Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2014, 07:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get a used K-30, probably wouldn't cost much more than renting the K-5. Same IQ, weather resistant body, all good!

02-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Get a used K-30, probably wouldn't cost much more than renting the K-5. Same IQ, weather resistant body, all good!
Ooh! That's a good idea!
02-28-2014, 07:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Great inputs, thanks everyone! The big attraction is the WR, but I'll admit the improved body capability is quite tempting too I'll take a look at that and see what the cruise package may have missed when it scoured out the ol' bank account (yikes!). I hadn't thought about having time to adjust to a new body, so I'm really glad it was mentioned… That's why this is such a great bunch of folks around here

Cruise is a 7-day out of Seattle, stops at Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and hits Glacier Bay in there. We are going to try and get on a whale-watching excursion, but nothing solid on those yet. And we got a balcony so I plan on plenty of time watching the scenery go past!

Jim
Would more than likely cost 200-300 dollars to rent, wouldnt hurt to put that money on a new body. Your current glass would be very happy

I wouldnt fret using a new body, I settled right in to my K-3

Once you read Adam's writeup on in the official reviews you're set.
02-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I second the K30 if you can find one. The learning curve should be a little smaller that the 5.

That trip is one you should always get the balcony room for, at least the first time. The small gauge White Mountain RR trip has a lot of photo ops. Well worth the cost.

We still enjoy our pictures and all we took along were 2 Canon Powershots. They were lacking a bit. It was actually that trip that lead me back to SLR in the form of a DSLR.

02-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Definitely looking into the K-30 idea too I'm taking along my Oly for hauling around everywhere, but there are certainly times when I know I'll be wanting the best glass I can manage. I have always been happy with the quality from the K100D, since I rarely print (other than 4x6 for scrapping…), and on a computer screen 6mp can look nearly as good as 16. The Oly is 16mp, has decent low-light performance, and does a pretty good job with video. It'd just be nice to really have some reach, and not be worried about rainy days. SO I will be on the lookout for spare pennies and camera bodies…

Jim
02-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #21
Emperor and Senpai

I would almost consider a 18-135 WR for any off the ship touring. That weathersealing is great.
02-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #22
Pentaxian

At least get/rent lens(es). I really like the DA*50-135, and I think you would too. But in this case I think the DA*60-250 (or DA*300) plus a DA*55 would be your best bet. Naturally you'll want your DA12-24 as well.

The K100D is a good body (K100D Super was my first DSLR). So put one lens on it and rent/buy another body for a 2nd lens.

Since the XZ-1 is a good "catchall" camera covering normal focal lengths (I have one too), and you can keep it in your pocket, you can even afford to spread the focal lengths out with a DA*300, DA*55, and your DA12-24. This combo will undoubtedly give you the best optical quality you can get. Even though you may occasionally not have the exact focal length you thought you wanted, the photos you get with these will be much more worthy of comment when you and others see them. Use the XZ-1 as your "security blanket" for not having all the focal lengths.

You'll want to put the DA*55 on the newer body, and you'll have a low-light monster with AF. This will be the lens to use just after sunset. Put the DA*300 on the K100D (I'm assuming it's not a Super). It can use the screw drive. Long lenses are often a good match on older bodies anyway, unless you're cropping a lot of the photo (I don't).

Here are examples of the DA*60-250 and F/FA*300 (which are comparable to the DA*300) on a K100D:

PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

03-01-2014, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #23

Another +1 for getting a K30

My wife and I went last August. She with a K-x and me with a K-30. We took some primes and a 18-200 superzooms (plus a 55-300 for whale watching). My son also took my old K100d when we went whale watching.

We found none of the cameras lacking. Alaska is a beautiful place and it is hard to take poor pictures!

Here is a link to six photos taken with the Kx and K30Alaska with some Pentaxes - a set on Flickr

03-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by makingplansfor Quote

My wife and I went last August. She with a K-x and me with a K-30. We took some primes and a 18-200 superzooms (plus a 55-300 for whale watching). My son also took my old K100d when we went whale watching.

