Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What program is most important in your post-processing workflow?
ACDSee Photo Editor 82.12%
Aperture (Apple) 102.65%
Bibble Pro/Lite 266.88%
Breeze Browser   00%
Capture One (Phase One) 61.59%
Corel Photo Album Pro 112.91%
iPhoto (Apple) 71.85%
iView Media Pro   00%
Lightroom (Adobe) 4912.96%
Lightzone (Lightcrafts) 71.85%
Pentax Photo Browser 71.85%
Photoshop + Bridge/ACR (Adobe) 11430.16%
Photoshop Elements (Adobe) 5414.29%
Picasa (Google) 133.44%
Raw Shooter (Pixmantec, now owned by Adobe) 143.70%
Other (explain in response...) 5213.76%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2007, 03:29 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
I "voted" Corel...

I have used Paint Shop Pro since version 3 or 4. I now have Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.

Having just bought the K10D I am faced with the potential raw challenge. I tried Pentax Photo Laboratory but came across the DNG problem (reported in other threads) which is so far a show-stopper, so I have got hold of UFRaw, but haven't used it much yet. At the same time I picked up GIMP 2, which seems much better than when I last tried it, so I might have a further play with it at some point.

A few months ago I was in room with several, mainly Paint Shop Pro, users (some of us very computer literate!), and we were trying to do some simple edits on an image using a recent version of Photoshop. The way items were allocated to submenus seemed very illogical. I am sure I would have got used to it eventually, but we always seemed to find what we wanted under the last option we tried (obvious statement, but you know what I mean). There was a certain amount of the inefficiency of action by committee, but even so, Adobe should really know better. I'm just sorry I can't remember any exmaples.

Simon

01-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paint Shop Pro V8.
Have stuck with it, but like many others, am often frustrated at the lack of educational opportunities available for this software.

so.

Will probably join the ranks of the Photo Shop devotees in the near future...and...sigh....start the learning process all over again
Grant
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Paint Shop Pro V8.
Have stuck with it, but like many others, am often frustrated at the lack of educational opportunities available for this software.
There may not be the shed loads that there are for PS, but there's still a fair amount around. I haven't used that much of it because I find PSP so intuitive, but it's there. Here are a few links (not recommendations, just the results of a quick Google search):

Corel
Paint Shop Pro Users Group
Pinoy7
purepaintshop
Paint Shop Pro 7
PSP Tutorial Links
Paranormal PSP8

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Will probably join the ranks of the Photo Shop devotees in the near future...and...sigh....start the learning process all over again
Grant
Don't worry about that either. PSP skills are at least 95% transferrable to PS (what I said about illogical menus is a minor problem). Going back to the first point, that also means that PS tutorials are often easily translated for PSP.

Simon

Last edited by Simon; 01-25-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Correct typo
01-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I use RSE/RSP for the DS and Olympus E300. This changed when the K10D arrived. Now use the Pentax browser to convert to jpeg/tif. After that run into PS CS2. So I voted for Pentax browser. Try to never shoot anything but raw. Pentax is the only raw browser I know how to operate for K10D.
thanks
barondla

01-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #35

Truthfully though..

I wish the Photoshop option wasn't inclusive with Bridge. I never use Bridge. It's a buggy program with little to offer.

I do, however, use Photoshop CS2 in addition to RawShooter Essentials.
01-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #36
WRB
Forum Member

Photoshop/Bridge however

Lightroom is really strating to grow on me...
01-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #37

I use GIMP for image editing.

The Gnu Image Manipulation Program. I figure if I have to learn an image manipulation program from scratch, I might as well learn a free one.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
01-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Technosavant Quote
I use GIMP for image editing.

The Gnu Image Manipulation Program. I figure if I have to learn an image manipulation program from scratch, I might as well learn a free one.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
I like GIMP a lot, too. There's a version of it called "Gimpshop" that's written to look/feel more like Photoshop. The price is definitely right!

01-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WRB Quote
Lightroom is really strating to grow on me...
How does lightroom fit in the whole Adobe product line?

Does it fall somewhere between CS an PSE? Does it have as big a learning
curve. I'm planning on moving from Paintshop Pro to something.

But I'm not sure what that 'something' should be.
01-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spillway Quote
How does lightroom fit in the whole Adobe product line?

Does it fall somewhere between CS an PSE? Does it have as big a learning
curve. I'm planning on moving from Paintshop Pro to something.

But I'm not sure what that 'something' should be.

Unlike Photoshop, Lightroom is designed specifically and exclusively for the processing of photographs. Lightroom is not for creating logos. It has no text tools. It's not really the tool for combining images so that you create a two-headed dog or a green bean that has a zipper. Lightroom is designed to be a complete workflow application - providing everything you need from the moment you move the images off your storage card to the uploading of images to the Web or sending them to the printer, and in between acquiring the images in the first place and outputting them at the end of the process, Lightroom is designed both to help you evaluate large numbers of images and to process them quickly and efficiently.

The product is apparently going to be named "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom." As far as I can tell, the main reason to include the word "Photoshop" in the name is simply to try to borrow some of the reputation of Photoshop. The two programs do have some similar tools - but Lightroom's tools have been significantly redesigned to better suit the purpose of processing images.

Lightroom's competitors include Aperture, Camera One, Lightzone and Bibble. It most resembles Aperture.

Will
01-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
I wish the Photoshop option wasn't inclusive with Bridge. I never use Bridge. It's a buggy program with little to offer.
That will be changing this spring. CS3 with Bridge CS3 is a vastly improved product. The new ACR4 is also very well updated with a lot of new controls (everything that is in Lightrooms Develop module is now in ACR4). I have been using CS3 beta for about a month and I am very pleased with the improvements. And upgrading will cost less than Lightroom.
01-30-2007, 04:28 AM   #42
Forum Member

Silkypix V.3! I cant believe no-one else has said they use this program. It is absolutely brilliant. It is a little hard to learn initially, the full version costs, but the final results are stunning IMHO. And it can read K10D PEF's.
01-30-2007, 06:02 AM   #43
Inactive Account

that depends on whether i shoot RAW or JPEG

When i shoot raw, i always use the pentax photo laboratory then i add the border and copyright with photoshop.

if i shoot JPEG, i use photoshop for all post processing.
01-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I use mostly the original Pentax PHOTO LAB (since version 1.0) but there is no choice here for voting.. :-(

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
What software is the one most important program in your post-processing workflow? If use more than one program - say, Picasa for file management, Photoshop for editing - pick the one program that you regard as most important to what you do with your photo files.

NOTE: I goofed and put Corel Photo Album in the poll text when I meant to put Corel Paint Shop Pro. If you use Paint Shop Pro, please use the Corel option in the poll.

One or two of the programs I listed may not support Pentax PEF files and/or JPEG files but I thought I'd include them anyway.
01-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Thanks Will.

I have downloaded Lightroom and will give it a try. It sounds intriging.