Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
If this is your first time on a cruise - plan your time wisely. I'm not sure which ports you're hitting/leaving from, but I don't think you have to deal with tenders (Vancouver might have tenders). Almost all (if not all) tours stop at some souvenir shop, and many of the actual places you want to see are on a tight timeline.

If you hit Victoria and do Butchart Gardens, you'll have maybe 1 hour to do the garden with many others (crowds). Part of the tour gets eaten with a stop at the butterfly gardens. You can get off downtown Victoria and catch a little bit of the harbour Empress before you get back to the ship.
Beacon Hill is also nice (and not far).

Ketchikan isn't bad, a little tourist spot. I only did the bear tour.

Juneau is where you can hit/do the Mendenhal Glacier - its worth seeing - but like other tours - if you hike to the waterfalls, you won't have time to stop/smell the roses, but you will be given a tour of the museum. The waterfall hike is easy/worth it if you're there. There are other tours that might get you closer.

Skagway - If I'm not mistaken, there's a handful of tours - helicopter ride onto a glacier, dogsled, train ride. Town isn't large, but there were 4 ships in when we were there. It is windy due to the 'tunnel' effect of the bay.
Yep, first cruise for us. Not sure where, if any, we'll be on tenders. Juneau gives us a long day, as does Skagway. We've looked at some tour options but haven't settled on them yet. Ketchikan and Victoria we'll probably just wander on foot. Butchart Gardens is very pretty but not the sort of tourist spot we would go hit when we're not staying over in town (the Empress is a fun place...)

Seattle, afternoon sailing
At sea
Juneau 1100am 1000pm
Skagway 6:00am 8:15pm
Glacier bay 6:00am 3:00pm
Ketchikan 7:00am 12:30pm
Victoria 7:00 11:59pm
Seattle 7:00am

03-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

I rent for special occasions quite often. For a trip like that I would get with LensRentals and rent a Pentax 645D and some glass. So far I haven't saved enough money to buy it but I have had opportunity to rent it twice. Great camera.
03-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

No tenders in Vancouver BC. Canada Place is the cruise vessel port, specially built just for cruise ships.
03-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will echo what others have said: the upgrade from the K100D to the K5 will be extremely noticeable. Better DR, IQ and MUCH improved ISO performance. The K5 and grip is the perfect size for travel. You won't regret it I promise.

---------- Post added 03-05-14 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I rent for special occasions quite often. For a trip like that I would get with LensRentals and rent a Pentax 645D and some glass. So far I haven't saved enough money to buy it but I have had opportunity to rent it twice. Great camera.
I thought the K5 sensor provided better DR and to some extent IQ than the 645D? Is there a benefit in using a medium format camera other than the possibility of getting much larger prints? I'm curious about this.

I visited Peter Lik's gallery in Vegas last week and most of his prints are fantastic. He does shoot in medium format, but can't tell whether it's because it's actually superior or because he needs the resolution for the prints.

03-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I thought the K5 sensor provided better DR and to some extent IQ than the 645D? Is there a benefit in using a medium format camera other than the possibility of getting much larger prints? I'm curious about this.

I visited Peter Lik's gallery in Vegas last week and most of his prints are fantastic. He does shoot in medium format, but can't tell whether it's because it's actually superior or because he needs the resolution for the prints.
I'll have to check out Peter Lik's gallery when I get down in your neck of the woods. Doesn't happen often but once in awhile I like spending some time down at the lake.

I recently picked up a K5iis on sale just a couple of months ago so I haven''t done much comparison. I can't speak for the dynamic range but I can tell you for certain there is a lot I can do with the RAW files from that 645D that have nothing to do with print size. I do suspect that I will find similar results with the RAW files from my K5iis. I have a couple of large prints of my family hanging on the way that have been taken with the 645D and they are absolutely stunning, much better than anything I have been able to do with any of my digital SLRs in the past, even the Canon 5D.

For me the 645D is worth the money, others may not feel the same. That is one of the great things about photography today. There is more than enough choice to satisfy most everyone's needs.
03-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Yep, first cruise for us. Not sure where, if any, we'll be on tenders. Juneau gives us a long day, as does Skagway. We've looked at some tour options but haven't settled on them yet. Ketchikan and Victoria we'll probably just wander on foot. Butchart Gardens is very pretty but not the sort of tourist spot we would go hit when we're not staying over in town (the Empress is a fun place...)

Seattle, afternoon sailing
At sea
Juneau 1100am 1000pm
Skagway 6:00am 8:15pm
Glacier bay 6:00am 3:00pm
Ketchikan 7:00am 12:30pm
Victoria 7:00 11:59pm
Seattle 7:00am
Awesome - looks like you have a ton of time in Victoria. Depending on when you're going there are a lot of things to do downtown Victoria. I was lucky enough to be there during the 'Buskers Festival' last year (drove up from L.A.). For walking nearby - there's always Beacon Hill park - not far from the Empress, and its free. They might have concerts on at the time.
03-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Sounds like a great trip. If you have fun your photos will reflect that.

When I graduated from college (university for our European friends); I traveled across southern europe with a K1000 and an A50 F2...that was my entire kit. Last year when I went back I was afraid that I wouldn't have the right lens. That kit consisted of K-X, DA 18-250mm, DA 12-24mm, and DA 35mm f2.4. My K1000 pics were just as compelling because I wasn't bogged down with gear.

Note: I carried a P&S for when my DSLR was inconvenient or impractical.

Have a wonderful experience and record what you see.

Might be helpful
http://jarrode..com/hub/How-to-Photograph-Your-Alaskan-Cruise

Last edited by john5100; 03-09-2014 at 02:41 PM.
03-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #53
Forum Member

So I cannot comment on camera choices since I am looking to get my 1st DSLR in the next month or so.

But if you want to do Whale Watching. I went with this outfit in Juneau and loved it. Small boats w/ only 6 guests. Harv and Marv's Alaska Whale Watching I moved from the bow to the stern taking pictures.

For whales, you probably want that 18-135 because you never know where they will surface. They dive for minutes then pop up. They might pop up right next to the boat or hundreds of yards away.. You just never know. So having the flexibility would be best.

Oh an Glacier bay is awesome. When the ship pulls up to Marjorie and Johns Hopkins glaciers and just sits it is the greatest. It is so peaceful.

Here are a few shots taken with my P&S Canon SX230HS. No post editing because I did not know how to do anything. I am just learning now will probably use my Alaska photos to teach myself.

Whale Tale from afar
Orca Pod
Another Whale
Glacier Calving!

04-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update: I went ahead and ordered a new K-30 from Amazon/Electronics Basket, and an 18-135WR from B&H. Looking forward to playing with new stuff and getting psyched for the trip...

Jim

(edit - K-30 not a K-330... )

Last edited by RoxnDox; 04-09-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: oopsss
04-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Was that the K-30 or K-3 ? I haven't heard of a K-330 yet . Either way, you should have some great scenery. Make sure to visit the Mendenhall Glacier.
If you have some sun (not too much), the blue colour of the glacier ice comes out really nice. Similar if you go to Tracy Arm area.
04-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Update: I went ahead and ordered a new K-30 from Amazon/Electronics Basket, and an 18-135WR from B&H. Looking forward to playing with new stuff and getting psyched for the trip...

Jim
Sounds great - now all you need is to rent that *300 lens!