Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinn Quote
The d7100 is not weather resistant so it is unfair to compare their bodies, even though both bodies are magnesium alloy it is clear that weather sealing adds more bulk to a camera. Why don't you compare the bodies of the D300 and the K3 and come back here and give us your assessment of those two cameras.
This is a quote from Nikon regarding the D7100...

"The body is also durable as it employs magnesium alloy for the top and rear covers. With effective sealing applied on various parts of the body, it secures weather and dust resistance, equivalent to the D800 series and D300S."

from here...

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D7100

03-07-2014, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to love shooting with the D200 and D300s -- those were pro level cameras and a joy to use. Probably two of the best cameras Nikon has made in the past ten years. The K-3 is the closest camera by any manufacturer that has the same gut "feel" to me. Neither the D7000 nor the D7100 have the same operational feel, nor do they shoot as fast nor do either have a decent buffer. I would call them "prosumer" level, whereas the K-3 is definitely pro-level, a kindred spirt of the D200 and D300s. While the D7100 can take fabulous photos (I have shot extensively with this body and can attest to how good it is), what I was waiting for was a D400. I got tired of waiting and now couldn't be happier with my K-3 + 60-250mm (for "reach") together with my D800 + 14-24mm and 24-70mm for everything else.

And if that inventor ever delivers a WR multi-format mounting plate to allow mounting Pentax/Nikkor/Olympus lenses to my K-3, I will be the first in line to purchase one, since I generally travel with both Nikon and Pentax these days and it would be awesome to be able to mount Nikkor glass onto my K-3 in an emergency (or just for kicks).

Michael
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I got tired of waiting and now couldn't be happier with my K-3 + 60-250mm (for "reach") together with my D800 + 14-24mm and 24-70mm for everything else.
Every naysayer on this Forum should read your posts. The questions you've asked on another thread are actually more a testimony to your experience and insight than your comments here, but your observations on the K3 are a delight to read.
03-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #34

Nikon shooter here! I shot with a D7100, great camera if you can get past the buffer limitation. I've also shot it in -10 degree weather including heavy snow and wind. It never missed a beat. It's build quality is NOT why I'm looking at the K-3, it's the buffer limitation of the D7100.

So, I have never fired off a Pentax camera in my life. I want to give the Pentax K-3 a go and the only thing stopping me is the AF system. Everywhere I read I keep seeing that Pentax AF doesn't compete with Canikon but it's getting better. This is the only thing stopping me from getting the K-3. I would rather have 7 in-focus images shot in high speed than 23 out of focus images shot at high speed.

Is there anyway to quantify the AF differences without trying it out for myself? TIA!

03-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I rented a K-3 from LensRentals and after using it for three days in a variety of conditions I was convinced that it would do what I wanted. I recommend to everyone to always rent before you buy -- I can't tell you how many times I rented a body or lens and afterward commented "glad I rented that -- I would have been unhappy had I purchased it". In the long run, I believe renting saves you money.

YMMV

Michael
03-09-2014, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #36

I rented a K-3 from LensRentals and after using it for three days in a variety of conditions I was convinced that it would do what I wanted. I recommend to everyone to always rent before you buy -- I can't tell you how many times I rented a body or lens and afterward commented "glad I rented that -- I would have been unhappy had I purchased it". In the long run, I believe renting saves you money.

YMMV

Michael
Funny you should say that because I was just on their website checking out prices. K-3 with a 300mm f/4 would set me back $110 for three days. I consider that to be a lot unless I was doing it for a paid gig. Buying from somewhere with a good return policy might be a better option.
03-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dgrPhotos Quote
Funny you should say that because I was just on their website checking out prices. K-3 with a 300mm f/4 would set me back $110 for three days. I consider that to be a lot unless I was doing it for a paid gig. Buying from somewhere with a good return policy might be a better option.
I got mine from Amazon proper (i.e. not a third party fulfilled by Amazon). It cost $1100 and is backed by their great return policy.

03-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #38

Okay, decided to take a chance and pick one up. I used the Pentax forums link to buy through B&H since they were having a special. The lens on the other hand is hard to find in stock, need to shop around.
12-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #39

Photos: Albums
The most common walk around lens you would use with the K3 would be the 18-135mm and the most common one you would use with the D 7100 would be the 18-140mm. Maybe it would also be good to compare these two lenses?
12-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

YMMV

Michael
LensRentals also has invested in their own optical bench. I don't know that they test every lens before sending them out (they say that they test 400 lenses a day), but in reading between the lines - it appears that they might try. This should ensure that you are getting as perfect lens as possible. They also have an option that if you like it, you can just keep it. This would appear to be a good way of avoiding playing "lens lottery", needing to go through 2 or 3 copies in order to get a good one.
PS - an optical bench runs about $80K to $150K