Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
(except that you don't want to continuously switch focusing screens)?
That would be a fairly obvious reason. I shoot a variety of subjects using both AF and manual focus lenses and the improved AF system was one of the big draws in favor of the K-3 over the much less expensive K-5IIs. Loss of spot metering with an aftermarket screen is truly no big deal, but loss of a major camera function is quite another.

Steve

03-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be a fairly obvious reason. I shoot a variety of subjects using both AF and manual focus lenses and the improved AF system was one of the big draws in favor of the K-3 over the much less expensive K-5IIs. Loss of spot metering with an aftermarket screen is truly no big deal, but loss of a major camera function is quite another.

Steve
Have you tried the K-3 stock screen? The viewfinder is much brighter than the K-5.
03-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Have you tried the K-3 stock screen? The viewfinder is much brighter than the K-5.
I may be wrong, but doesn't the K-3 ship with the same MF-60 focus screen that came with Pentax dSLRs since the K-7? Viewfinder brightness is not the issue. Rather, it is apparent depth-of-field (equivalent to about f/4 at best) that makes manual focus with the stock screen a joke.

Steve
03-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #19
Forum Member

K3 viewfinder is slightly large than K5 with 100% coverage and 0.95 magnification (0.92 - k5) , but is not really a big difference.

03-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by florinlib Quote
K3 viewfinder is slightly large than K5 with 100% coverage and 0.95 magnification (0.92 - k5) , but is not really a big difference.
Yes, but the focus screen is the same size as always (the size of the sensor for 100% coverage...funny thing). Magnification is a function of the eyepiece ocular.

Steve
03-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I may be wrong, but doesn't the K-3 ship with the same MF-60 focus screen that came with Pentax dSLRs since the K-7? Viewfinder brightness is not the issue. Rather, it is apparent depth-of-field (equivalent to about f/4 at best) that makes manual focus with the stock screen a joke.

Steve
Have you tried it? I just checked with my A50 f1.4. I focused on a number of things, in low to medium light close in, and then checked with the liveview focus peaking, and it was right on. I could see the depth of field. I know I couldn't with the K5, I installed the ees screen to get decent manual focus.

A split or ees screen makes it very obvious, but the K-3 viewfinder works.
03-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Yes, but the focus screen is the same size as always (the size of the sensor for 100% coverage...funny thing). Magnification is a function of the eyepiece ocular.
But greater magnification should help, right? I know people using K-5's with O-ME53 magnifiers specifically for manual focusing. Although 0.92 vs 0.95 seems like a small difference to me.
03-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #23
Forum Member

A friend who has k5II says that using manual focus is better than the k5...