Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #1

What is this "Scratch"?

I'm hoping someone with an intricate knowledge of the k10 can provide some insight...

See if you can imagine this: I was at an air & space museum with my family, and my father-in-law rented an electronic scooter for himself. I had the bright idea to drive the scooter myself for a minute, while holding down the shutter button on my camera to see what effect I could get while the scooter was in motion. It would have worked out a lot better if I had not lost control of the scooter and flipped it over, on top of myself and my camera!

Aside from embarrassment, I got away with just a few bruises. The camera wasn't so lucky - it still works, but there is a permanent "line" in the upper-right hand corner of my shots. Shots that I took immediately before the "incident" were fine, but shots afterward show the line.

I took it to the local Ritz Camera where I bought it, and they blew in there with a blower, trying to remove dust, however it did not work. They seem to think a piece of dust scratched the sensor. Fortunately, I have an extended service plan .. unfortunately, I'll need to part with the camera for up to 4 weeks for them to figure it out/fix/replace/etc.

The "scratch" appears in about 85% of my shots .. sometimes I think it's camoflauged by the image, but you can see it best in the blue sky. Also, I've noticed the exposure seems to affect the scratch .. for example, in the group shot below, the highlights are blown, and I do not see the scratch.

I've attached a few examples .. what do you all think?

My apologies if this is not posted in the right place .. I did not think "Post Your Photos" was right ..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a hair, or maybe you cracked the filter in front of the sensor??
04-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try shooting a shot at an aperture of f/22 or higher- it will make it more in focus and perhaps give us some more info to work with.
04-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it is hair inside the camera

it can't be a crack in front of the sensor because it moves from frame to frame.

get yourself a blower brush, and blow all the stuff off the sensor, and also check the rear of the lens (but this looks too focused for that.

04-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's probably a hair or some plastic shaving. My K100D let a very small plastic square loose on the inside after a few weeks of constant bumping
04-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Definitely looks like hair, probably stuck at the edge of the sensor, based on where it shows on the photos. If you look carefully, you might see where it lifts off the glass (see the blurry end of the hair?)
04-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm sorry that this isn't a helpful response, but...
What kind of air & space museum are those pictures from?

It looks like a hair to me too.

04-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by molarade Quote
I'm sorry that this isn't a helpful response, but...
What kind of air & space museum are those pictures from?

It looks like a hair to me too.
LOL! It took me a minute to realize why you were asking ... Although the "incident" occured at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tuscon, I used photos from a different day .. just tried to choose photos that illustrated the issue the best.

The first photo was taken at the Renaissance Festival in Gold Canyon, AZ and the second was taken at Mystery Castle in Phoenix, AZ.

To everyone else - I'll take a look at the camera and see if I can get to that hair, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know!
04-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the film days I got this sort of photo sometime when a hair got stock close to the shutter behind the mirrir. If it was not close to the film plane (or not the sensor) it would not be that close to being in focus. A hair on the lense, crack in the filter, would not be this sharp unless you had a lot of extension tubes on. So take up the mirror and take a look. If I'm right, it can appear to dissapear (fall down to the bottom), then appear again on the photos some time later in a different position. At least once it was a hair from my cleaning brush, thick and stiff. Be carefull. Good luck!
04-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't use blower to blow inside my K10D, instead I use a small well cleaned makeup brush to clean dust on sensor .
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I don't use blower to blow inside my K10D, instead I use a small well cleaned makeup brush to clean dust on sensor .
Something is telling me that isn't a great idea...
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
I think the manual says no brush at all on the sensor. Could damage it.
My brush-hair-on the image-story was from the film ages.
04-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

The menu should have a "sensor cleaning" mode, which will lock the mirror up and let you get your blower at the sensor directly. Don't use canned air. Use a hand blower bulb. I would avoid touching the sensor, but some people have good luck using cleaning methods that touch the sensor.

The hair appears on the top right of your photos. This means that you could probably see the hair mirrored (on the other sides) on the sensor (because the image captured at the sensor is mirrored). When you shoot with high F-stop numbers (20+) the hair will be in better focus.

After a few good blows, I would take a photo of a white wall with flash in AV mode with the highest F stop (small aperture) to see if you actually removed the hair or just blew it around.
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd believe it's a hair or other kind of dirt within the camera...