Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

What about the Pentax *ist?

Yes, this is my first posting. I thought I did a good search of the DSLR topics but found nothing. Is anybody currently using the Pentax *ist? I believe its megapixel range ranks it with the best quality 35mm films. I've noticed the discussions here have been about the K10 / K 20 / K200 but nothing else. I've used a Pentax K1000 and PZ1P but decided it is time to go digital. Since I have such an extensive collection of Pentax lenses, I obviously wanted to choose Pentax.
So, I'd like to hear what you Pentax fans think.
Thanks.

04-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On Page 2 in this forum, near the bottom of the page...........

"How many of you are still using the first generation *ist DSLRs? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
drabina "

Hope that helps.
04-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wolf Quote
Is anybody currently using the Pentax *ist?
Since the *ist is a film camera, you may want to search for *istD, *istDS or just DS.

While there is nothing wrong with the DS, it is a discontinued model.
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I have a *istD and it's a great camera. Honestly I don't use it as much as the K10D but it owes very little the K series units. It is the best featured of the *ist series and has both thumb wheels for seperate aperture and shutter speed controls just like the K10D. I've referred to the *istD as the K10D 'jr' many times. Fine image quality and a feature that is often overlooked: It can work with all the older TTL flash units which makes life much easier and cheaper. Also has fine high ISO performance as well. So better in low light than the K10D. I'd sell my K10D before the *istD.

A fine camera overall and IMO can compete with the newer models in many respects.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-15-2008 at 06:21 PM.
04-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Price versus performance it's got to be either a K10D or the new K20D.
04-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #6

Congrats on going digital and joining this forum! The *ist D camera is a fantastic camera. I had one myself and it produced many great shots for me. If you haven't already, a quick trip to PENTAX Photo Gallery with a search by image data (camera model) will reveal the incredible and inspiring capabilities of your camera!

Being new here myself, my observation is that most of those here are serious enough to be using the top model(s) in the linup. The good news, is that I've seen no one here belittling anyone of us who don't have the "top dog". Quite the opposite in fact, most here hold respect for anyone, realizing that although we are nuts about our gear, good photography has more to do with the photographer than the gear (unlike some other forums I've been to). Also, many here have used the other models as well, and much of it is very similar so this site can provide exceptional technical info on the full lineup!

Most importantly, we are all Pentaxians!

Have fun - see you around,

-jeff
04-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have started the post mentioned by GWP as I still use the istDL camera. It works fine and I have no plans to upgrade to newer model. Price is also concerned as the older *ist models can be purchased for about $300 while the newer K models run for about $500 used.
04-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, this is my first posting. I thought I did a good search of the DSLR topics but found nothing. Is anybody currently using the Pentax *ist? I believe its megapixel range ranks it with the best quality 35mm films. I've noticed the discussions here have been about the K10 / K 20 / K200 but nothing else. I've used a Pentax K1000 and PZ1P but decided it is time to go digital. Since I have such an extensive collection of Pentax lenses, I obviously wanted to choose Pentax.
Thanks.

The reason all the discussion today is the K10D etc is because they are newer cameras.

I still use my *istD for a lot of things the K10D can't do as well. Specifically

- Meter correctly with K mount lenses (*istD is an outright winner in that respect)
- 3200 ISO, K10D is limited to 1600
- Flash with K mount (not KA automatic apature ) lenses *istD has traditional TTL metering, and does not need to know anythign about the lens apature because it meters directly off the sensor surface. K10D has P-TTL which uses a full apature preflash to set flash power knowing from the lens the maximum apature and the commanded (by camera body) lens apature. SInce K mount lenses don't feed maximum apature to the camera, the newer cameras with P-TTL will fire the flash at full power

For an example of flash with *istD see the first shot in the attached link
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html

I kept the *istD when I got the K10D because the resale value had dropped so low, there was no point selling it. Since it has similar controls to the K10D and can do things the K10D can't it makes a great second body

p.s.

I also have PZ-1, and KX

04-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #9

Thanks.
The *istD was a great little camera. It used the same 6.1 megapixel sensor as the Nikon D100 with far better image quality. The istD originally sold for $1,300 plus USD. Today you pick one up on eBay for $150-$349. As a matter of fact there is one on eBay now.
04-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to all who replied. You gave me some good detailed answers and I'll probably settle on the *istD. One thing I've learned is that DSLR's multiply a lens focal length by 1.5. One of my favorite lenses was the Pentax 20mm (which I still own). Used with a polarizing filter, it produced some great "expanding sky" and exaggerated perspective scenery photographs. Now it seems that this "perspective stretcher" gets relegated to a "mere" 30mm. Oh well, at least some of the *istD's come with a wide angle zoom.
Again, thanks all. It seems this is quite the forum for Pentax fans.
04-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mind that *IstD is the only Pentax DSLR with compact flash memory cards which might be inconvenience if you decide to get new DSLR.