Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What program is most important in your post-processing workflow?
ACDSee Photo Editor 82.12%
Aperture (Apple) 102.65%
Bibble Pro/Lite 266.88%
Breeze Browser   00%
Capture One (Phase One) 61.59%
Corel Photo Album Pro 112.91%
iPhoto (Apple) 71.85%
iView Media Pro   00%
Lightroom (Adobe) 4912.96%
Lightzone (Lightcrafts) 71.85%
Pentax Photo Browser 71.85%
Photoshop + Bridge/ACR (Adobe) 11430.16%
Photoshop Elements (Adobe) 5414.29%
Picasa (Google) 133.44%
Raw Shooter (Pixmantec, now owned by Adobe) 143.70%
Other (explain in response...) 5213.76%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2007, 10:47 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I played around with quite a few options but kept coming back to Bibble, so that's what I bought. The newest version with the included plugins is great, I can do most of what I need to do with Bibble.

01-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Adobe Lightroom

My most used program is Adobe Lightroom. I use it for almost anything I have to do. If I need to do specific touch-ups (cloning, Dodge and Burn, etc.) I export and use Photoshop (version 7). But Lightroom, especially if they added a better sharpen and denoising algorithm, would suffice for 90ish% of my editing. I will be upgrading to CS3 upon release and most definately be purchasing Lightroom.

I have tried some of the others (Aperture and Bibble for RAW stuff, PSP as a Photoshop alternative) but always come back to the Adobe products. CS3 looks good, although I only got 2 days because I lack a CS2 code. The new B&W conversion tool is absolutely ingenious I think and will be taking full advantage of it.

Also, for those who may be interested, NAPP will be releasing a magazine dedicated to Lightroom. You can sign up for notification of its release at http://www.darkroommagazine.com/. And for all those PhotoShop users, be sure to download the Photoshop TV Podcast (real good watch!).
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
Inactive Account

re: Main Processing Program

I have written a custom, automated processing workflow bash script using ufraw, Imagemagick, exiftools, and GraphicsMagick. If I HAVE to, I use Cinepaint.
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Corel Graphics Suite 12

01-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter

A little confused by choices. Perhaps it is semantics...

Since Pentax Photo Laboratory (provided with camera) is not listed (unless you lump it with Photo Browser) I would assume you are not talking about RAW processing which includes exposure correction, contrast, sharpness, etc., but image "handling" software.

So, for "processing" it is the clunky Pentax Photo Laboratory. I only need the basics and it works for me.

For "post" processing. I have two important ones:
1. The pay version of Firehand Technologies Corporation Ember for viewing, moving and dust spotting.
2. Nero for making backup DVD's.

Oh, I voted "other", sorry.
01-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A little confused by choices. Perhaps it is semantics...

Since Pentax Photo Laboratory (provided with camera) is not listed (unless you lump it with Photo Browser) I would assume you are not talking about RAW processing which includes exposure correction, contrast, sharpness, etc., but image "handling" software.

So, for "processing" it is the clunky Pentax Photo Laboratory. I only need the basics and it works for me.

For "post" processing. I have two important ones:
1. The pay version of Firehand Technologies Corporation Ember for viewing, moving and dust spotting.
2. Nero for making backup DVD's.

Oh, I voted "other", sorry.

Yes, I meant to lump Pentax Photo Lab with Browser. I confess that I may have muffed the text for the choices. I was/am certainly interested in Raw image processing, too, although I don't want to skew the questionnaire too much. That's why I asked in an open-ended way, what app is most important to you? Some people don't shoot Raw at all. And some folks don't do much to tweak or edit their images on the computer. I have Photoshop Elements and I even use it from time to time to do something special; but it's not an important part of my workflow. I use Lightroom and Picasa, but Picasa is less important to me than Lightroom.

Anyway, other is fine. I'm not terribly interested in the numbers generated by the poll. More interested in reading what people say in response. At the moment, the thing I find interesting is how many people say they use Photoshop as their main tool.

If I ever post another poll, I promise to do a better job with the options.

Will
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

been a photoshop user since version 3....hard for me to get used to other programs now....since pshop has or is pretty much automatic for me interms of user interface or what not
01-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #23

iPhoto

I'm using iPhoto right now (pretty basic and no RAW support, but it's easy), but I'm seriously considering PSE 4. For what I want out of photo software, CS2 seems like swatting a fly with a Tomahawk missile.

I don't know if others have noticed, but Pentax Photo Browser is completely horrible on a Mac - just selecting a photo takes 30 seconds, never mind actually doing anything with it. It's several times faster on a similar-speed PC, so it's easily the worst port to OS X I've ever seen.

01-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #24
Veteran Member

other.. i use two.. irfanview for viewing and minor stuff.. paintshop pro nine for more aggressive stuff..

trog
01-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Corel Draw Suite 11 aka Corel Photopaint 11 is the workhorse. For RAW editors I use 4 (5), RSE, Pentax Photolab, Silkypics, Raw Magick Lite, and (RAW Therapee, as more of a test program). Would probably go w/ Silkypics as a more exclusive RAW editor except I just can't get myself to pay that much for it. RSE/RSP is dead, Adobe will not revive it to my liking probably. If and when I upgrade my camera it will be "out". The hacks to it to get it to work w/ newer bodies are promising, but just a PIA thing to deal with. Silkypics cost/benefit/ease of use just don't make it for me at the current pricepoint. If under $100US then I'd probably go for it. Just a genetic thing
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I started out using (or more like fighting my way through) PS7. After about a year and a half, I discovered PictureWindow Pro ("other"), which I think is a real find.
It was designed for photographers by the guy that did Lotus (evidently an amateur photographer) and has been able to do anything that I've needed. Once you get used to it, it's much more intuitive than PS and is a fraction of the price. A 30 day full featured demo can be downloaded to try.

My problem is that I've never taken the time to fully utilize PWP and end up using both PS7 and PWP, even though I really dislike PS. I think that I have issues relative to needing instant gratification.:ugh:
01-24-2007, 11:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I started out using (or more like fighting my way through) PS7. After about a year and a half, I discovered PictureWindow Pro ("other"), which I think is a real find.
I had never heard of Picture Window Pro. It does look pretty good. For the benefit of others who are curious, here is a link to a big article about PWP that will give you some idea of how it stacks up against Photoshop. Certainly appears to provide very fine control, and the cost of the Pro version is less than $100US. Here's a link to the Picture Window Pro product web page (publisher is Digital Light & Color).

Thanks for mentioning it, Peter.

Will
01-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's your main post-processing program?

Adobe Photoshop 7 is what I use. I manage my photos and upload my photos from the camera with Picasa 2 by Google.
Freddy....
01-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I use photoshop to add the frame and some touch ups, but bibble is my main tool for post processing..
01-25-2007, 03:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Biblepro is a great programme. So many features