Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Developing request

I wonder why Pentax have not yet built in a GPS in its flag ship DSLR:s? Its a hugh disadvantage and a small ting to do. All data is of a larger value if included with geo-information. Furthermore many programmes, like LR for example, make advantages of geographical information if included in the data-file. Of course one could buy the Pentax GPS, but to be honest its a bulky ugly piece of....... With todays technology you they could fit in a built in GPS with no problems. So why do they do this? Stupid marketing? (do they expect to sell more of the large GPS-unit, or do they not understand other brands get advantage). I really hope their developing department see this post....

03-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Odovacar Quote
I wonder why Pentax have not yet built in a GPS in its flag ship DSLR:s? Its a hugh disadvantage and a small ting to do. All data is of a larger value if included with geo-information. Furthermore many programmes, like LR for example, make advantages of geographical information if included in the data-file. Of course one could buy the Pentax GPS, but to be honest its a bulky ugly piece of....... With todays technology you they could fit in a built in GPS with no problems. So why do they do this? Stupid marketing? (do they expect to sell more of the large GPS-unit, or do they not understand other brands get advantage). I really hope their developing department see this post....
In real life, the GPS unit is actually much smaller than you'd expect from the pictures. But in any case, I still do hope the next flagship has GPS and Wi-Fi so that it can keep up with today's fast-paced tech.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
You are right its not massive, but still they could fit a fairly decent GPS within a modern phone. I tried my own phone against a geographical service and im sure its within 10 m, perhaps closer to 5. And thats within a 10x6x0,5 cm device. Imagining how useful photographies will be in the future, to trace events or persons to specific places in the photos (together with other meta-data). What a historical resource! I hope Pentax will be on the same train as the rest of the world.
03-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Edit: To the OP...I just saw your low post count and realized that I was being rude to a new member. Take my comments with a grain of salt coming from a grumpy old man and realize that the complaint about GPS (along with WiFi) is a recurring theme on this site. Oh, and by the way...welcome to the Pentax Forums! End Edit

Explain to me why this is an important feature and I will jump on the bandwagon demanding such. To be honest, I can only think of a couple of use cases:
  • For travelers who can't remember where they took a photo
  • For people who want their photos to automatically appear on Goggle maps (Woo! Hoo!)
  • For people who use a camera for photographic documentation
Now a short list of reasons to not add GPS:
  • No clear photographic use case (see above)
  • Battery drain
  • One more thing to go wrong
  • One more thing for people to rant about on PF (See above) ("My K-1 GPS is off by 2 feet...Pentax is DOOMED!")
Now, I guess I might be a bit of noob, having only been doing photography for about 4.5 decades, but I have never wished I had a GPS stamp on a photo.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-07-14 at 05:15 PM ----------

You are right its not massive, but still they could fit a fairly decent GPS within a modern phone. I tried my own phone against a geographical service and im sure its within 10 m, perhaps closer to 5. And thats within a 10x6x0,5 cm device.
My phone is somewhat smaller than that and the GPS is accurate enough to pinpoint which room the phone is in my house. Big deal. The only reason why GPS is useful on my phone is the fact that my phone has mapping and navigation that depend on it. I don't use my camera to navigate and or make telephone calls and I hardly expect either feature to be added to my camera in the near future.

Tech for Tech's sake is just simply dumb.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-07-2014 at 06:30 PM.
03-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the lack of forced Big Brother is watching an advantage. A huge selling point to me.
Hail Pentax, for not succumbing to social media wannabee photographers trivial needs.
edit: if this offends someone, too bad.

---------- Post added 03-07-14 at 09:53 PM ----------

You are right its not massive, but still they could fit a fairly decent GPS within a modern phone. I tried my own phone against a geographical service and im sure its within 10 m, perhaps closer to 5. And thats within a 10x6x0,5 cm device. Imagining how useful photographies will be in the future, to trace events or persons to specific places in the photos (together with other meta-data). What a historical resource! I hope Pentax will be on the same train as the rest of the world.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-08-2014 at 06:16 AM.
03-07-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You are right its not massive, but still they could fit a fairly decent GPS within a modern phone. I tried my own phone against a geographical service and im sure its within 10 m, perhaps closer to 5. And thats within a 10x6x0,5 cm device.
The actual GPS in most modern phones is absolutely terrible, they use cell towers to help otherwise they'll take forever to lock. Turn off all of your other radios, leave only GPS enabled, you'll be lucky to get it to lock.

If you use a GPS logger app on your phone and sync your camera and phone clocks then it is very easy to just use the .gpx file the logger creates to tag the photos. This method actually works well indoors too since it also uses wifi access points in the area to help determine your location.
03-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
@Stevebrot: Thanks, no worries :-). @Eliott: thanks for the tip.

Answering some of the main arguments from the last three posts:

Im working with geo-attributed data and therefore I realize the importance and demand of it (not trying to be nosy about it). Its uses comes mainly in documentation, it makes the data more useful especially when used as a historical document/record.

Some of you might think its "big brother" and so on, but when it comes down to it big brother will find u if they want to and probably not through your camera with picures u took last week, your phone would probably trace more of your activity.

Concering there should be a problem with a built in GPS, its not true. The other two big camera makers already have cameras with inbuilt GPS, and we want Pentax to take a place in the competition with these do we not?
03-08-2014, 03:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
The Swedish National Heritage Board actually had some problems locating photos from the travels of Carl Curman in the late 1800s. These pictures where put out on Flickr and was identified by users there (espesially after Spanish newspapers wrote about it). This is a good approach for pictures taken in the 1800s, but today the coordinates would tell u in a blink. So why not use technology if we have it, do u not want to use a inbuilt GPS, just switch it off ;-). Some examples how people identified the places (look at comments):

Houses in Ronda, Spain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Landscape, Ronda, Spain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

03-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't care for GPS in a camera. If it's available then I will turn it off because it is a drain on the battery.

If Ricoh/Pentax has a team of 10-15 electrical engineers working on a new product design then I would rather they concentrate on high horsepower photography and image processing vs. GPS and geo-tagging. Let your smartphone in your pocket do the tagging and upload the information to the stand-alone camera via some low power Bluetooth connection.
03-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #10

Original Poster
@6BQ5: Nice photographs!

You do not need to worry, I do not think so many engineers would be needed for such a task. Perhaps a few working hours from the engineering side of it. The idea with bluetooth is good (wonder if K-3 work like that with the smart SD?), but i suspect it eats battery as well though. As u said one can always switch off.

To those of u concerned with battery I must say this has newer been a problem for me with the Pentax. Never felt I needed a batterygrip or so. Maybe for those of u who are out in the the field with no access to electricity for days and days its a problem.