Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K10 and Sigma EF 500 Super DG

I know several on this forum have this combination and I saw today in mine that when I have my sigma super on the camera with the kit lens (DA 18-55)the zoom indication on the flash doesn't indicate the correct focal length from the lens. ( E.G. lens at ~35mm and flash indicates 70mm). When I put my FA lenses on I see the correct focal length indicated on the flash's display.
I just bought the flash two weeks ago so I would think that it's not one that needs to be rechipped.
Does your 500 Super do this with digital lenses?

01-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wrandyh Quote
I know several on this forum have this combination and I saw today in mine that when I have my sigma super on the camera with the kit lens (DA 18-55)the zoom indication on the flash doesn't indicate the correct focal length from the lens. ( E.G. lens at ~35mm and flash indicates 70mm). When I put my FA lenses on I see the correct focal length indicated on the flash's display.
I just bought the flash two weeks ago so I would think that it's not one that needs to be rechipped.
I have the same combo and I can't figure that flash out for the life of me. the info on it is poor at best, in my opinion. It is a great flash and works well on my wife's K100 but I am still trying to figure out the best setting to put it on on my K10.
I had the same problem as you.... what I had to do is pull the batteries out and put them in after a few minutes. This reset it back to default. you will know when the flash zooms as the motor is fairly loud.
I know this is not the right answer, but since it worked for me I thought I would let you know until come one tells us the right way.

hope you get the right answer,

cheers

randy
01-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So do all the Sigma flashes work with P-TTL?
01-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

If you buy a Sigma flash for a digital Pentax, it will be P-TTL only. I suspect that any of the Supers that you buy may not be totally compatable with the K10D. But, they may be caught up by now.
I have the non Super Sigma EF 500, but still the P-TTL version. It was bought for my istDL and worked just fine. When I got the K10, I had to send the flash back for rechip. They did it very quickly under warranty.
The zoom settings on the flash use full frame focal length values. So, on my camera with the 18~55 zoom, the flash shows 28mmwhen the zoom is at 18mm. At the lens zoom setting of 55mm the flash shows 85mm. Not an exact correlation but it does what is necessary as far as flash coverage is concerned.

Walt

01-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i think its how the flash accommodates the max lens opening gettiing smaller as the lens zooms to 55mm.. it allows for the smaller lens opening by acting as if the subect was further away than it really is..

with a constant aperture zoom it might read differently.. ??

trog
01-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
i think its how the flash accommodates the max lens opening gettiing smaller as the lens zooms to 55mm.. it allows for the smaller lens opening by acting as if the subect was further away than it really is..

with a constant aperture zoom it might read differently.. ??

trog
I don't follow you here trog. Isn't the zoom function supposed to make the flash cover the FOV of the lens? I don't have the Sigma flash and can't check for myself but that would make sense. Zooming the flash should have nothing to do with the used aperture.

Or I misunderstood the whole question. Such also happens.
01-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

dunno alvin.. i misunderstand whole questions/subjects myself sometimes as well.. he he..

trog
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I decided to return the Sigma and bite the bullet and buy the AF 540FGZ. With the current $50 rebate I ended up paying $33 more than I had paid for the Sigma ef 500 dg super but I figure it's worth it. With the firmware update I can fire the 540 off camera without additional accesories (which probably makes up the diff in my cost).
Also I had just purchased the Sigma and due to the serial number would have had to send it back to them to be rechipped.
Anyway, now I won't have the sometimes problems of the super locking up if the start up sequence isn't followed just right and the other hinky ideosynchrocies of the Super when used with the K10D.
In case you're wondering, B&H had it for $339 before the $50 rebate.

01-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wrandyh Quote
(snip) When I put my FA lenses on I see the correct focal length indicated on the flash's display.
Are you sure about this? I can't find my manual at the moment, but I believe the flash will always show 35mm equivilant. I just checked it with my FA50 and it showed 70mm. Check with Sigma, give them your serial number, they will be able to tell you if it needs to be rechipped or not.