Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What TYPE of photography do you wish you were better at?

If I could pick one, it would be portraits and people in general.
My wife beats me hands down in this category but I do seem to sneak a good one in every once and a while.

Nudes would be my second

what is yours?

cheers

randy

01-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Portraits of people or candids? My friends like my candid shots, but I can't do decent posed shots for the life of me. "Ok, you stand here, tilt your head this way, no that's just wrong - redo!"

The other thing I'd like to work on is automotive and motorcycle shots - showroom type stuff.
01-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

For me it's not so much a type of photography I wish I was better at, although I would like to be better all the way around. I wish I were bolder about taking out my camera in public. I always think that people will think I am up to no good so I am always afraid people will "catch" me taking pictures around them. It probably goes back to my own dislike of being photographed and I end up thinking that everyone suffers from it. I need to get over my fear.
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish I was better at macros, I spose I should get a macro lens or two...

01-22-2007, 07:02 PM   #5

I would have to say portraits.

I have always had a love of nature and scenery but since having kids there is a bit of a priority shift.

Second would be really solid architectural photos. I really love architecture and would like to learn to make good photos of houses, buildings, barns, etc.

Ed
01-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting question but I'm not sure what to say. I kind of feel like davemdsn: I'd like to be better at photography in a general way.

I have known people who had definite prefs - more often about the stuff they did NOT like to photograph, and the couple folks I'm thinking about (my brother in law, and an old friend in England) didn't like photographing people. If there is something that I'm not terribly interested in, I'd have to say macro photography.

I do have subjects that I'm especially keen on - birds, for starters, and pets and animals generally. And of course right now I've got basketball and kids' sports photography on my mind. But I can have fun thinking about shooting anything. I really like shooting people, when I can.

Will
01-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Protraits - especially candids. I think part of it will be getting very comfortable with my new K10D so it becomes second nature of what to have the camera set to when trolling for candids. The other part is to be less obvious and blend in more so the subjects are as aware that they're being photographed.

01-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good question...

I think because I haven't done studio/glamor/portraiture yet, I'd say those areas.

However, I've been pretty satisfied with all of my efforts so far: landscape, macro, photojournalism, nature/wildlife...

Cheers,
Marc
01-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
If I could pick one, it would be portraits and people in general.
My wife beats me hands down in this category but I do seem to sneak a good one in every once and a while.

Nudes would be my second

what is yours?

cheers

randy
Nudes? Randy? (Sorry Ladies; guys are 'hardwired' to react this way. Blame our creator if you have to. )

More seriously, I would pose this question as "What kind of images would you like to produce?"

Putting things into categories limits the imagination. Get the kind of picture you would like to see firmly in your mind before you begin to work out how you want to achieve it. "Previsualisation" was the word used a lot by Ansel Adams.

My own subject preferences include nature/wildlife/landscape/seascape/reportage/etc. I'm a fairly shy type in actuality so people tend to 'faze' me a bit. Asking someone to deliberately pose for me, clothed or otherwise, is a bit too much of a challenge. That said, I do enjoy the work of others in these fields though I tend to shy away from the more explicitly sexual images which are so heavily dispersed on the internet.

I'm not doing very much presently. I reached a stasis some years ago when poor health and lack of funds made it impossible to continue. However, the 'digital age' has reduced the "per image" cost considerably and my health has stabilised somewhat (at least to being a little more predictable), so I may yet rejoin the ranks of the active shutterbug in the near future.
Meanwhile all I can do is to write about it.

Seriously good topic tho'.

Last edited by Rolly; 01-22-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
01-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just enough knowledge to be dangerous....

....to myself...is how I would sum up my current skills.

I will re-iterate an earlier comment, I would like to become more proficient in an all round sense. Not just taking the photo, but the composition and the post processing.

I think the post processing has a lot of potential to spoil some reasonable shots If I had to choose one discipline then it would have to be Landscape.

Cheers
Grant
01-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would like to seriously echo Randy's suggestion of nudes. My interest generally falls under the category of portraits and learning to light people, but clothes are pesky.

My second choice is landscapes. I'm out in the wild as often as I can possibly manage, but my thinking tends towards "ooh, thats pretty. My backpack is heavy. Keep walking," and I haven't put together a decent image yet.
01-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NUDES?!?!?!?

Oh, I am sooo gonna tell your mother! You got just about an hour to pack and run...

---------------
Warning: Shock hazard! Do not open; no user serviceable parts inside.

____
John/aka DAD
01-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
NUDES?!?!?!?

Oh, I am sooo gonna tell your mother! You got just about an hour to pack and run...

---------------
Warning: Shock hazard! Do not open; no user serviceable parts inside.

____
John/aka DAD

That was funny . I would say low light anything. Actually I really would prefer to learn more about PP in general. I find it amazing how much I don't know. RUN BETH RUN!!!!!! LOLOLOLOL (sorry for the internet speak)
01-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

landscaping, i cannot for the life of me get landscaping good
01-22-2007, 08:44 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I spent a couple years shooting nudes back when I first started photography. Tough subject. Done well they are quite cool. Done poorly they are absolute junk. I did some stuff that now hangs on other people's walls so I must have done something right. Now I don't shoot them anymore.