Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K10D Grunts

Or something like that.

After every shot or sequence of shots, there is this sound, kind of the same sound that the sensor make when you exercise the cleaning function from the menu, though just for a brief moment.

Doesn't seem to be affecting IQ, but I've got a major trip coming up next week would like to know if I should anticipate any problems with this issue.

Any clues?

Thx

04-16-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this really loud or do you have to put your ear to the body to hear it? Do a test with SR on and then SR off. Is it the same in both tests?
04-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think it is the SR system. Even though you don't have SR turned on, the camera needs to power the system to align the sensor; no actual SR is going on though. Once the exposure is complete, the SR system powers off.

I could be completely wrong, but that's what I think is going on. It happens with my K100D, as well.
04-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
Or something like that.

After every shot or sequence of shots, there is this sound, kind of the same sound that the sensor make when you exercise the cleaning function from the menu, though just for a brief moment.

Doesn't seem to be affecting IQ, but I've got a major trip coming up next week would like to know if I should anticipate any problems with this issue.

Any clues?

Thx
If this is set:
[Set Up Menu] > [Dust Removal] > [Startup Action] is checked.
the camera will grunt every time you turn it on.

04-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Peter: The sound occurs after every shot whether or not SR is on or off. It's not a very loud sound, but definitly audible. Could very well be some sort of sensor movement.

CR: Dust removal at startup is off. Again, the sound happens after taking a shot or a series of shots.

Just did the sensor shake thing for comparison purposes. While the dust removal sounds like a series of taps, this is more like someone whispering 'uh' (if that means anything to anybody).
04-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Do you have multi shot mode enabled? I find that the drive motor sounds like that after each shot if I have it enabled.
04-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeedub Quote
Do you have multi shot mode enabled? I find that the drive motor sounds like that after each shot if I have it enabled.

We have a winner!

No sound while in single shot mode, but turn on multi-shot or auto-bracket and there's my sound.

So, I since you are also hearing this, I guess I can assume this is normal and have one less thing to worry about on this upcoming trip.

But just for G&G, does anyone else experience this behavior?

Thanks.
04-17-2008, 04:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K100D does also 'grunt' in multi-shot mode. Quite some people have wondered what's inside the camera when heard.

04-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

eh cool, now i know what that sound is 8D

i