Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #1

Looking for a second body for Weddings

Hi Guys,

I shoot Weddings and my main body is a K-3. My current spare is my old body (a K-r) but this just doesn't cut the mustard for Wedding photography is just too 'entry level' to give me all the features I need. Dials on the front and back are a minimum and an lcd on the top of the body.

I shot a Wedding this weekend but thankfully used a friends Nikon D600 as my second body with a 70-200 lens and this was lovely.

I'm planning on selling the K-r and getting something else - i'm currently thinking a used K-5 although these still fetch a pretty penny. Just had an idea though, what about a used K20D? I've never really looking into the K20D before but from what I can tell - it's 14MP, semi-pro and you can get a battery grip for it.

What do you guys think? Is a K20D really worth it for a second body? Or shall I be looking at at K-5 or K-5 II

Cheers

Alex

02-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Better use K5ii for its low light focusing capabilities
02-17-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Definitely K5II.

You can't risk getting the shots.
02-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys - do you think I can get away with a used K-5 though? As this is much more financially viable - at least at the moment. Then I can potentially upgrade to a K-5 II later.

I think the K-5 will be adequate as i'm not normally shooting in low light except for the first dance and i'm often using flash then anyway.

Cheers

02-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe K5 should serve you very well for what you mentioned

Also, how would you compare K3 with D600? (sorry, if it is a little offtopic )

Last edited by Apapukas; 02-17-2014 at 06:43 AM.
02-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 has some focusing woes in low light and/or tinted lighting that could be annoying for weddings. I haven't done weddings with my two K-5's but events and sports and faced the issues. They are workable but I guess weddings don't allow for mistakes.
02-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
K-5 has some focusing woes in low light and/or tinted lighting that could be annoying for weddings. I haven't done weddings with my two K-5's but events and sports and faced the issues. They are workable but I guess weddings don't allow for mistakes.
Ok thanks, yes I guess the focusing woes could become an issue but as it will be a second body I can overcome this with my K-3, the low light stuff will only be shot with the K-3 anyway. In fact I tried to shoot some of the first dance at the Wedding this weekend with the D600 and it failed miserably, the K-3 was so much better at focusing in low light!

---------- Post added 02-17-14 at 08:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
I believe K5 should serve you very well for what you mentioned

Also, how would you compare K3 with D600? (sorry, if it is a little offtopic )
Thanks

Re K-3 VS D600 I found the K-3 to be far superior. Don't get me wrong the D600 is an awesome piece of kit but I found the photos to be very soft in comparison to those from the K-3, that could have just been the Sigma 70-200 2.8 I was shooting with though. I also found the low light performance to be poor - the D600 struggled to focus during the first dance but my K-3 could focus flawlessly in the low light. Finally the AF was a bit annoying - I had it set to a single point in the center but it just would't focus on what I wanted half the time. All that being said it was cool to shoot with a FF and having some massive RAW files that I can crop like crazy and still keep the detail!

Cheers

Alex
02-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote

Re K-3 VS D600 I found the K-3 to be far superior. Don't get me wrong the D600 is an awesome piece of kit but I found the photos to be very soft in comparison to those from the K-3, that could have just been the Sigma 70-200 2.8 I was shooting with though. I also found the low light performance to be poor - the D600 struggled to focus during the first dance but my K-3 could focus flawlessly in the low light. Finally the AF was a bit annoying - I had it set to a single point in the center but it just would't focus on what I wanted half the time. All that being said it was cool to shoot with a FF and having some massive RAW files that I can crop like crazy and still keep the detail!

Cheers

Alex
Thanks!
It is really pleasing to now that the K3 packs so much punch

02-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What is your budget? Seems pretty simple, just set one and survey the market place for average prices on the bodies that fit your needs and budget then when one comes up buy it.
02-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks guys - do you think I can get away with a used K-5 though? As this is much more financially viable - at least at the moment. Then I can potentially upgrade to a K-5 II later.

I think the K-5 will be adequate as i'm not normally shooting in low light except for the first dance and i'm often using flash then anyway.

Cheers
The K-5 has not become a bad camera overnight. Of course you can use it for weddings. I have covered about 35 weddings using K-5. One thing is for sure you should never go on a wedding job with a camera you don't know. best case scenario you will have moments of great solitude starring at your LCD screen, and worse case, well you will fail delivering quality photographs or crucial shots. If you master your K-r it is the camera to use at weddings then.

If you use K-5 for portrait do not target the face, go for a bigger area like the chest. If you AF on the face from too far away, your K-5 might lock focus on something in the background, like a wall or a tree. The center point is huge, be careful. Same advice for the first kiss picture, lock your focus on the largest area and pre-adjust your focus prior the kiss when you feel it coming, re-adjust and shoot, re-adjust and shoot and re-adjust and shoot as long as they kiss.

For the first dance, the good news is you have 3 to 5 minutes to get 3 to 4 great shots. I'd say definitely use your K-3. I used mine for two weddings this year and continuous AF on the dancers with center 6 points worked great for me. The K-5 would work too of course but your ratio might not be so great.

This helped me secure my shots.
02-17-2014, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I shoot Weddings and my main body is a K-3. used a friends Nikon D600 as my second body
That's what I call the proper attitude
02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Looking for a second body for Weddings
If your doing weddings as a paid gig or as a profession, don't mess about, just get another K-3 exactly the same as the first, continuity in use, without dramas.
03-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #13

I second Kerrodown, if you are phographing weddings for a living: another K-3 is the way to go. I used to shoot weddings semi-pro: even then, I used both a Pentax LX with Pentax AF280T flash, a KX with Vivitar 283 flash and 28mm M f2.8, 50mm A f2.0 and 70-210mm A f4 and ISO 200 color film, No surprises here either, because both LX and KX handled the same way and film resolution was the same.
03-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I'm with Kerrowdown. Get another K-3, or a K-5 II at the very least. Charge enough for your work and it will pay for itself in no time.