Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would use it at the long end for portraits in a heartbeat. The softness is very flattering for anyone over 20, and from 150 - 200mm it conflates the distance between nose and forehead, giving VERY flattering perspectives. I believe it was Scott Kelby who said that if you photograph a woman with anything less than a 200mm you will lose a friend, even though you have a beautifully sharp photo, because of exaggerated perspective around the nose and cheeks and forehead with any lens less than 200mm in focal length. The same is true for men as well as women, unless you are after brutally sharp, grungy photos that reveal every blemish, facial hair, skin discolouration and flaw. Those photos are "in" these days, even of old people, but I prefer to keep friends.

That being said, I hardly ever do portraits, but in my limited experience, 200mm yields the nicest looking portraits of all.

03-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Flinn Quote
I don't have a set focal length, but I'm definitely not going to be below 100mm if I can help it.
Perhaps you can clarify your original question. What sort of portraits are you trying to do, and what are you using for your typical lighting and background?
03-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
People portraits
03-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Flinn Quote
People portraits
I think we all guessed as much. But are you trying to shoot head shots, head and shoulders, or full body? Are you shooting indoors or outdoors? Are you shooting with flashes/strobes/reflectors? Some of this was in my earlier question, and I'm a little surprised by your terse answer.

03-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

As mentioned above... headshots vs. full body portraits will mean huge difference in focal length / footsteps.
DA 50mm f/1.8 is inexpensive, as is the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4. Rokinon/Samyang is a manual lens - but VERY sharp and great at subject isolation.

If you're shooting outdoors, you can get away with a 70-210mm without much issue as you have room and natural light. For indoors - 85mm on a crop sensor, you'll be hard hit for space unless you're doing headshots only, but the f/1.4 is great for indoors.
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I think we all guessed as much. But are you trying to shoot head shots, head and shoulders, or full body? Are you shooting indoors or outdoors? Are you shooting with flashes/strobes/reflectors? Some of this was in my earlier question, and I'm a little surprised by your terse answer.
Head, head and shoulders and full body, all outdoors for the 70-210. I currently only own one canon external flash (550ex), which I bought for $45, but I did just buy one of their older models (420ez) for $3 to use as an additional off camera flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
As mentioned above... headshots vs. full body portraits will mean huge difference in focal length / footsteps.
DA 50mm f/1.8 is inexpensive, as is the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4. Rokinon/Samyang is a manual lens - but VERY sharp and great at subject isolation.

If you're shooting outdoors, you can get away with a 70-210mm without much issue as you have room and natural light. For indoors - 85mm on a crop sensor, you'll be hard hit for space unless you're doing headshots only, but the f/1.4 is great for indoors.
The reason I am asking about the 70-210 is because I think I can get this cheaply, like maybe under $40 or $50. This will probably be my outdoor lens. For indoors I'm going to try and get a tamron 17-50 2.8 cheaply, if that's possible. That'll be it for now. I can't afford anything else. I had purchased a pentax because I thought the camera was an extremely good deal considering that Pentax has features on their cameras you'd only find in a $1000 model from either Canon or Nikon. For me to purchase a pentax for around $300 brand new is a very good deal. I have never owned a new camera before. What I find extremely discouraging is Pentax's lens lineup. They either don't make the lens I'm looking for or it's way overpriced for what they offer, in which case, a used one isn't going to be had for much cheaper. Additionally, the used and third party lens market for Pentax is practically non existent compared to Canon, Nikon or Sony. The only thing that Pentax appears to have beat everyone in is the fact that you can use old Pentax manual lenses on their new digital bodies.
03-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Pentax pro quality glass is the same as every one else's pro quality glass. But I honestly think the 70-210 would be good, it's a great lens. We use it from time to time even when we could be using much more expensive glass. It's got character. You don't say what you have... I assume you have a kit lens. A 70-210 with an 18-55 would do you for a long time.