Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #1

Sensor cleaning

I got my K100d by Christmas, today I was trying to clean the CCD, so I enter to menu to choose sensor cleaning and select "mirror UP", and after I press "OK" the screen show Battery depleted", and turned off automaticlly, then I chaged to Alkaline battery and the problem was the same..

I'm using energizer rechargeble NiMh 2200mAh, and the battery was fully charged... so can somebody solve my problem?

01-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if the planets are in the wrong alingment or what, but I can't get NiMh battery to hold a charge for anything right now. I just threw away about 20 of them because I would get just a few shots and they would die. Different brands, different mAh, different age. All bad in the last few weeks. Something is in the air.
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I don't know if the planets are in the wrong alingment or what, but I can't get NiMh battery to hold a charge for anything right now. I just threw away about 20 of them because I would get just a few shots and they would die. Different brands, different mAh, different age. All bad in the last few weeks. Something is in the air.
Probably not, but it does seem like there maybe something in the charger! Do have it checked out by a competent technician as a starting point. Presuming that you're using them in a camera, if the charger is not the problem then either the camera has problems or it's a case of operator error.
These batteries are normally super reliable when used correctly.
01-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

have you updated your firmware lately? not sure if it was an issue with earlier firmwares for that body. the k10 had a problem when in bulb mode. it would report low battery. was fixed in the new firmware

just a thought

01-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K100 also uses the painfully expensive crv3 batteries; but they have an excellent shelf life. Sensor cleaning and firmware updating are semi-critical and critical activities; find some crv3 on sale and keep a set in your bag. Sorry for the 'in-your-face' attitude of my answer, but...

The other safe alternative is an external power source and being tethered to the wall outlet for these operations. The flip side is to keep using undependable rechargeables in critical activities, locking up the camera or botching the firmware and a trip to a service center for even more expensive non-warrantee repairs.
01-22-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Multiple chargers, multiple cameras. I think they are just mad because I spend more time with the K10.
01-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Multiple chargers, multiple cameras. I think they are just mad because I spend more time with the K10.
No, they are just saying, "put us out of our misery!" j/k.

To be honest with you, no clue why your batteries are giving you such a hassle but I did a firmware upgrade about a week before I tried to invade my camera to blow out some dust. No problems. Are you at the latest firmware?
01-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody.. my problem is solved..
how? just updating the firmware..

01-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

why not spend $10 on an external power sourse. you might even have a wart laying around that's 6.5 volts. i don't use a card reader to d/l images so i've got a multi voltage ac/dc converter. works great with my DS at 6.5v and my fuji at 5/.5v.
01-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

also, when the sensor really gets dirty(100% chance) you'll need to visit these guys
Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Sensor Cleaning Items
and purchase this
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DIGI-KIT4-F
they have an excellent tutorial about sensor cleaning on their site.
01-25-2007, 09:52 PM   #11

My Eclipse solution and Pec Pads arrived today so I was finally able to wet clean my K100D sensor.

It had a lot of dust that wouldn't blow off. Dozens of specks including some large oieces of lint there were stuck. So being impatient, I tried some tape. The Scotch Magic Mending Tape had been billed as effective and it did work well on the first try, but I couldn't leave it alone and when I did it a third time, it left adhesive on the sensor. I say don't use tape.

I wrapped the Pec Pads around a piece of stiff cardboard with a rubber band, wetted them with the alcohol solution, and after some swabbing, the goop came off. It wasn't that trivial and I was afraid it wouldn't work but the sensor eventually came clean. I still see two or three small specks on a test exposure, but I can deal with them.

You might be able to buy Ecipse solution and Pec Pads at your local store. I originally asked for a sensor cleaning kit, but Ritz/Wolf didn't carry a kit. They probably had Eclipse and lint free wipes though.
01-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

i've seen the use tape suggestion before, no way i'd use it..
i did try a brand new lenspen.. forget it, it left 300% more on the sensor. i'll stick(?) with the pecpads .....
01-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
also, when the sensor really gets dirty(100% chance) you'll need to visit these guys
Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Sensor Cleaning Items
and purchase this
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=DIGI-KIT4-F
they have an excellent tutorial about sensor cleaning on their site.
I just got that kit (actually the "bigger" one that includes the Rocket blower). It seems to work well, though I will find out tomorrow for sure. I'm having to re-arrange my bag to hold that blower, much less the other parts :-)
01-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
Inactive Account

After reading a few sites about dust I went out and bought a rocket blower also. I'm sure ill need to use it at some stage.