Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
k20d battery grip problem

My new K20d is having a weird issue. With the battery grip attached and in the "on" position the regular dials do not work, only the dials on the battery grip. But when it is switched off, the regular dials work. Can someone with a grip and a k20d try this out and tell me if its a problem with all k20d's or mine alone.

I have noticed a few other weird glitches as well. One time, it was acting as if exposure lock was on but it was not. it wouldnt meter right and I had to hit the green button which seemed to reset everything.

I have also noticed inconsistencies with the AWB. I was shooting today outside in direct sunlight and while most pictures looked good a few looked way too cool. often, it would be in a continuous series so each photo was within a second or less of each other with different white balance somehow.

Any input would be appreciated.

04-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
My new K20d is having a weird issue. With the battery grip attached and in the "on" position the regular dials do not work, only the dials on the battery grip. But when it is switched off, the regular dials work. Can someone with a grip and a k20d try this out and tell me if its a problem with all k20d's or mine alone..
I had a similar problem with my K10D. There were situations where if I had the battery grip in the on position, the e-dials did not work on the camera body (this was in manual mode, but I barely use anything else so I can't verify it happens in all modes). Switching the battery grip to off solved the problem, but it was a nuisance. I have not encountered it so far on my K20D using the same battery grip.
04-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

re: e-dials. it happens on the k10 (dials get stuck..either on the grip or on the body) and it happens on the k20 also...if one doesnt work, simply rotate the ones that work, and they should both work. it's happens so often i got used to it, and it's a part of my shooting routine...

when you press the green button, what mode are you on?

and for the awb....never noticed any inconsistencies w/ the 20, especially in a series...
perhaps you can post lower res images so we can have a peak..

either way, the grip should not affect either
04-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
re: e-dials. it happens on the k10 (dials get stuck..either on the grip or on the body) and it happens on the k20 also...if one doesnt work, simply rotate the ones that work, and they should both work. it's happens so often i got used to it, and it's a part of my shooting routine...

when you press the green button, what mode are you on?

and for the awb....never noticed any inconsistencies w/ the 20, especially in a series...
perhaps you can post lower res images so we can have a peak..

either way, the grip should not affect either
the grip is affecting both dials. all the time, every time. with the grip turned on, neither of the regular dials work, only the dials on the grip can be used. Can someone with a k20D and a grip confirm that this is a problem with my setup and not a problem with all k20d's with a grip.

p.s i know my grip is fine as everything worked fine with my k10d

04-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two things that have caused this on my grip. First, make sure the On/Off/Preview switch on the grip isn't in the middle of two postions. Mine is a bit sticky and doesn't always return to the On postion when doing a preview shot. Second, remove the grip and check the pins to make sure none of them are sticking. When you push on them, they should all spring back. Take note that one of the pins does not extend as high as the others. I believe it is in the middle row on the far right side, but not 100% positive.
04-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by qksilver Quote
My new K20d is having a weird issue. With the battery grip attached and in the "on" position the regular dials do not work, only the dials on the battery grip. But when it is switched off, the regular dials work. Can someone with a grip and a k20d try this out and tell me if its a problem with all k20d's or mine alone.

I have noticed a few other weird glitches as well. One time, it was acting as if exposure lock was on but it was not. it wouldnt meter right and I had to hit the green button which seemed to reset everything.

I have also noticed inconsistencies with the AWB. I was shooting today outside in direct sunlight and while most pictures looked good a few looked way too cool. often, it would be in a continuous series so each photo was within a second or less of each other with different white balance somehow.

Any input would be appreciated.
The battery grip "problem" is when one or the other of the e dials is not quite locked into a detent. It seems to completely confuse the camera. I am pretty sure that I hit the exact opposite problem at least once, where the camera e dial was not fully into the detent.
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM   #7

I have the grip on my K20D and no problems at all, if this is the same grip you had on your K10D and had no issues, then I suspect you might have a conflict with your new K20D.

Do you have battery in the grip aswell as the body? I have two batteries in and selected to Grip first. Not had a problem with the grips on either my K10D or my K20D.

Good luck
PK
04-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
So, after a few days, the problem just went away. I am unsure what stopped it from happening. Hopefully It wont happen again as i have passed my time to return the camera to the store and would have to go through pentax which i hear takes forever.

04-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I once had the same experience with my K10D as Albert describes; I check the position of both sets of e-dials now, and don't leave the vertical grip turned on if I'm not shooting verticals. No recurrence so far (knock on thermoplastic)!