Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Upgrading My K10D Firmware.

I just finished upgrading my K10D's Firmware, and all seems to have went well. During the upgrading I experienced something, though, and wanted to ask if others noticed the same. The screen still showed the "Upgrading" notification, with the amber LED flashing, when 'COMPLETE' surfaced on the screen. I was kind'a tossed between numbers 7 & 8, of the FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - WINDOWS, but the condition remained as it was for an excessively long period of time, and I thought to take a chance on shutting it down on the strength that the word 'Complete' was showing. It turned out that the firmware did indeed transfer, but I'd like to know if anyone else's updating followed the same course. I guess I am trying to make sure that nothing (even though I did get the upgrade) is even slightly improper about the way that it took.

01-23-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes. I just did the update (downloaded from Pentax UK), and according to Pentax's instructions:

"8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off."

Simon
01-23-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The firmware update is now on the pentax USA website
Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

pentax canada is caught snoozing once again

cheers

randy
01-23-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon Quote
Yes. I just did the update (downloaded from Pentax UK), and according to Pentax's instructions:

"8. When update is completed, the "COMPLETE" will be displayed at the left
bottom of the LCD monitor, then turn the camera off."

Simon
Yes, and I had followed that. I was just wondering if anyone else's upgrading, of the firmware, caused the same condition. If so, then it is just the way they (Pentax) worked it out to be. If not, then there may be something slightly wrong with my camera - even though the firmware did take. I guess that I just expected the screen to drop signs of everything, except for the notice of completion - as opposed to the continually flashing amber LED, along with the 'upgrading' indication yet being visible.

01-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
Yes, and I had followed that. I was just wondering if anyone else's upgrading, of the firmware, caused the same condition. If so, then it is just the way they (Pentax) worked it out to be. If not, then there may be something slightly wrong with my camera - even though the firmware did take. I guess that I just expected the screen to drop signs of everything, except for the notice of completion - as opposed to the continually flashing amber LED, along with the 'upgrading' indication yet being visible.
I just downloaded and installed mine and it installed flawlessly without any extra things displayed on the LCD
once it was done, the red light blinked and the display said complete.
turned it off, then back on again to see the fireware revision displayed.
I haven't had time to play with the new settings (still have lots to learn about the old ones LOL) but everything works fine so far

cheers

randy
01-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that it worked exactly as you described. I don't see how that contradicts the instructions from Pentax.

In fact I did the update before reading down to step 8 and I had a similar thought to yours - "So what do I do now?" When I looked at step 8 it seemed clear.

Simon
01-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simon Quote
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that it worked exactly as you described.
Simon
Simon, please forgive my misinterpretation of your explanation. I, too, thought that the instructions were very clearly laid out - in perusing it prior to my attempt at upgrading. I even followed along with it (just to be doubly sure) even during the process. I sought for a certain condition; didn't see it, and allowed that to grab the bigger part of me . But knowing that the way it happened is par for the course, is much relief to me - and I thank you.

01-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Nate, I had exactly the same experience as you last night when I downloaded and installed. The "Complete" came up, the bar was all the way across, and the yellow light was blinking. I sorta hesitated, but then turned it off and then double checked that it read 1.10. All is fine and everything works.
I had read on some other forums where folks had downloaded and installed prior to the official release that any custom menues they had set were returned to defaults. That was not the case for me. Everything is exactly like I had them set.

Walt
01-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Inactive Account

When I did it the light never stopped blinking. I let it go for about a minute before I decided to turn the camera off. The screen said complete, but the light blinked on.... and on.... and on. All seems to be well, though. Added features and functions are there and work to my liking.

My fear is now that I will be using the pop-up flash (to fire my 540) that it will go the way of other 221xxxx bodies. Working fine so far.
01-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
Nate, I had exactly the same experience as you last night when I downloaded and installed. The "Complete" came up, the bar was all the way across, and the yellow light was blinking. I sorta hesitated, but then turned it off and then double checked that it read 1.10. All is fine and everything works.
I had read on some other forums where folks had downloaded and installed prior to the official release that any custom menues they had set were returned to defaults. That was not the case for me. Everything is exactly like I had them set.

Walt
Thanks Walt. I am OK now .