Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What program is most important in your post-processing workflow?
ACDSee Photo Editor 82.11%
Aperture (Apple) 102.64%
Bibble Pro/Lite 266.86%
Breeze Browser   00%
Capture One (Phase One) 61.58%
Corel Photo Album Pro 112.90%
iPhoto (Apple) 71.85%
iView Media Pro   00%
Lightroom (Adobe) 4912.93%
Lightzone (Lightcrafts) 71.85%
Pentax Photo Browser 71.85%
Photoshop + Bridge/ACR (Adobe) 11430.08%
Photoshop Elements (Adobe) 5514.51%
Picasa (Google) 133.43%
Raw Shooter (Pixmantec, now owned by Adobe) 143.69%
Other (explain in response...) 5213.72%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what's your main post-processing program?

What software is the one most important program in your post-processing workflow? If use more than one program - say, Picasa for file management, Photoshop for editing - pick the one program that you regard as most important to what you do with your photo files.

NOTE: I goofed and put Corel Photo Album in the poll text when I meant to put Corel Paint Shop Pro. If you use Paint Shop Pro, please use the Corel option in the poll.

One or two of the programs I listed may not support Pentax PEF files and/or JPEG files but I thought I'd include them anyway.

Last edited by WMBP; 01-23-2007 at 08:59 AM.
01-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have been using the PS Elements series since their inception. The latest, 5.0, has a lot of very nice features, such as color curves and a B&W conversion with enhancements to allow the "look" you are after. It also has a much better sharpening routine than 4.0 had.
It also supports ACR for DNG files, but I seldom shoot Raw.

Walt
01-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have tried every program in the list, and I've used about half of them for more than a day or two. Now that I'm shooting Raw most of the time, I've been hunting for a good Raw workflow program. I like Lightzone very much in certain ways, but it looks like I'm going to stick with Adobe Lightroom, which should finally be released officially perhaps as soon as next week, or at least within the next month. I do my editing/color correction in Lightroom, then export JPEGs to a completely separate directory that I manage with Google's Picasa.
01-23-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newtmaker Quote
I have been using the PS Elements series since their inception. The latest, 5.0, has a lot of very nice features, such as color curves and a B&W conversion with enhancements to allow the "look" you are after. It also has a much better sharpening routine than 4.0 had.
It also supports ACR for DNG files, but I seldom shoot Raw.

Walt
Did you cast a vote for Photoshop Elements, Walt? I don't see that the poll results have changed....

Will

01-23-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have played around with lots of programs and keep coming back to Photoshop. I am currently using CS3 and am more amazed than ever. Just a wonderful program.

I use Picasa for building free web galleries in a snap. I would like a program that makes cooler galleries for my web site. Lightroom was cool, but it has drawbacks for my workflow, not the least of which was speed.

So, it's Photoshop for me.
01-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have also been playing around with s a bunch. For Raw I still really like the ease of RSE. But that will be no good once I get the K10. I tried and use occasionally the Silkypix. I loved the new version but to cheep to jump on it so used up the trial and using the free version. I think it does great with the colors. You did not list (well specifically) Paint Shop Pro I am using version XI for all work once converted. I would say that for this pole is my most used. I tried Lightroom and did not seem as user friendly as Silkypix. I may buy the Silkypix. But also thinking of trying Phase One.
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
You did not list (well specifically) Paint Shop Pro...
Ack, that's what I meant to put. Instead I put "Corel Photo Album." Sorry.

Will

01-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Silkypix and Paint Shop Pro - both not listed in Poll. Anyhow - that's what I use 95% of the time.
01-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RedHawk Quote
Silkypix and Paint Shop Pro - both not listed in Poll. Anyhow - that's what I use 95% of the time.
Yeah, sorry. I took some time building that list and still made a couple of mistakes.

Apparently it's not possible for me at this point to edit the poll answers. I have modified the first post to instruct folks to select the Corel answer if they use Paint Shop Pro.

As for Silkypix, well, that will have to remain in the other category. The poll is unscientific in every possible way. I do hope that people will continue to add a post describing their choice so we can all see who's using what.

Will
01-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

RSE for raw conversion and Paint Shop Pro X for post processing.
01-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
RSE for raw conversion and Paint Shop Pro X for post processing.
What are you planning to do now that Raw Shooter has been purchased by Adobe? Will you keep using it as long as possible? Consider moving to Lightroom? I think there is some sort of upgrade path available, but perhaps it's only for Raw Shooter Premium users.

Will
01-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Will,
Nice poll. I use Photoshop Elements. Have been using it ever since I started scanning slides so I could distribute them to my sibs. That was version 1.0. Am now seriously thinking of upgrading to 5.0 but I've got just enough saved for my DA 12-24 (if it ever becomes available ) As soon as I get that I'll upgrade to 5.0. Tried a friend's Silkypix but didn't like it.

NaCl(looks like Adobe is running away with this poll so far)H2O
01-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #13

Just settled on a workflow. IDimager for downloading images and cataloging them. CS2 for image processing both jpg and raw.
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
What are you planning to do now that Raw Shooter has been purchased by Adobe? Will you keep using it as long as possible? Consider moving to Lightroom? I think there is some sort of upgrade path available, but perhaps it's only for Raw Shooter Premium users.

Will
Since I "just" have a DS and I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon, I should be able to continue using it for a long time. Worse case, I'll use the Pentax software for conversion to jpeg. With my purchase of PSP X in June, and having my DS fixed for underexposure issues, I find that I don't tweak the images as much using RSE as I did when I first started shooting RAW.
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Took some getting into but Photoshop has and is my prime tool.
For me it offers a lot of flexibility as well as customization features and plugins.
Now it is like putting on a favorite pair of shoes, easily done without thinking about it too much.
I am always looking for new ways to make better the old things I have learned so I play a lot, or at least when I find the time anymore.
I need to shot more with my new RAW capable camera then learn the nuances of RAW processing.
All I lack is time.