Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Similar in the way that the K-5 and D7000 used almost the same Sony sensor. Since the K-3 uses a Sony sensor and the D7100 uses a Toshiba sensor, they are not similar in that regard.
I would have said that the K5 and D7000 used the same sensor (not similar), albeit with different surrounding hardware.

02-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would have said that the K5 and D7000 used the same sensor (not similar), albeit with different surrounding hardware.
I wouldn't say that if I don't know it to be true, and I don't.

I know the D7000 and the K-5 both use a 16MP Sony sensor. Whether or not is is the exact same model, I don't know. But it is similar.

Last edited by starbase218; 02-26-2014 at 02:09 PM.
02-26-2014, 05:42 PM - 5 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've shot extensively with the D7000, D7100, and now K-3. My primary camera is a D800. I have been looking for a 2nd body to use with the D800 for some time now but found that the D7100 is not a "good enough" companion to the D800. Even though I use DxO Optics Pro for processing, I found the "look" of the D7100 to be noticeably different than the D800 and as such, using it together with the D800 presented a problem for me: what I wanted was a seamless experience so that one could not tell which camera took which picture for any given session. Worse, the D7100 buffer is so small as to make it get in the way quite frequently during normal landscape shooting exercises. And finally, the only decent Nikkor lenses are all designed for FX and as such are much bigger and heavier than they need to be when used primarily on a crop sensor body such as the D7100 (in other words, there is little weight savings using a crop sensor in the Nikon world when paired with pro-level Nikkor glass).

When the K-3 came out I was cautiously optimistic and rented one from LensRentals together with a DA 60-250mm. I compared this system over Christmas to my D800 + AF-S 80-400mm and proved to myself that the K-3 was the 2nd camera I had been waiting for. I don't need to list the differences between the D7100 and the K-3 (you can find that elsewhere). But I can tell you as a dedicated Nikon shooter that the K-3 is now an essential part of my D800 kit and I am satisfied that when I shoot both cameras together on the same shoot, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Michael
02-26-2014, 06:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An interesting perspective and one most Pentax users wouldn't have thought of, or been aware of.

02-27-2014, 05:07 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
The K-3 does NOT use the same (or even a similar) sensor as the D7100.
I'm always prepard to be corrected, and appreciate the oppounity to gain further knowlege. My understanding is that the he D7100 and k-3 used the same sensor. Im fully prepard to accept you are correct, but can you point me to the evidence please? When I was doing the comparisons a while back all I read lead me to believe the Nikon was using the same sensor as the Pentax.

Even assuming you are correct, I would sill be gobsmacked if the D7100 IQ was at a discernible level above the K-3

Last edited by wizofoz; 02-27-2014 at 05:14 AM.
02-27-2014, 06:41 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I'm always prepard to be corrected, and appreciate the oppounity to gain further knowlege. My understanding is that the he D7100 and k-3 used the same sensor. Im fully prepard to accept you are correct, but can you point me to the evidence please? When I was doing the comparisons a while back all I read lead me to believe the Nikon was using the same sensor as the Pentax.

Even assuming you are correct, I would sill be gobsmacked if the D7100 IQ was at a discernible level above the K-3
There was a lot of info that said the D7100 sensor was made by Toshiba, while the K3 sensor was made by Sony. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239246-k3-sensor-its-sony-pf-wacked-out.html

The big difference in my opinion, is that the Toshiba sensor is more prone to banding.
02-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well it is clear the two sensors are different -- the pixel dimensions (height vs width) are close but definitely NOT the same at all.

Michael

02-28-2014, 12:02 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys. always happy to be corrected.

That's interesting information about the Toshiba sensor Rondec. Are we saying the Sony sensor seems to be superior?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Micky. I'll take it elsewhere if you want.
02-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #24

i sold my D7100 and came back to pentax.. i bought the K-3 set with 18-135mm, could not resist from the new offer with grip and 50mm.. :-)

Just my two words, as a former pentax user, i tried the D800... sold it and bought the D7100. I could not justifiy the price for the performance of the D800 (dont get me wrong it is a superb camera, just in my hands maybe not taken full advantage of it). With the D7100 i was dissapointed from the body quality (i was using a k5 for 3 years). The SD Card cover indeed does not give you a high quality feeling. Mostly what i missed from pentax is the superb ergonomics and magnesium body. In the D800 i found the comfort of perfect autofocus system and high ISO. In the D7100 autofocus is worse (ofcourse much better then the K-5) as the high ISO image quality is not so good. The buffer for continuous pictures is awful with RAW pics, acceptable with JPEGs..

So i am very happy to try the new K-3 and hopefully sigma will release the 18-35 1.8 for pentax soon. I was using this lens for the D7100 and it is indeed almost better then prime lenses :-)

as for the small sensor differences between K-3 and D7100, i dont think there is a noticeable difference, but i will test this as soon as my K-3 arrives!
02-28-2014, 04:16 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Thanks guys. always happy to be corrected.

That's interesting information about the Toshiba sensor Rondec. Are we saying the Sony sensor seems to be superior?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Micky. I'll take it elsewhere if you want.
DXO Mark tests the sensors to be about the same (the D7100 sensor actually scores a little better due to better dynamic range at base iso). However users report banding on the D7100 sensor at high iso or when pushing shadows, which can be really difficult to deal with in post, whereas there have been no such reports with this on the K3 sensors.
02-28-2014, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the differences in sensor IQ are minimal between K-3 and D7100. Neither camera's sensor is going to make you a better photographer. Lenses are another matter. You might ask yourself do you want to travel small and light? Then go with Pentax and pick up some limiteds. If you need lots of choices in big expensive zoomy lenses, then go with Nikon. If you want high speed, big buffer, or water resistance, go with Pentax. If you need the best flash system, go with Nikon. Your choice of cameras should not be about the sensor give the two bodies you have narrowed down to.

YMMV

Michael
02-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

+1 ^. I've talked to a few wedding guys who use the Nikon 7100 because of the flash system, who were very disappointed that Pentax didn't do a major upgrade on the flash. They would have basically sold their D7100s and bought a K-3 in a heartbeat, if it had comparable flash capability.
02-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
+1 ^. I've talked to a few wedding guys who use the Nikon 7100 because of the flash system, who were very disappointed that Pentax didn't do a major upgrade on the flash. They would have basically sold their D7100s and bought a K-3 in a heartbeat, if it had comparable flash capability.
I thought that flash exposure was much more reliable on the K-3. If that's not what you mean, then what is it?
02-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I thought that flash exposure was much more reliable on the K-3. If that's not what you mean, then what is it?
It's one of those deals where, if you don't know what they are talking about, it's probably not important to you.
03-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #30
Inactive Account

The d7100 is not weather resistant so it is unfair to compare their bodies, even though both bodies are magnesium alloy it is clear that weather sealing adds more bulk to a camera. Why don't you compare the bodies of the D300 and the K3 and come back here and give us your assessment of those two cameras.