Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 03:35 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 styling: will it ever return?

I absolutely love my K-30 styling. I just find the k-50 too plain vanilla for my liking. I hope Ricoh/Pentax brings back the K-30 styling rather than the generic look at some point.

02-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I completely share your view. I also really like the K-30 styling. It is not vanilla at all. Even compared to other pentax models.
02-17-2014, 05:07 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I absolutely love my K-30 styling. I just find the k-50 too plain vanilla for my liking. I hope Ricoh/Pentax brings back the K-30 styling rather than the generic look at some point.

They got the Apple spirit on the K-30. Make it look good....and make it work well. Can't fail! I saw a cut-away of the K-30 once, which proved the top 'horn' has no function other than design. It's still great. Given Ricoh's excellent design brief with the GR, let's hope the continued Pentax/Ricoh approach leads to continued excellence in handling, image and design.
02-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's funny to observe how opinions vary so wildly on styling. To me... Well, to me the K-30 looks like a cross between a Transformers toy and a cheap running shoe. Maybe it really appeals to the younger generation who watch those Transformers movies? If I had one, I'd probably get used to it pretty quickly. I got used to the yellow K-01, so I can probably adapt to anything.

However... Then I look at the K-50 and say: It's like they took the K-30 and stripped off all the layers of ugly! It looks like a real camera now. (But I'd get the K-50 in some color besides black, because that is kind of bland.)

02-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Maybe it really appeals to the younger generation who watch those Transformers movies?
I'm an old 44 year old codger & I really like the bold and slightly aggressive style of the K-30. I think it's a great looking piece of gear, and it's styling sets it apart from the pack.
02-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

younger generation
How old are you...80?
02-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Its odd that all the cameras that were so criticized for their appearance when they first came out, are so popular now.
The K-01 was called a brick and ugly, now its almost a cult camera, with its funky colours. In Japan they even made a new run (the white/blue) because of the demand.
The K-30 was also criticized, that it has odd textures, doesn't look enough like a DSLR and things like that, but now that it was replaced with the classic-looking K-50, the demand for the K-30 is back, especially for its sporty looks

02-17-2014, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Maybe some of us want funky Transformers cameras! And yellow bricks!
02-17-2014, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I'm 52 and have no problem with the styling of the K30, although mine is now in the hands of my 23 year old son! Still, I do find it hard to see the styling of a camera when looking through the viewfinder!
02-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC there were several third-party lenses that didn't fit under the flash horn, so I suppose Ricoh took a 'form follows function' approach with the more classic design. Maybe there's a reason so many cameras share these basic dimensions, the way sedans share their basic orientation.
02-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its odd that all the cameras that were so criticized for their appearance when they first came out, are so popular now.
The K-01 was called a brick and ugly, now its almost a cult camera, with its funky colours.
They did come in black too. I kind of wish I'd got the black K-01 now. It looks almost Bahaus to me. The yellow one looks like dive gear.
02-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

i wanted a K30 to replace my K20, but did not pull the trigger because they did not offer a battery grip to go with it.
i'm 47 and love the sleek sports sedan look.

I would love the pentax/ricoh ff camera to be a slightly larger version of the k30. talk about making a statement!
02-17-2014, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

However... Then I look at the K-50 and say: It's like they took the K-30 and stripped off all the layers of ugly! It looks like a real camera now. (But I'd get the K-50 in some color besides black, because that is kind of bland.)
Rather than 'stripping off the layers of ugly' it seems more to me like they poured some standard issue Canikon blobby-goo over it, though thankfully they did not pour the whole bottle.
02-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I first saw the crystal red K-30 I was totally mesmerized by it. I still am a bit lured. I know I probably need a K-5 really work-wise it just makes more sense, but that red K-30 still sings a siren song I can't quite tune out. I loved the design on the K-30, think the K-50 is an ugly brick by comparison. I'll probably get me a K-5 for now, but I still think that one of these days I'm still going to end up with a red K-30 because I just plain WANT one. Prices on used ones are falling rapidly. I'll probably cave and get me one used sooner or later and it will probably be crystal red when I do. I'm still obsessed....:P
02-17-2014, 05:37 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
How old are you...80?
Get off my lawn, or I'll whack you with my Spotmatic!