Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What program is most important in your post-processing workflow?
ACDSee Photo Editor 82.11%
Aperture (Apple) 102.64%
Bibble Pro/Lite 266.86%
Breeze Browser   00%
Capture One (Phase One) 61.58%
Corel Photo Album Pro 112.90%
iPhoto (Apple) 71.85%
iView Media Pro   00%
Lightroom (Adobe) 4912.93%
Lightzone (Lightcrafts) 71.85%
Pentax Photo Browser 71.85%
Photoshop + Bridge/ACR (Adobe) 11430.08%
Photoshop Elements (Adobe) 5514.51%
Picasa (Google) 133.43%
Raw Shooter (Pixmantec, now owned by Adobe) 143.69%
Other (explain in response...) 5213.72%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #46

Paint Shop Pro - My editor of choice

Depending on what I am doing, I use PSP 7, 8 or 9 based on speed, function and power requirements. Corel messed up the browse function in 10, hard to use as I preferred it on the left frame rather than on the bottom which cuts out too much image real estate.

Phil

01-30-2007, 09:59 PM   #47
Forum Member

Silkypix Developer Studio 3.04.4

It should be in the list!! First 3rd party raw converter to have K10 pef support

I prefer it to Bibble which IMO is second best. Slow on pef raw updates.

I don't like the intense overhead of running Adobe on my engineering laptop so I opt out of dealing with ACR.

PhotoLab 3.0 is powered by Silkypix but I'm scratching my head wondering why it's even in the list.

My ten cents..... thanks for doin the poll
01-31-2007, 03:07 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Depending on what I am doing, I use PSP 7, 8 or 9 based on speed, function and power requirements. Corel messed up the browse function in 10, hard to use as I preferred it on the left frame rather than on the bottom which cuts out too much image real estate.
In 7 the Browser pops up in the middle of the PSP window. In XI, which I believe is fairly similar to 10, all of the palettes, including the Organizer, are dockable. <Ctrl> click and drag frees it from the bottom and then just click and drag to the left will dock it on the left - there is a "pin" icon which causes it to disappear when not in use. Alternatively if you change the Organizer from Palette mode to Document mode (View/Organizer Mode) it behaves pretty much like Browser in 7.

Simon

Last edited by Simon; 02-01-2007 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Correct typo
02-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I use Photoshop CS, but I am a graphic designer/illustator, so it is part of my arsenal of softwares aside my photographic needs. Probably if I would be just a photographer I would resort to something less complex... Aperture comes to my mind, although I have never used it so far.

I also use Photomatix Pro for HDRI, Stitcher for panoramas and Noise Ninja.

02-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #50

-other = GIMP!! yeah I'm not alone. Free is the best!

I havent seen gimpshop though... I'll have to google it...
02-01-2007, 11:12 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I am amazed at how mant Paint Shop Pro Users there are. I find it comforting as I have been using it and sometime feel in the dark. I feel now I can ask a questionhere and there are enough people to get the answer I am looking for. I use PSPXI and unfortunitly downloaded the upgrade 11.11 (i Think) and hate the the EFIX info is wipeout if I change anything. But that is me. I would think they would have fixed this by now. Oh well I guess I can live with it.
02-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #52
Veteran Member

GIMP here too

I'm another GIMP user, on Linux (CentOS 4.4, to be precise). When I shoot raw I use UFRaw to import the DNG files into GIMP.

02-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Well, Photoshop has been my only tool for the last year but now that I have the option to shoot in RAW I'm trying to learn it so I use Photoshop and a variety of converters such as Bibble, Silky Pix, Adobe Lightroom. I haven't decided which one to keep yet but I'm leaning towards either Bibble or Lightroom.
02-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #54

I get the best images using Raw Developer from Iridient Digital (Mac only). I feel it is much better with PEFs than Lightroom B4, Graphic Converter, or the Pentax software. Actually, take the Pentax software off that list because I can't stomach it long enough to comment on it's image quality.
02-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
I get the best images using Raw Developer from Iridient Digital (Mac only). I feel it is much better with PEFs than Lightroom B4, Graphic Converter, or the Pentax software...
Better how?

Will
02-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #56

The Raw Developer images, even with the default settings, seem to have more accurate color, and more detail. I usually back off the default sharpening/smoothing levels though. It isn't as good of a 'workflow' app as Lightroom, but it's $100 cheaper and the image quality for PEF is better.

When I started using RD I actually got a little more excited about my new Pentax (K110D) camera/lens because my images where coming out better than I thought they could. I was using Canon files before, which Lightroom handles better.

There is a free demo of RD that doesn't expire, but it puts a demo message on any edited file you try to save. The developer is quick to respond to questions and suggestions. I got two emalis from him yesterday, and that kind of service helped sell me on the product.
02-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
The Raw Developer images, even with the default settings, seem to have more accurate color, and more detail. I usually back off the default sharpening/smoothing levels though. It isn't as good of a 'workflow' app as Lightroom, but it's $100 cheaper and the image quality for PEF is better.

...There is a free demo of RD that doesn't expire, but it puts a demo message on any edited file you try to save. The developer is quick to respond to questions and suggestions. I got two emalis from him yesterday, and that kind of service helped sell me on the product.
Thanks for the info. I checked out Iridient's web site and read some reviews. Looks like a very good product at a very good price. Unfortunately for me, it's Mac only and I need something to run in Windows.

Will
02-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #58
Inactive Account

Silkypix is my main Raw converter because of the accuracy of colour and the overall IQ, I've become used to the quirky menu and interface (improved in v3). I find ACR (and Lightroom) doesn't quite cut it for me in comparison.

I use Bridge (CS2) to sort and grade and Photoshop to do any PP editing needed after Raw conversion and also for printing because it has accurate printer/paper profiling. I use other programs in CS2 (GoLive, Illustrator and InDesign) for my work, so am well into the use of the suite. May well upgrade to CS3 sometime in the summer.

Tried Lightroom, but don't like it.
02-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #59
Inactive Account

Photo Shop CS2 is my main work flow, and for quick work, and to see if a shot would really be worth working on, I use Picasa.
02-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I voted other for Ulead PhotoImpact. I have been using it at home since version 8 and now am up to Version 11. We use Photoshop Elements 3 at work but just evaluated version 5. I like it better than version 3 but still prefer PhotoImpact since I am used to it more.