Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Senior Member
hrishi's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune, India
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 149
K10D Jitters!!

Friends,

I'm all set to buy K10D this week...

I'll be buying it in Mumbai for $775...

Its now that i'm feeling xtremely nervous...I hv done enough research b4 deciding on K10D..So I dont think theres anything leftout which can change my decision...I'm simply getting nervous coz its my 1st major investment..It was very hard 4 me 2 raise money for it, esp after spending more than $400 in buying 50/1.4 n 300/4...I'm not a person who's fond of changing/upgrading things..I just buy things after thinking over 4 a long time n dont part wid them till its impossible 2 use them...After I buy K10D, I dont think I'll buy another camera for years..

So i guess I need some encouragement from u guys...n little prayer..

One question though- As I'm buying in gray, What r the things I should check b4 buying it?? wot tests shld i do on the spot? After all, Its gonna b my 1st exclusive 'Digital Camera' (earlier being a cellphone camera!)!!

Also, shld I buy 1 4GB card or two 2 GB cards?? Any other essential accessory left out?? (I dont need a bag)

please help me out...

04-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Its now that i'm feeling xtremely nervous...I hv done enough research b4 deciding on K10D..So I dont think theres anything leftout which can change my decision...I'm simply getting nervous coz its my 1st major investment..It was very hard 4 me 2 raise money for it, esp after spending more than $400 in buying 50/1.4 n 300/4...I'm not a person who's fond of changing/upgrading things..I just buy things after thinking over 4 a long time n dont part wid them till its impossible 2 use them...After I buy K10D, I dont think I'll buy another camera for years..
You buy cameras the way I buy cars. My Isuzu Trooper has 191,000 miles on it and it's going strong. Until it stops running, why buy a new car?


QuoteQuote:
So i guess I need some encouragement from u guys...n little prayer..
I'm not going to encourage you. I will say a prayer for you.

I understand these jitters VERY well. If you're the sort of person who gets nervous before making a purchase such as this, well, there's not much you can do about it. We get nervous for two reasons. We tell ourselves that we're worried about whether we're buying the right product. I suppose there's something to that, but the truth is, there's no absolutely guaranteed right product (most of the time) so you'll always be nervous about that. But the real problem is simply that you're spending a lot of money.

Somebody with good money sense would say, if you don't feel good about spending the money, don't spend the money. Consider buying a less expensive dslr. The Pentax K100D is still available, for example, and should be much less expensive. And it's a fine camera.


QuoteQuote:
One question though- As I'm buying in gray, What r the things I should check b4 buying it?? wot tests shld i do on the spot? After all, Its gonna b my 1st exclusive 'Digital Camera' (earlier being a cellphone camera!)!!
I won't tell you what to do, but I myself would never buy a gray-market item - and I don't buy from anybody in the USA except the most reputable dealers. To me, it's not necessary and it's certainly not worth taking all that risk just to save a few dollars.

But I don't know what your situation is in India. Perhaps someone here will be able to give you good advice.



QuoteQuote:
Also, shld I buy 1 4GB card or two 2 GB cards?? Any other essential accessory left out?? (I dont need a bag)
This is a matter of personal preference. If you're going to shoot events (sports, weddings, etc), then the larger card may be better as it means you won't have to worry as often about changing cards. Otherwise, two 2 GB should work fine and there are advantages to having multiple cards, too. You should probably go with whichever choice is cheaper.

Good luck,

Will
04-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
I would download the manual and get familar with the basic controls and features. Is this a new camera or a used one? If new, then just take a few shots in various settings to make sure the camera works. Check the viewfinder and inside to see if it looks clean. You can check the sensor by taking a stopped down image of a blue sky. That will show if the sensor is dirty which shouldn't happen on a new camera. Fire the flash to make sure it works. Check the bottom plate for damage in case it's been dropped. Take your 50mm for some testing. If you have a laptop, take that to review the test shots. Otherwise the LCD will be OK.

I'd suggest 2 Gb cards are enough. if you can afford Extreme III's or Ultra II's then these are considered to be some of the most reliable.

Now go get the camera and send us a ton of images of your beautiful country.
04-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
Oh I missed the gray-market part. Are there no dealers in your area? I'm with Will on this and if there is a dealer or online way to buy this with a warranty then I'd do that before buying gray market.

04-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
VAV
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 149
QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Friends,

I'm all set to buy K10D this week...

I'll be buying it in Mumbai for $775...

