Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
af speed test on popphoto

according to popphoto test the af speed of k10 and k20 is same for all EV????
isn't it weird???
anyway, i am trying to understand the chart of popphoto. what does 0 ev mean??? i didn't understand how they measure the af speed. why is pentax so away from competition when we compare AF speeds??? ((
thanks

04-16-2008, 03:43 AM   #2

See the article on Wikipedia:
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
04-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
hll

Original Poster
wow, i was not aware of this formula, chart. thank you very much...
i rarely goes down to 1/15, i think there is no reason for me to worry about the af speeds under the EV 6.0...
thanks a lot
i am happy again....
04-16-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Forum Member

a lot of reviews get into the real nitty gritty and people start to stress out about which camera has what feature. You have to ask yourself what features you actually need. I wanted some features that only pentax had, so I went with pentax. That being said, the AF on pentax is slower than on canon and nikon. The question is, does it matter to you? I take lots of pictures of flowers, mountains, etc so AF just makes my life a bit easier, no big deal if it hunts.

edit- I also remember reading somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong, that pop photo just reused the results from the K10 for the k20 review.

04-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elnero Quote

edit- I also remember reading somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong, that pop photo just reused the results from the K10 for the k20 review.
Yes that's exactly what they did and they shamelessly admitted to it without feeling guilty here:

Uh-oh, shennanigans in the Pentax K20D review - Respond to Popular Photography - PopPhoto

--- quote ---

Executive Technology Editor Michael J. McNamara explains: Pentax openly admits that the K20D AF system is identical to the AF system on K10D with no claims for speed or sensitivity improvements. As noted in our several stories on the K20D, there are multiple design and performance elements that are identical between the two cameras since the K20D is actually a significant upgrade to the K10D but not a totally new camera design. Our preliminary lab findings supported the similarity in AF systems, and therefore we decided to incorporate the AF results from the K10D to minimize confusion. Had there been slight variations between the two camera models (as there would be), we would have received even more complaints after claiming both AF systems were the same. However, when the test data was incorporated into the K20D Test Results graphic in print and online, it is was accidentally transposed by one place. We have since updated the chart to correct this and believe the chart to be an accurate appraisal of how the K20D AF system performs compared to other DSLRs tested in the same manner.

-- quote ---
04-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Anand Tech's test of the K20D shows that the autofocus on the said camera is as fast as others (if not faster) when you use lenses having similar technology ex: motorized lenses vs motorized lenses. As far as I know, Pop Photo never went to the trouble of checking AF speed with SDM lenses like they do for other cameras. They stated the Olympus E-3 had a very fast AF with motorized lenses and they use motorized lenses for Nikon and Canon, but they just won't do it for Pentax. I think their tests are highly biased (maybe Canon and Nikon give them more money...).
04-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
hll

Original Poster
i am very curious about the k20d autofocus speed, because Anand Tech says it is very fast!!! Af speed could be only excuse for me to buy the k20d
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has also been pointed out in several places that the Canon and Nikon auto focus systems attain focus faster at the expense of the double check accuracy that Pentax uses. In my reading on the K20D, it appears that you can turn the double check off to get faster, but less accurate, auto focus.

04-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There is no way I can turn off the double check on the autofocus of my K20D. I guess they should all be the same!
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pop photo and DPR are have pentaxaphobia..... Don't listen to them, but the people that own them. The K20D auto focus is pretty fast...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/24297-k20d-da-impresive.html
04-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
hll

Original Poster
yeah, i saw your photos before, they are really great
btw, pentaxaphobia is an excellent word...