Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I agree with Julie: skip the filters. I also agree that in-camera conversion to Raw is the way to go, especially for this kind of thing. I always try to say "in-camera conversion to Raw," because it's useful to remember that we're all shooting Raw willy-nilly. The only question is whether you let the camera's software do the conversion and lock you into a JPEG, or whether you do the conversion on the computer and give yourself the chance to tweak things.

What's the max aperture of the lens you'll be shooting with? I dislike the flash myself, love shooting with ambient light. But it reallys help if you have a reasonably fast lens and don't have to push the ISO to get a correct exposure unless you WANT noise in the photos for artistic effect.

Will
Hi Will, and thank you for your help.
I will peruse the Pentax manual and take a look at how to set WB. I remember the days when I used to run the TV Studio on USS Enterprise where we had to manually set WB on the Sony DXC-100 Video Cameras. We used a flat white sheet of paper. Will that work for the Pentax as well?

I plan to use the lens that came with the camera, a SMC Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL. I do have another lens, a Sigma 1:2.8-4 f=35-70mm lens that I've had for 20 years. I may use that one as well, since it obviously has better light gathering capability. Not autofocus, but I still remember how to do that, I think.

Anyway. any and all advice is gratefully accepted.

Regards, Jim in Springfield, OR

Last edited by jdarrough; 01-28-2007 at 08:03 PM.
01-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jdarrough Quote
Hi Will, and thank you for your help.
I will peruse the Pentax manual and take a look at how to set WB. I remember the days when I used to run the TV Studio on USS Enterprise where we had to manually set WB on the Sony DXC-100 Video Cameras. We used a flat white sheet of paper. Will that work for the Pentax as well?
JDarrough
Look forward to seeing your photos.

Plain sheet of paper will work perfectly and p.119 in your manual is what you are looking for (if you haven't found it already)
01-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
I'm even lazier than Julie: I shoot Raw, but I don't like having to fix hundreds of photos on the computer when I could have avoided the problems in the first place by taking a minute to get things right.
Good point, I'm making more work for myself by being lazy. You've given me the kick in the butt I needed, I will sit down and play with setting WB!

Julie
02-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #49

I just wish I was good at PHOTOGRAPHY! When I get there, I'll worry about what type to be good at! ;o)
Rob W

02-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
I just wish I was good at PHOTOGRAPHY! When I get there, I'll worry about what type to be good at! ;o)
Rob W
Start with the question "What kind of pictures do I want to make?" (and possibly "why?")
Then go out and start making them.
Then study the results.
As in many things nothing succeeds like well analysed failure.
02-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #51

Try imitating "photo cliches"

I can't remember where I first saw the term "photo cliche" (either Mike Johnston or Michael Reichmann) but, as the name would suggest, I think it refers to a picture that's been done to death. But I think the reason why something is done to death is that the picture is generally pleasing to most people. It sounds like many of the people here are looking to take photos to share with family, friends, etc. and I think photos are better received when they are matched to the audience's tastes.

Here are a few cliches of mine:
First, the hackneyed shot of "kids hugging each other"

The next is the same old "kid playing with granddad's tractor/riding lawn mower"

And the last is the old standby "kid looking at you from behind a tree"

I don't think of these as exceptional pictures but they are good pictures that the parents really love.
02-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jun Park Quote
I can't remember where I first saw the term "photo cliche" (either Mike Johnston or Michael Reichmann) but, as the name would suggest, I think it refers to a picture that's been done to death. But I think the reason why something is done to death is that the picture is generally pleasing to most people. It sounds like many of the people here are looking to take photos to share with family, friends, etc. and I think photos are better received when they are matched to the audience's tastes.

Here are a few cliches of mine:
First, the hackneyed shot of "kids hugging each other"

The next is the same old "kid playing with granddad's tractor/riding lawn mower"

And the last is the old standby "kid looking at you from behind a tree"

I don't think of these as exceptional pictures but they are good pictures that the parents really love.
great shots, I really love the first one in paticular.
The fly shots on your site, did you tie them as well?
they look well made.
I didn't see to many of my favourate style..... Parachutes

thanks for sharing

randy

02-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #53

Thanks, Randy. I did not tie the ones in my pbase gallery, though I do tie my own flies. Those were done for a friend who managed to buy the leftover stock from a fly distributor and he had several THOUSAND (!) flies. He was going to sell them and asked me to take some pictures in exchange for flies. Obviously, I said yes!

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
great shots, I really love the first one in paticular.
The fly shots on your site, did you tie them as well?
they look well made.
I didn't see to many of my favourate style..... Parachutes

thanks for sharing

randy
02-04-2007, 05:35 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Start with the question "What kind of pictures do I want to make?" (and possibly "why?")
Then go out and start making them.
Then study the results.
As in many things nothing succeeds like well analysed failure.
Actually, this was a (poorly understood) attempt at some humor! However, thanks for the reply. The biggest problems I have are with compositon and exposure of the landscape photography I enjoy doing. I'm getting decent (notice I DIDN'T say good!) at composition, but still rely too much on auto modes for exposure; something I'm going to work on this year. One of the reasons I bought the 43mm Limited prime and limited focus ultra wides (12-24 and 16-45mm) was to force me to both think about composition and to experiment with manual mode more. So either expect some really stinking photos to show up here for awhile, or wait about 4 months while I figure it out and start posting some good shots! 8o)
Rob W
P.S. For those into landscape photography like myself, I'd recommend Alain Briot's new book, "Mastering Landscape Photography" (ISBN 1-933952-06-7) and for those who have some of the same issues with exposure that I do, I'd suggest Chris Johnson's "The Practical Zone System, 3rd Edition" (ISBN 0-240-80328-0 or 978-0-240-80328-9). Neither is cheap, but both are what I consider essential tools for understanding.

Last edited by macdaddy; 02-04-2007 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added material
02-04-2007, 05:56 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Wish I was better at...

Simple and to the point...STILL LIFE!
02-04-2007, 06:09 AM   #56
Inactive Account

Hi Randy,
I guess I would have to say portraits, I do have some good ones but they were lucky Candide's. The only good Candide's I have are those of my Grand son and family. And there I hit the nail on the head. I'm comfortable in my surroundings, and I would say it's not the photography but the comfort level I need to get better with.