Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10D red color-cast problem

Hi everyone

I have been using my new 10d with gusto for the past week. However, it seems every image i take the red channel is pushed hard against the right of the histogram in acr.

So, today i bought the lastolite ezybalance to use in custom white balance in the hope of curing the the issue. To a degree it worked fine, but there is still a red cast in the images even though i have used custom white balance.

I cannot think what im doing wrong or what the solution might be. Any help and assistance greatly appreciated!!

Peter

04-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spooked Quote
Hi everyone

I have been using my new 10d with gusto for the past week. However, it seems every image i take the red channel is pushed hard against the right of the histogram in acr.

So, today i bought the lastolite ezybalance to use in custom white balance in the hope of curing the the issue. To a degree it worked fine, but there is still a red cast in the images even though i have used custom white balance.

I cannot think what im doing wrong or what the solution might be. Any help and assistance greatly appreciated!!

Peter
which version of ACR (4.4.1 ?) and which version of camera profile (ACR 3.7, ACR 4.4, Pentax 1.0 or custom tuned ?) ? also it is helpful to post an image (may be link to the .PEF too) and
screenshot of relevant ACR tabs (or just write what is there)...
04-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Screenshot and image

I hope this is what you mean
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use this profile

http://home.comcast.net/~zumbari/K10d_calibration_profile_2007-08-22_iso100.xmp

but with ACR 4.4 instead of Pentax 1.0

04-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I had similar problems with clipped reds/oranges (no colour cast though) and resolved it by reducing the red saturation to -10 in the profile and saving that as the default.
04-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Than you gentlemen, reducing the red saturation to -10 seems to have helped somewhat.

Peter
04-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Im starting to see red now. Update and plea

Hi, im back with this issue of the red channel. Another exmple attached. What i cant understand is that the red tones seem fine on camera, its only once i open them in ACR that the reds go crazy and in turn, its driving me to Despair. What can i do except the options already suggested? Should i send the K10d in for repair.

Your help will be appreciated greatly

Attached Images

04-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you have the camera set to auto white balance or in a manual setting? You have have the color temp set too high making things warmer.
04-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Codiac

I always have the camera set to manual white balance. Is there a global setting option for color temp? If so how would i implement it across all white balance settings?

Thanks

Peter
04-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I always have the camera set to manual white balance. Is there a global setting option for color temp? If so how would i implement it across all white balance settings?

Thanks

Peter
Usually for outdoor portraits AWB is fine and dandy, but if you miss with the manual white balance it cna either end up blue or red outdoors in sunlight.

In the white balance menu just set it to AWB and you should be good. With manual you'll want to adjust it every time you move from one spot to the next as you're shooting. Also, what lens are you shooting, some lenses have a warmer image tone that you'll have to get used to.

Also are you shooting in SRGB or AdobeRGB? Selecting Adobe tends to make things a little red since it increases the number of available values in the red channel mostly.

Honestly there are too many variables for color casts, and the red channel is the first to go with skin on certain skin types because it's made up of white and red. What you're seeing is one reason I can't shoot Canon because in the standard modes people are too magenta and I hate magenta tones. To remove it in Canon you have to shoot faithful which makes the pics lack contrast and depth.

Nikon is better in this respect as they tend to have much more natural colors just like Pentax.

Hope this helps and since you shoot in RAW it's always fixable.
04-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think it is the camera, but the way ACR is handling the files.
As an experiment, try to process one of the files that is giving you trouble in ACR with Pentax Photo lab. If you get truer colors, then it is ACR, not the camera.
04-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #12

As I now exclusively shoot in RAW, I always leave the colour temp set to auto, as I can change it to exactly what I want during post-processing. It's one of the reasons I see shooting directly to JPGs as a little pointless. But with RAW, well, the world's your oyster.
04-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Red Tones

Have you tired clicking on the little red arrow thingy at the top of the red line that goes "off the page". This will highlight, in red, the portions of the image where ACR has determine that there is clipping. The basic histogram doesn't look too bad so it may be a very small area. Dave

Hi, im back with this issue of the red channel. Another exmple attached. What i cant understand is that the red tones seem fine on camera, its only once i open them in ACR that the reds go crazy and in turn, its driving me to Despair. What can i do except the options already suggested? Should i send the K10d in for repair.

Your help will be appreciated greatly
05-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Reaching out, desperate now!!

Hi everyone

Thanks to all of you that made suggestions and offered ideas. As you can see i have been dealing with this problem for some time now and just cannot get things sorted out.

I have even been down the road of uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop to no avail. I have tweaked and chimped to blood streamed from my eyes and the wife was ready to kill me if i didnt get off the PC.

Please, i really, really need a solution. I have tried, silkypix. Acr, Bibble and Pentax own brand and the problem continues. Acr 4.4 and 3.7 seem better at dealing with this than the Pentax 1.00 profile but still unacceptable.

I am really at a loss,

Peter
Attached Images

05-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi everyone

Thanks to all of you that made suggestions and offered ideas. As you can see i have been dealing with this problem for some time now and just cannot get things sorted out.

I have even been down the road of uninstalling and re-installing Photoshop to no avail. I have tweaked and chimped to blood streamed from my eyes and the wife was ready to kill me if i didnt get off the PC.

Please, i really, really need a solution. I have tried, silkypix. Acr, Bibble and Pentax own brand and the problem continues. Acr 4.4 and 3.7 seem better at dealing with this than the Pentax 1.00 profile but still unacceptable.

I am really at a loss,

Peter
Your problem may not be with anything else than your screen calibration. The fact that all images look fine on the camera and all programs displayed the same red tone leads me to believe that your computer screen settings are not calibrated and causes the red tone. Try your images on a different computer to see if the problem still exist.