Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really miss the articulated screen when I tried out a Panasonic GH2 a couple years ago. Fast forward a couple years and now I really need one. I love to shoot flowers, greenery, and the forest floor from just about ground level, but now because of a physical limitation, I can't get on or near the ground. I've looked at the option of a field monitor which I might get in the future, but is so bulky compared to an integrated screen.

And no - I am not going to spend $1300+ on a new camera so I can view it on a wireless remote screen when I am 100% happy with my current camera.

02-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would like one. Last time, I swore my next camera would have one - I'm not sure if that was right before or after getting the K-5D, which is probably as far as I'm going with Pentax. I've had a few Canon P&S's all with rotating screens and never had an issue. They can't be beat for over-the crowd or ankle-level shots. Not every shot should be from a 5-ft high viewpoint.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-26-2014 at 07:11 PM.
02-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A tilt screen is something I didn't think was that big a deal except when I was scrunched down trying to look though the viewfinder when taking a low macro shot. I bought a Sony Nex 6 a few months ago and love it. I would put it on my list of features I'm looking for on my next camera.
02-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #19

I'm old and very out of shape and I have, over the years taken a lot of "faith" pictures. I call them faith pictures because they are pictures taken while holding the camera at ground level, while shooting up or at something that I'm trying to get an interesting angle on. But I can only have faith that I will get in the shot of what I envision because I can't get down at ground level to look through the viewfinder (my camera is old like me and doesn't have a live view, at least I've never seen how to do it in the manual). Well I could get down on the ground but it might require paramedics or a crane to get me back up and that certainly would not be a pretty picture...

Anyway I had said that my next camera would have the articulating screen. I've been waiting and watching and hoping for at least a couple of years now that Pentax would add the feature to one of their entry level cameras. (I think a lions share of my posts around here have been something about the articulating screen on a Pentax camera)

I had all but given up, and was going to go ahead and upgrade from my *istD to a K50, and give up on waiting... then I saw the new 645 had a tilt screen. While not fully articulating, it was a tease for possible things to come on the next generation of the entry level Pentax camera.

So now... I'm waiting again.

Don't toy with me Pentax. Take the next step and put the articulating screen on the K60 (or whatever is set to be next entry level camera in line hopefully this fall/winter).

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've ordered a Flucard, which when coupled with my iPad mini will have functionality tilt screen users will only be able to drool over. Essentially the flu card removes the screen from the camera, and allows you to walk 7.5 meters from the camera, and still see what's in the viewfinder and act as a remote trigger. I'm not really clear on why with such technology, you'd even want a tilt screen. OK, maybe standing in a crowded concert, holding the camera up over your head and taking pictures of the stage or something like that. But much of the need for a tilt screen is filled by the flu card.
Of course this is something I need to learn more about. If I could use a flucard coupled to my smartphone where I could see what I was shooting in real time it might make the articulating screen issue mute. I need to learn more about how this flucard works, or... maybe the next generation will have full tethering capabilities?

02-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
It's practically standard on low-to-mid-priced DSLR bodies and compacts, Sony and Fujifilm seemed to have worked out the W/R feature and broken screens don't appear to be littering the landscape.
I don't know about littering the landscape, but I did manage to break the screen on my nearly-new E-M5. I was carrying both it and a rifle at the same time, and the camera swung on it's strap, and the back of the camera bumped the rifle scope. It didn't seem like a hard knock, but I could tell from the sound that it wasn't good. It actually hit the plastic bezel, but that was close enough to send spiderweb cracks through the screen. (And it still worked! But obviously I couldn't leave it that way.) If I'd been carrying the K-01 it probably would have put a ding in the housing, but I doubt it would have actually broken anything.

I do like tilty screens. However, the K-01's screen is viewable from surprisingly high and low angles. And Pentax do seem to be going after the more rugged and outdoorsy photographers. So... I don't think a tilt screen is a must-have feature for Pentax DSLRs. If they do, I hope they figure out a way to protect the edges somewhat better.
02-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have maybe used Live View a total of 10 times between my K-x,K-5 and now the K-3 so I really do not see where I would ever use it.