Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I know the focus point I want but with a dog that's playing and running it's quite hard to compose a picture. I am just trying to figure the camera's behavior so hopefully I can adjust to that.
  • AF-C
  • Spray
  • Pray

Steve

02-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I know the focus point I want but with a dog that's playing and running it's quite hard to compose a picture. I am just trying to figure the camera's behavior so hopefully I can adjust to that.
True - probably one of the most unpredictable subjects you could get. You might try turning on the AF expansion in the menus - perhaps it would help in your case. For me (shooting runners) it didn't seem to help, and may have made things worse.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • AF-C
  • Spray
  • Pray

Steve
This may be your best bet. In general I'd follow standard composition guidelines, choosing a fixed corner focus point (possibly with AF expansion on) and trying to keep the dog running into the empty space in the frame. If AF is slow you may need a different lens too. On Pentax this often means a screw-drive prime. The FA135 is by far the most economical of the ones I've used successfully (and there happens to be one on KEH right now). My FA43 was far too wide with fast moving people, who, when they fill the frame are far too close for the AF to keep up. With a dog (being smaller) it'd have to be even closer, likely making such a shot nearly impossible.
02-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • AF-C
  • Spray
  • Pray

Steve
That's my strategy. I thought I could optimize it a little by knowing the AF system better.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 02:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
True - probably one of the most unpredictable subjects you could get. You might try turning on the AF expansion in the menus - perhaps it would help in your case. For me (shooting runners) it didn't seem to help, and may have made things worse.

This may be your best bet. In general I'd follow standard composition guidelines, choosing a fixed corner focus point (possibly with AF expansion on) and trying to keep the dog running into the empty space in the frame. If AF is slow you may need a different lens too. On Pentax this often means a screw-drive prime. The FA135 is by far the most economical of the ones I've used successfully (and there happens to be one on KEH right now). My FA43 was far too wide with fast moving people, who, when they fill the frame are far too close for the AF to keep up. With a dog (being smaller) it'd have to be even closer, likely making such a shot nearly impossible.
I agree with the size of dogs being a problem. Especially 10 pound chihuahua mixes. I have done Formula 1 cars previously and that was very possible. The movements are predictable and the object is big, so I could focus on a certain point and wait for the cars. No such thing with a dog!
02-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Oh I can't agree with the "closest point" idea! I have a bunch of photos where the camera focused on something behind the subject that I wanted. Its probably got something to do with contrasts

02-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

That's true, if the contrast up close is not there, the camera will focus behind. It will always focus on the branch, no matter where the bird is. But, if there is a closer high contrast spot it will use that in preference to the one behind.
02-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Oh I can't agree with the "closest point" idea! I have a bunch of photos where the camera focused on something behind the subject that I wanted. Its probably got something to do with contrasts
Definitely true. My wife was fooling around with my camera taking some pictures of me cooking. I was in the foreground clearly and the camera selected
  • A cooking pot in the background
  • The knob of the cabinet behind me
  • The faucet to the right side of me (nearly same plane)
when it wasn't selecting me. So it's definitely not closest point or even "most significant" point.