Its now that i'm feeling xtremely nervous...I hv done enough research b4 deciding on K10D..So I dont think theres anything leftout which can change my decision...I'm simply getting nervous coz its my 1st major investment..It was very hard 4 me 2 raise money for it, esp after spending more than $400 in buying 50/1.4 n 300/4...I'm not a person who's fond of changing/upgrading things..I just buy things after thinking over 4 a long time n dont part wid them till its impossible 2 use them...After I buy K10D, I dont think I'll buy another camera for years..

So i guess I need some encouragement from u guys...n little prayer..

One question though- As I'm buying in gray, What r the things I should check b4 buying it?? wot tests shld i do on the spot? After all, Its gonna b my 1st exclusive 'Digital Camera' (earlier being a cellphone camera!)!!

Also, shld I buy 1 4GB card or two 2 GB cards?? Any other essential accessory left out?? (I dont need a bag)

please help me out...
Hrish -

Nice images on your flickr site.. I am sure you will enjoy the K10D.

There is a thread for Pentax users in India - only two have posted so far - but it may help you to get in touch with them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/24597-pentax-users-india.html

Best wishes,
04-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
hrishi's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune, India
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 149
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You buy cameras the way I buy cars. My Isuzu Trooper has 191,000 miles on it and it's going strong. Until it stops running, why buy a new car?
,
So, K10D is like ur Isuzu Trooper, right??

QuoteQuote:
I'm with Will on this and if there is a dealer or online way to buy this with a warranty then I'd do that before buying gray market.
I searched 4 almost 30-40 shops in Mumbai, none have pentax, save 1. As traditionally, there werent any official dealers in India of Canon n Nikon n others, Grey market was the only option of buyin Cameras in India. Few dealers who exsisted used to sell a product 4 amlost twice its price in grey due to heavy import duties..Hence, grey markets thrived n have attained resepect over the years in India..(Please note that I'm not supporting grey market, but stating facts)
..
The situation has improved now, with Canon opening its showrooms n service centres n Sony not too behind...Nikon is still struggling, but will soon gather pace..Have no clue about Pentax...
I will take along with me a retired professional photographer who knows the shop n would help me in buying the right piece..
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Burgin, KY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13
Hrishi, I have purchased the K10D after going through a twelve month decision making process and have been very happy with it. It is different then shooting film on my old Olympus OM-1, but I am glad I made the choice.

Regarding the grey market issue. Is there a possibility that you can purchase the camera through Amazon.com? That is how I purchased mine.

As for the SD cards. I originally purchased a 2gb SanDisk UltraII and while it was an okay card with no problems, I later decided I needed to get another. The second card was the 2gb SanDisk Extreme III. The way prices had gone down it was not much more then expensive then the Sandisk UltraII, but the write and read speeds are very much greater, so I would strongly recommend the ExtremeIII SD cards. In fact I have already purchase my second. If you shot Raw you will have room for about 110 photographs. On my K10D the camera says 121, but I read somewhere that you should not fill the card completely. There is an added advantage in that the ExtremeIII also comes with a photograph recovery program on a little CD that works on the flash cards. I have used it to recover photographs on a friends Compact Flash when her husband deleted the photographs with about a 98% recovery rate.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Last edited by KYPhotonut; 04-18-2008 at 07:20 AM.
04-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member
simons-photography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northamptonshire - England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 497
the K10D will do you very well and if your keeping it until you really have to upgrade its the best choice even better the K20D but thats dearer, I'd be careful with dubious retailers the price you mention does not sound cheap to me under the circumstances I paid 400 for my body + kit lens thats about 800 $

04-18-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Senior Member
hrishi's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune, India
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 149
Original Poster
Thanks to all of you very much for d suggestions...Will let u know soooon..
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
hrishi's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune, India
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 149
Original Poster
Dear friends, with God's grace I was finally able to buy K10D, (my 1st DsLR) on 23rd April2008!!!!!

I got it very costly though, for Rs. 35000/- i.e. around $875...got it from Mumbai...I got it wid Bill n waranty..N though I i'm sure its a grey product, d dealer, is under d impression dat I believe what he said- Dats its official pentax waranty...d waranty actually is dealer's 1 year waranty...but I got gifts worth $50, n a bill + ALL d accessories which r normally supplied wid d 'White' product, including decent booklets as manuals (not d xeroxed ones supplied in grey)...

So my conclusion is dat, I DID get a grey product, but d deal was done as if d product is white, n hence, I could get atleast dealer's waranty...n as d grey price in Mumbai is running at $775, d deal what i got isnt dat bad...

of course, i had little choice as only 2 shops in Fort, Mumbai keep Pentax...

D fact remains dat I'm more than happy 2 get K10D!!!!!

