Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crap. Wrong thread.

07-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Interesting read, I suspect some of you like I have old aging eyes. I've spent the last 25 yrs with my ME Super Program, but not that much the last couple....when my eyes have been changing the most. (have to keep pushing books further and further away to read!) It of course had a split screen focus, but I used long lenses a lot so that blacked it out, so I got used to using the area around the ring to focus. So while I miss the ring, maybe not as much as some.

Have any of you tried the ME55 (IIRC) Magnifying veiwfinder add-on piece? It's mentioned on a slip that came with my camera, and I read about it either here or DPReview. I ordered one from Amazon ($36 shipped free...reg price is $49) It should be here in a couple days, it got excellant reveiws with peeps saying they could focus easier, see all the info, plus as an added bonus it moves your head back a bit lessing the nose grease on the LCD!
07-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, the linked article (Manual Focus with AF DSLRs) was very interesting.

I have also noticed that the DOF I see with my f1.4 lens is much larger through the viewfinder at wide apertures.

It seems to me that this problem could be eliminated by switching to a plain ground glass screen, BUT it would probably make the viewfinder less bright since the point of those microlenses is apparently to improve light efficiency at their chosen optimum aperture. But, if this were true, then people who switch to a katzeye or other screen should be reporting loss of brightness at certain apertures. I haven't heard that.

Note that we don't want a "clear screen" because then you aren't focusing on the screen. It just needs to be matte, so it diffusely scatters the light. Otherwise you might as well just take the screen out entirely.