want on Amazon after that. I'm actually seeing a lot more people doing that, using Amazon instead of Ebay and that. I've been on Amazon for like a decade. I'm already set up to sell and I've got books and doll stuff I want to unload too. I almost wish I could do Ebay but you can't sign up for Ebay sans Pay Pal either...
02-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I haven't used Amazon but it does seem like a good option. And hopefully you'll get a new roomie soon. Good luck to you!