Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Great thread. I am glad I am not alone in the love for K30 styling. I have resisted ordering a K30 almost a dozen times. Especially at $439 on Amazon it is a no-brainer. K50 is just so much traditional and boring. Its like the Nissan Maxima and K30 is the Infiniti G37. Everything under the hood is almost same but talk about styling. K30 is a looker for sure.
If I had the money I would buy the K30 just for its looks and nothing else. But if my better half finds out you will never see me again on this place

02-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
Get off my lawn, or I'll whack you with my Spotmatic!
Ok grandpa, calm down!
02-17-2014, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeh - K50 design is boring, K-30 design is really cool looking.

Oh - I'm 53!
02-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand what people find so ... different... with the K30. When you look at it, it looks like a DSLR. When you look closely, you see some nice touches like the texturing of the grip, but there is nothing out of this world about it. I agree that it looks less vanilla but not SO different as to create a love/hate reaction.

That being said, I tend to like it a lot. Just like I like the brutal shape of the prism box on the K-3.

02-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

i hope the k-30's styling doesn't return. that way my camera will maintain a good resale value.
02-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC there were several third-party lenses that didn't fit under the flash horn, so I suppose Ricoh took a 'form follows function' approach with the more classic design. Maybe there's a reason so many cameras share these basic dimensions, the way sedans share their basic orientation.
I know with my Samyang 85mm, my finger could baaaaaarely fit under there to move the aperture ring off the 'A' setting.
And i believe the Samyang T/S lens doesn't work because of that hump and was the reason they didn't release it for Pentax.

Other than that, i really liked the K-30s styling as well.
But i doubt they will ever release a similarly styled camera, otherwise, they would not have canned it so quickly.
02-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
And i believe the Samyang T/S lens doesn't work because of that hump and was the reason they didn't release it for Pentax.
Pretty sure they did release it by now. But I do agree that functionality is important, and no part of the design should limit it

02-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Pretty sure they did release it by now. But I do agree that functionality is important, and no part of the design should limit it
You are right, I stand corrected.
02-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
i hope the k-30's styling doesn't return. that way my camera will maintain a good resale value.
You're not going to get much in the way of resale it seems.. Pentax bodies tend to halve in price after a year or so.

I still have yet to sell my K-30.. only get low offers or people who seem to like it but not commit (think they are looking for Canon or Nikon -- what is a 'Pentax' is that a Home shopping network brand?)

-------

I never really cared what the camera looked like.. short of something really obnoxious.. I mean it is a tool to take photographs not a piece of jewlery to wave in the air like I'm important.