Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax ads

Well, I don't know if such a thread exists already, if not...

I just stumbled about these:
Pentax - Hunt Adkins Portfolio

And I think they are actually pretty good. Never seen them in real life though... have you? Or any other ads?

02-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The one about the "Pentaxian" was pretty wide-spread about five seven years back. There was even a red t-shirt with the full text on the back. Edit: I didn't scroll down far enough to see the shirt

Steve
02-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah. I'm not in the US, so I wouldn't know.

Hunt Adkins

The About is pretty great. And in general they do wonderful work. It's a shame Pentax doesn't seem to be working with them anymore... I guess that must have died with the Hoya years... Such a shame. If only Ricoh could work with them again...
02-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
WOW. Some really really cool ads! They need to bring some of those back!

02-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting "LBA" sticker ("Help fight LBA - Buy me every Pentax lens ever made"). This is the first time I have seen the term used outside of our PF community.
02-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too crammed, too much in the wall of text ones.
Ads have to catch the viewers interest in a split second and tell the important story in the next. Those do neither for me.

Most of the picture ones are pretty ordinary. A random pic of a kayak or a standard pic of a surfer, coupled with a quite longshot slogan doesn't do it for me either. I've seen them all already marketing 13424 different products.

The more creative that do imply that your story starts here works much better. Like the "End of trail" one that leaves you fantasizing about what lies ahead and that this is your own story ready to be written are much more effective. The less tells you, while still keeping you interested, the better.

This is more my style of ads, it leaves me clueless but wanting to know more:
02-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I preferred the end of trail ones etc. too. But also the wall of text ones. They reminded me of Trainspotting. I do think that mentioning product features was too much, I would have sticked with something even closer to Trainspotting.

QuoteQuote:
Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a ing big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ed-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin?
That TV ad is... well, they hammer in the brand name, I guess. And apparently they had drugs in Japan.