Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible problem with a 32 BG Sandisk from Aden Camera ?

Hello folks.

I have purchased a "On Special" Sandisk Extreme 32 GB from Aden Camera back in August 2013 but started to use it only during late December - early January (2013-2014).

Something is happening as follows:
(Windows 7 64 bits, USB 3 card reader with updated USB 3 drivers on computer, Seagate 3TB USB 3 external drive)
Note: SD card formatted with the K5 before taking the pictures.

1. take pictures (K5 and DA*300/4)
2. review pics ... all there
3. take card out of camera and insert into USB 3 card reader
4. review pictures with PDCU 4 .... all pictures there (RAW)
5. copy pictures from SD card to Seagate drive
6. check if all pictures are there on Seagate drive: yes

7. go back to SD card and delete folder
..... this where it gets weird.

Once in a while only, I get a message that this folder requires administration permission (or something like that) when I am the only one using this computer anyway and it has never been set up for "other users"; I have full admin access.

Once in a while also, I get another sort of message indicating : Access denied
and this is weird.

Of course, I eventually can access the SD card files/folders once I close PDCU and properly disconnect the USB 3 Seagate drive so that I can delete the files/folders at will.

I will test this again tomorrow with my "old" 8 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (which has never failed me) and see if I get the same errors, but my feeling is that it could be a bad card.
Note also that this never happened when I was using a USB 2 card reader on a USB2 or 3 port, nor did it happen when I was using the 8 GB Sandisk card.

My questions: Has anyone ever come across such a thing and, if so, what was/is the problem (and what did you do to fix it) ?

Hoping someone will be able to tell me what's going on.

Thanks!!

JP

02-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try running error checking on the card and attempt to recover bad sector if you are on Windows, not sure of the Mac equivalent. So the system marks bad area on the card and won't use it in the future. I have had weird things like this before.
02-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Is the card's lock enabled?

Also, does the computer have a default automatic action set up for SD cards? It might say "access denied" if the card is "in use" by some background service
02-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Try running error checking on the card and attempt to recover bad sector if you are on Windows, not sure of the Mac equivalent. So the system marks bad area on the card and won't use it in the future. I have had weird things like this before.
I'll do that ... never thought about it.
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Is the card's lock enabled?

Also, does the computer have a default automatic action set up for SD cards? It might say "access denied" if the card is "in use" by some background service
Card lock NOT enabled.
I wouldn't think that the computer has a default action setup for SD cards, unless I am mistaken, because this is the very first time in many years of using SD cards that this has happened. Is there a way to find out for sure? I doubt that there is such a thing here.
As for a background device ... maybe it is happening when PDCU is still "ON" while the images are showing in the software from the SD card ... so that could have been the "problem".

Thanks!

JP

02-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I think the default action is buried somewhere in general OS options. Best to google it for your specific OS.
And yes, software can sometimes flag the SD card as "in use" even though it doesn't appear to be in use. Sometimes its even background software or software that you exited, but is still shutting down behind the scenes. Maybe if you give it some more time
02-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

With USB 3 you have to be careful about both the USB 3 chip on the device and the one in the computer. In addition, occasionally you have to worry about the USB 3 driver on the computer.

I have a (~2 year old?) WD USB 3.0 1TB 2.5" external drive that only connects reliably to the USB3 ports on about half the computers I try it on (it always works fine with a USB 2.0 port). WD released another revision of this drive with a different USB 3.0 chip that doesn't have this problem. It can have issues on either Windows or OS X.

USB 3.0 card readers could have problems too. So just make sure all the pieces are OK. In the worst case you might have to replace the card reader and possibly add another USB 3 port to the computer with the proper drivers.
02-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
With USB 3 you have to be careful about both the USB 3 chip on the device and the one in the computer. In addition, occasionally you have to worry about the USB 3 driver on the computer.

I have a (~2 year old?) WD USB 3.0 1TB 2.5" external drive that only connects reliably to the USB3 ports on about half the computers I try it on (it always works fine with a USB 2.0 port). WD released another revision of this drive with a different USB 3.0 chip that doesn't have this problem. It can have issues on either Windows or OS X.

USB 3.0 card readers could have problems too. So just make sure all the pieces are OK. In the worst case you might have to replace the card reader and possibly add another USB 3 port to the computer with the proper drivers.
This is an "issue" which I discussed at length with my "geeks" at the computer store:

First, the fellow told me to install updated drivers for the USB ports (2 of them) and I did that.
While we were at it, I also installed new drivers for the video cards.

The initial "problem" was that the external USB 3 Seagate 3TB drive was glitchy, sometimes refusing to be recognized by the computer but now it seems to be good since I've had no problems with it ever since (updating the drivers).

Na Horuk mentioned that "... yes, software can sometimes flag the SD card as "in use" even though it doesn't appear to be in use. Sometimes its even background software or software that you exited, but is still shutting down behind the scenes. Maybe if you give it some more time."

So, I suppose the best thing to do now is to take some pics, load them up with the USB3 card reader to the computer and also to the external USB3 drive and see what happens with the 32 GB Sandisk Extreme.
If it acts up, I will then switch card for an 8GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, and test it the same way.

I can always test the whole thing again with a USB2 port ... I usually do fine with that but is it ever slow!

Thanks for the feedabck.

JP
02-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully, you'll have your problem resolved with the steps you've taken.

Fwiw, I think it was probably the open PDCU. You might try recreating the issue. PDCU open vs closed.

02-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is an "issue" which I discussed at length with my "geeks" at the computer store:

First, the fellow told me to install updated drivers for the USB ports (2 of them) and I did that.
While we were at it, I also installed new drivers for the video cards.

The initial "problem" was that the external USB 3 Seagate 3TB drive was glitchy, sometimes refusing to be recognized by the computer but now it seems to be good since I've had no problems with it ever since (updating the drivers).

Na Horuk mentioned that "... yes, software can sometimes flag the SD card as "in use" even though it doesn't appear to be in use. Sometimes its even background software or software that you exited, but is still shutting down behind the scenes. Maybe if you give it some more time."

So, I suppose the best thing to do now is to take some pics, load them up with the USB3 card reader to the computer and also to the external USB3 drive and see what happens with the 32 GB Sandisk Extreme.
If it acts up, I will then switch card for an 8GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, and test it the same way.

I can always test the whole thing again with a USB2 port ... I usually do fine with that but is it ever slow!

Thanks for the feedabck.

JP
Glad you're getting to the bottom of this.

Yes, it's frustrating to have to plug into a USB 2 port just to make it work, when I should be running about 3 times as fast (and you paid for USB 3 for that reason!).
02-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Hopefully, you'll have your problem resolved with the steps you've taken.

Fwiw, I think it was probably the open PDCU. You might try recreating the issue. PDCU open vs closed.
Looking back at how things went that day, I also think that this may be the case ... Not sure yet, but I will try and reproduce the glitch with PDCU open vs. closed as suggested.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Glad you're getting to the bottom of this.

Yes, it's frustrating to have to plug into a USB 2 port just to make it work, when I should be running about 3 times as fast (and you paid for USB 3 for that reason!).
Indeed. USB 3 being so darn faster when it works !