Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #1

DLSR's vs. Strong Magnets

Working on a backpack tripod system (Prototype #2) and was wondering if anyone knows for sure.
Do strong magnetic fields have an adverse / permanent effect on the various electronics in DLSR's ?
Trying to keep things ultralight and thinking of using some super magnets to hold thing together.
Any and all input from you folks out there appreciated in advance.

Stan Locke

03-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

No they dont
03-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But backpacking your compass will have a problem. Even the shaping magnet in selenium light meter reversed the polarity in my compass.
03-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
But backpacking your compass will have a problem. Even the shaping magnet in selenium light meter reversed the polarity in my compass.
Ah but a photographer can tell true north without a compass..It's the biggest best natural soft box you can get.

03-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...strong enough magnets to hold your camera on a tripod might be strong enough to cause mechanical problems.

Steve
03-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Your electronics will more than likely be fine. The mechanical parts will be another story. How bad it can get, I can't say.
03-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The floating sensor shake reduction works on electromagnets I believe. That would pretty much get trashed no ?
Another brand may be OK.
03-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As long as everything is turned off, it should be fine. Otherwise, anything with electrical circuits doesn't play well with strong magnets. A strong magnetic field will mess with inductors, which will make things go wonky. It's unlikely you'll damage anything (unless the field is so strong it induces additional current that fries chips), though. Take the device out of the magnetic field and it should go back to normal instantly.

You won't be able to magnetize any of the metal components in the camera permanently without one hell of a magnet and a lot of force, so no worries there. Plus, magnesium is not ferromagnetic.

03-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #9

What material is the frame going to be made out of?

To get magnets to work you will have to build the system out of ferrous metal. I think most ferrous metals will be heavier than aluminum or plastics.

You may want to use aluminium tubing or T slot framing for your frame and use a different type of connector. Aluminium Clamp-On Framing Fittings or something like that. Lots of options out there for framing systems.

Maybe even plastics, you can get nylon screws and fittings that will fit the cameras tripod threads.

Just a thought...
03-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

If you open up the camera drop a magnet inside it and put the lens back on it and then do vigorous hiking it will likely damage your camera.
Otherwise it will not harm your camera in any way.
03-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bmer Quote
Strong Magnets
Camera might get invisible under strong magnetic field If that does not happen then you might see color distortion on the LCD and blurry picture due to unreliable SShift.
03-05-2014, 01:42 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The little super-magnets that are used in closures will not harm your camera in any way.
Their super-magnetic property is caused by them not projecting their magnetic lines of flux outwardly. Instead, the field of flux is all very close to the magnet, which is why they stick to each other so well.
It might still screw with a compass though.
03-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Not to hijack the thread, but magnets of the strength you are discussing can also cause problems if close enough to cardiac pacemakers and other medical implants
03-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not sure how strong the magnets are, maybe a super-strong one should affect the SR system?
03-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #15

Original Poster
DLSR's vs. Strong Magnets

My biggest concern is it may affect the SR system.
Won't be using any magnets to hold the camera is place (Have a lightweight Sunwayfoto FB28 ballhead and their panning clamp ) but for holding the
leg assemblies together while they're packed up.
Will try post some photo's of the 1st prototype soon.
Uses my 2 hiking poles and a 3 section Easton alum. tent pole which I which I need and carry anyway.
Happy with the stability and it's less that 200 grams without the ballhead
but lengthy set time and a couple design flaws I didn't catch until it was too late have me working on design #2.
Thanks for all your input folks.