We found none of the cameras lacking. Alaska is a beautiful place and it is hard to take poor pictures!

Here is a link to six photos taken with the Kx and K30Alaska with some Pentaxes - a set on Flickr
Nice photos. I especially like #3, 4, and 6. They show how an average lens can get some nice landscapes.

And #1 and 2 are nifty with the timing. But they're also examples of how they could have been even better with a DA*300 (or even a DA*60-250). The DA*300 at f/4.5 or f/5 gives better clarity and subject isolation. 6x and 11x zooms just can't match it at the long end. And even though the DA*300 is "stuck" at 300mm, it would have worked out well for both these shots. In #2 you wouldn't have just seen the tail, it would have featured the tail!

This is not a criticism of your photos. You did an excellent job with the equipment you had - in fact I'm very impressed!

---------- Post added 03-01-14 at 03:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I would almost consider a 18-135 WR for any off the ship touring. That weathersealing is great.
Good idea. You could probably get away with just a DA18-135 and DA*300 if you're more comfortable with that. You'd just be missing out on the night capabilities of the DA*55 (Notice how 2 of the 3 landscapes I liked just happened to be at 55mm? (I didn't until just now). And the third was actually longer, at 103mm, so you could have cropped it from a high resolution DA*55 shot if necessary).

But don't use anything less than a * lens over 135mm.

Last edited by DSims; 03-01-2014 at 04:10 AM.
03-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #25

Thanks for the critique. Looking back at #1, I see that I have uploaded a really poor picture!

I have deleted this one and added another to the set from the same camera and lens - which although would not be as good as DA*300, it does show off the set up a bit better!

Looking back the lens on the Kx was a sigma 100-300. At one point the whales came so close to the boat my wife found 100mm too long!

---------- Post added 03-01-14 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
But don't use anything less than a * lens over 135mm.
OH - How I would love to afford a * lens
03-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
We're taking a cruise (our first) this summer up to Alaska for our 30th anniversary… Thoughts? Suggestions?
Forgive me if I sound patronising, but I, personally, would focus on the anniversary trip itself on such occasion. I would leave the wildlife photography for another time. For my anniversary trip I would go for foods, remembering old times, walking together, spa experience and other entertainments. When it comes to the photographic documentation, I would "just" rent Sony Cyber-Shot RX1r (amazing full frame manual compact with Carl Zeiss 35/2 glass), if available (sorry Pentax..) or maybe something like Contax T3 loaded with at least Fuji Reala. And focus on admiring scenic surroundings, while holding your wife's hand, taking photographs on rather rare occasions..

Last edited by Dariusz; 03-01-2014 at 05:42 AM.
03-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

If you have a oly, you could use that for landscapes and just rent a pentax da 300 for wildlife. To get a new body or not that is up to you, although a newer body will focus faster and have a larger buffer. An oly could be camera you could lug around with you all the time, and the camera that you have with you all the time will take more pictures.

Last edited by y0chang; 03-01-2014 at 08:55 AM.
03-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Thanks for the critique. Looking back at #1, I see that I have uploaded a really poor picture!

I have deleted this one and added another to the set from the same camera and lens - which although would not be as good as DA*300, it does show off the set up a bit better!
I like the new photo.

(f/5 might even further improve upon it, if the lens is up to it).
Looking back the lens on the Kx was a sigma 100-300. At one point the whales came so close to the boat my wife found 100mm too long!
Time to switch to the other camera with the wider lens on it!

