Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

sling type camera bag for K-r

I am looking into getting a sling type camera bag for my K-r and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? So far the lowpro series at Best Buy seems to have one i kind of like and that reason is it seems like i can swing it in front of me and use the bag as an elbow rest to help steady my shots. So any info or what to steer clear of or who to steer clear of would be of great help!

02-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax also makes a dedicated sling bag that you might want to consider:
Pentax 85231 DSLR Sling Bag 2 (Black) 85231 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
I am looking into getting a sling type camera bag for my K-r and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? So far the lowpro series at Best Buy seems to have one i kind of like and that reason is it seems like i can swing it in front of me and use the bag as an elbow rest to help steady my shots. So any info or what to steer clear of or who to steer clear of would be of great help!
I've used a Lowepro Sling 100, ended up returning it after a couple of days trying it out around the house in favour of a normal messenger-style camera bag. It wasn't all that much quicker than any other bag, and was a pain to sling around.

If you travel light I'd recommend a Black Rapid sling strap instead - got one and have never looked back.
02-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure how bulky the K-R is compared my K-3, but I like the LowePro Transit Sling 250 for a city walk-around bag (about $99). It fits my K-3 with 18-135 or 55-300 attached (tight fit for the latter) and a couple of small-medium sized lenses, plus my flash, a Gary Fong light diffuser in the top section, plus a few other small accessories, wallet and phone. There is a sleeve in the back to hold a 7" or 10" tablet, but anything larger won't fit. I do like having the side access and the sling style for an everyday bag.

Transit Sling 250 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

There is a somewhat smaller version (Transit 150) if you're carrying less stuff.

I also really liked the even smaller and lighter Streamline Sling ($49) but it was only big enough for my Sony NEX, not the K-3.

02-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Amazon has it for significantly less than B&H or Adorama, but it is an earlier version of the bag.

Amazon.com: Pentax DSLR Nylon Black Sling Bag: Camera & Photo
02-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm very much a sling bag type of field shooter, changing primes constantly in muddy or ocean conditions where you just cannot set anything down anywhere. Ive gravitated toward Lowepro products and have their Slingshot 200AW and Slingshot 302 AW. I've reviewed one or both of those bags in the accessory reviews so wont restate too much. I recommend the slingshot 200 for your needs if you need a fairly light capacity bag to hold your gear but not be too intrusive, and still latch/lock around your waist when you need to climb and not have it shift on you. the pockets/compartments are well thought out and rain cover has been a feature I didn't think I'd use much, but have found to be very important.
Recently, a zipper on one of my bags began to slip and I contacted the company...per their lifetime warranty, they had a brand new replacement bag in my hands within a couple days, no charge, no shipping. very impressed!!
good luck in your search.

here are some reviews for the Slingshot:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-slingshot-200-aw.html

Last edited by mikeSF; 02-24-2014 at 03:25 PM.
02-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the the Pentax sling bag it holds quite a bit, I also had a tamrac velocity 9 which was awesome for access...

JJ

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 04:11 PM ----------

If it's not sold there was a Pentax slingbag 2 on the marketplace for 25 bucks can't beat that IMHO....

JJ

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 04:14 PM ----------

Oops it sold

JJ
02-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Tamrac Velocity. They come in multiple sizes, are very well constructed, comfortable, versatile, and reasonably priced. I bought an older model in like new condition on Ebay for a lot less than newer styles.

02-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
Im really liking the transit sling 250 and 150 bags, i think i may go that route.
02-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

I use the lowepro sling 102.
It's small enough to fit under our commuter airline seats.
It's also great for lens changes. I usually shoot primes and you can bring the bag around in front of you and use like a shelf with edges and easily change lenses.
Once you get used to carrying it, it's fast and convenient to get the camera out for your shot.
I will also carry the camera without the "never ready" lens cap on because it's still protected in the bag.