Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

full frame lenses?

Are all the FA primes compatible with full frame cameras?
I'm curious if Pentax comes out with a full frame camera in the future if these lenses will work on it.
Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

02-19-2014, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yes,
02-19-2014, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Yes, all FAs and DFAs are designed for 35mm coverage. Now be prepared for everyone to tell you all the random DAs that also cover the frame.
02-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
so some DA's will also work?
I've got quite a few and would be curious as to which ones in my Signature will work with a full frame camera?
....just planning ahead in case Pentax comes out with a FF camera and I decide I want one....
It would be good to know that I'd have lenses that would already work with it......

02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Are all the FA primes compatible with full frame cameras?
I'm curious if Pentax comes out with a full frame camera in the future if these lenses will work on it.
Pentax FA Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
They are FF lenses in that they will cover an FF sensor size, but some have vignetting, usually to an acceptable degree, but it remains unclear as to whether they will be able to accommodate the SR system. Like the 18-135 now, it is quite possible that if you don't want to crop because of vignetting, you're best to turn SR off and use a tripod. Apart from that, they are all FF compatible. It is quite possible that if the Pentax FF has SR, there will be a new series of DFA lenses, with a slightly bigger image circle, but really, who knows?

Last edited by normhead; 02-19-2014 at 09:45 AM.
02-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html is a thread about which DA lenses will work on full frame with test shots!
02-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Now be prepared for everyone to tell you all the random DAs that also cover the frame.
Yes, and there are also many DA lenses that.... oh.
02-19-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're a betting man then you should stock up on FF lenses now. Those "cheap" F and FA lenses could turn into unobtainium when Pentax comes out with a FF camera.

02-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Are all the FA primes compatible with full frame cameras
Yes I believe so, as are the earlier manual focus varieties including K, M and A series lenses.
02-19-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It seems a bit more complicated than what folks most often have been led to believe. DA lenses that have worked acceptably on film bodies are not likely to perform quite so well on FF cmos sensors due to light angle acceptance issues inherent in sensor technology. Veiling is also an issue, but usually correctable. These problems are especially a concern with faster lenses. Most FA lenses are good to go, but some can have hot spot issues (if they have relatively flat rear elements). The extent of acceptable degradation due to light fall off and at times extreme chromatic aberrations not so apparent on film - especially at border and in the corners - is always open to personal preference.

On the up side, many fairly fine lenses overall (accounting for the many factors other than absolute sharpness) that had seemed a tad soft on earlier, less densely packed sensors have gained new life as sensor resolving power has increased. Unfortunately, not all sensors - even similarly sized ones - will work the same way with a particular lens. The variable has a lot to due with the microlens and light well design on the individual pixels.
02-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If you're a betting man then you should stock up on FF lenses now. Those "cheap" F and FA lenses could turn into unobtainium when Pentax comes out with a FF camera.
Pentax F28/2,8 + Pentax F50/1,7 + Tokina AF 28-70/2,8 ATXPROSV to start completely enough
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
...I'm not a betting man and yes that's exactly what I intend on doing.
I don't think it's an IF, I think that it's just a matter of when...
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The introduction of a full-frame Pentax would not make APS-C obsolete. My K-3 and DA15, DA21, DA35 macro, DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 would continue to have a home for the foreseeable future.
As I understand it, all my other lenses will work with the larger sensor, although the DA10-17 only works beyond about 14mm, mainly due to the hood.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 02-19-2014 at 03:25 PM.
02-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The introduction of a full-frame Pentax would not make APS-C obsolete. My K-3 and DA15, DA21, DA35 macro, DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 would continue to have a home for the foreseeable future.
As I understand it, all my other lenses will work with the larger sensor, although the DA10-17 only works beyond about 14mm, mainly due to the hood.
so will my DA Limited lenses work with a full frame camera?
How about the DA 12-24?...that's one of my favorite lenses but then again I really like all my lenses...
02-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The other joy of FF lenses is that the cropping due to the sensor cuts out what would be soft corners of the image, leaving the sharper center portion intact.