OH - How I would love to afford a * lens
Yes, it's a bit of an expenditure, but the OP said he wants to rent one.
03-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

We're taking a cruise (our first) this summer up to Alaska for our 30th anniversary… I am one of those Luddites who still uses a K100D as my best camera (works just fine for what I have needed!), but for this I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to rent a K5iis and some higher quality glass for the trip. I like the idea of weather-sealed both on ship and ashore, since I don't have any problems getting *my* body out there regardless of conditions. Looks like about $100 for a body for the week, and depending on the lens around the same. I'd likely be taking along my DA 12-24 too, and my little Oly compact, so mostly interested in medium to long ends for wildlife opportunities

Going with a super zoom 18-270 or some such would let me have adequate reach, decent image quality, and really reduce the number of lens changes. Or that and a 1.4 TC (are there weather sealed ones?).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Is it worth it? I might even consider a K-3 except the rentals I have found are all K-5s ….

Jim
Seriously Jim!....you're paying for & taking a 30th Anniversary trip of your life and you need a reason to upgrade your camera???? this is a no brainer...
03-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
Seriously Jim!....you're paying for & taking a 30th Anniversary trip of your life and you need a reason to upgrade your camera???? this is a no brainer...
Can't argue with that

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
If you have a oly, you could use that for landscapes and just rent a pentax da 300 for wildlife. To get a new body or not that is up to you, although a newer body will focus faster and have a larger buffer. An oly could be camera you could lug around with you all the time, and the camera that you have with you all the time will take more pictures.
True. The Oly does take good photos and will be with me, so it will probably end up with the most pics... I'm not planning to pack along more than one DSLR, either, so if the remaining budget allows an upgrade, that and a 300 sounds pretty good to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dariusz Quote
Forgive me if I sound patronising, but I, personally, would focus on the anniversary trip itself on such occasion. I would leave the wildlife photography for another time. For my anniversary trip I would go for foods, remembering old times, walking together, spa experience and other entertainments. When it comes to the photographic documentation, I would "just" rent Sony Cyber-Shot RX1r (amazing full frame manual compact with Carl Zeiss 35/2 glass), if available (sorry Pentax..) or maybe something like Contax T3 loaded with at least Fuji Reala. And focus on admiring scenic surroundings, while holding your wife's hand, taking photographs on rather rare occasions..
Oh, this isn't a 'photography trip', I will indeed be enjoying the whole experience with her... But for certain things like the glaciers and whales, I would also like to get the best photos I can to go along with the memories.

Very nice! Making me think more and more about that K-30!

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
At least get/rent lens(es). I really like the DA*50-135, and I think you would too. But in this case I think the DA*60-250 (or DA*300) plus a DA*55 would be your best bet. Naturally you'll want your DA12-24 as well.

The K100D is a good body (K100D Super was my first DSLR). So put one lens on it and rent/buy another body for a 2nd lens.

Since the XZ-1 is a good "catchall" camera covering normal focal lengths (I have one too), and you can keep it in your pocket, you can even afford to spread the focal lengths out with a DA*300, DA*55, and your DA12-24. This combo will undoubtedly give you the best optical quality you can get. Even though you may occasionally not have the exact focal length you thought you wanted, the photos you get with these will be much more worthy of comment when you and others see them. Use the XZ-1 as your "security blanket" for not having all the focal lengths.

You'll want to put the DA*55 on the newer body, and you'll have a low-light monster with AF. This will be the lens to use just after sunset. Put the DA*300 on the K100D (I'm assuming it's not a Super). It can use the screw drive. Long lenses are often a good match on older bodies anyway, unless you're cropping a lot of the photo (I don't).

Here are examples of the DA*60-250 and F/FA*300 (which are comparable to the DA*300) on a K100D:

Thanks, those are some impressive shots. Choices, choices... I will only be taking one DSLR, and the spousal unit is a simple point and shooter type. A new body and long glass is more what I am leaning towards right now, as much for WR as for the improved capabilty. The 12-24 and a long lens, whether a prime or zoom, would be the choices as far as what I would pack along, most likely.

Much to ponder, thanks everyone, a very fun and fruitful discussion

Jim