I did some quick macro tests using my FA 50/1.4, 2x Tconverter, 25mm extension tube...its superb...got more than life size magnification wid this combo!!

Also tried my k 300/4 lens...it does fine...checked in all apertures...will analyse d exposure issue..

Still lot many things to do...but as exams r starting from Monday, will do everything later...

My sincere thanks to all of u..
04-25-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Friends,

I'm all set to buy K10D this week...

I'll be buying it in Mumbai for $775...

Its now that i'm feeling xtremely nervous...I hv done enough research b4 deciding on K10D..So I dont think theres anything leftout which can change my decision...I'm simply getting nervous coz its my 1st major investment..It was very hard 4 me 2 raise money for it, esp after spending more than $400 in buying 50/1.4 n 300/4...I'm not a person who's fond of changing/upgrading things..I just buy things after thinking over 4 a long time n dont part wid them till its impossible 2 use them...After I buy K10D, I dont think I'll buy another camera for years..

So i guess I need some encouragement from u guys...n little prayer..

One question though- As I'm buying in gray, What r the things I should check b4 buying it?? wot tests shld i do on the spot? After all, Its gonna b my 1st exclusive 'Digital Camera' (earlier being a cellphone camera!)!!

Also, shld I buy 1 4GB card or two 2 GB cards?? Any other essential accessory left out?? (I dont need a bag)

please help me out...
I don't believe there is anything to be nervous about. I have had a K10D for almost 18 months, and love it. In fact, I have decided to pass on upgrading to a K20D because I don't feel it offers significant improvements over the K10D to warrent a change. Note, that unlike you, I have been shooting pentax DSLRs since they first came out, (I also have an *istD) and make the buy/upgrade decisions very carefully. The K10D can fulfil the needs of most serious photographers for years.

With respect to memory, the only thing I would advise is to perhaps stick with 2GB cards. Some (in fact many) card readers, and devices can't read 4 GB cards, and also it is better, in my view, to have your photos on several smaller cards as opposed to one big one, simply because if one card is lost, stolen, or damaged your loss of photos is less.
04-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member
simons-photography's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northamptonshire - England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 497
QuoteOriginally posted by hrishi Quote
Dear friends, with God's grace I was finally able to buy K10D, (my 1st DsLR) on 23rd April2008!!!!!

I got it very costly though, for Rs. 35000/- i.e. around $875...got it from Mumbai...I got it wid Bill n waranty..N though I i'm sure its a grey product, d dealer, is under d impression dat I believe what he said- Dats its official pentax waranty...d waranty actually is dealer's 1 year waranty...but I got gifts worth $50, n a bill + ALL d accessories which r normally supplied wid d 'White' product, including decent booklets as manuals (not d xeroxed ones supplied in grey)...

So my conclusion is dat, I DID get a grey product, but d deal was done as if d product is white, n hence, I could get atleast dealer's waranty...n as d grey price in Mumbai is running at $775, d deal what i got isnt dat bad...

of course, i had little choice as only 2 shops in Fort, Mumbai keep Pentax...

D fact remains dat I'm more than happy 2 get K10D!!!!!

I did some quick macro tests using my FA 50/1.4, 2x Tconverter, 25mm extension tube...its superb...got more than life size magnification wid this combo!!

Also tried my k 300/4 lens...it does fine...checked in all apertures...will analyse d exposure issue..

Still lot many things to do...but as exams r starting from Monday, will do everything later...

My sincere thanks to all of u..

could you please use common english ? glad you got your camera and I hope it does you well
04-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member
KrisK10D's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,277
Congrats on your new camera!

A quick aside... I was under the impression that a Grey Market camera was one bought in a different country to that of residence. eg: I live in Australia but buy my camera in China cause it's cheaper, so warrantee in Australia is ify. The camera itself is still Pentax, Pentax designed and made. If you do not have a dealer in your country that sells Pentax then Pentax can't really claim a grey market product cause you have to get it elsewhere, IMHO. If you live in Mumbai and you bought the camera in Mumbai it's not grey market.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1st, b4, camera, dont, dslr, k10d, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery Preflight Jitters? ivoire Post Your Photos! 2 08-03-2010 02:37 PM
For Sale - Sold: K10D w/ 3 Extra Batteries, DVD Tutorial, K10D Book! ksignorini Sold Items 2 08-28-2008 08:24 PM
How do you handle your pre-event jitters? little laker General Talk 18 04-06-2008 07:37 AM
For Sale - Sold: FS: New K10D battery, K10D book sven Sold Items 2 12-17-2007 12:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top