Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Firmware update I'd like Pentax to implement

I would like Pentax to implement a feature that would allow the camera to wake up from sleep mode when you press the AF button on the back.

Too many times I have missed a shot because the camera was in sleep mode and I have to half press the shutter button to wake it, then press AF and then press the shutter again to take the shot.

I know this problem exists only if you use the back AF button to acquire focus.

What are your thoughts?

03-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a stupid design I agree, nice point! This should be sent to Pentax/Ricoh.
03-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I've gotten use to half pressing to wake up the camera, but it would be useful if it would wake up with the rear af button as well. What I'd like them to add is toggling of any drive mode setting with either the green button or the RAW/FX button. Right now you can set the RAW/FX button to enable bracketing, but then to disable you have to go back into the drive modes and change it. I want to be able to press it again and go back to whatever my previous drive mode was.
03-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
While we're at it, I would also like them to add a User Menu where you can place your most often used menu settings. For example, I find the "Format" function too deeply embedded in the menu. This is one of very often used function, so I would love to be able to place this on my User Menu for quick access and have this menu as the default first screen when menu button is pressed.

03-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K10D wakes up with the AF button. I just tried it.
03-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bgdisc Quote
Right now you can set the RAW/FX button to enable bracketing, but then to disable you have to go back into the drive modes and change it. I want to be able to press it again and go back to whatever my previous drive mode was.
I wanted that, too. Silly.

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
...I find the "Format" function too deeply embedded in the menu.
Luckily that is usually my sticky last-used menu setting :-)
03-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have ideas too for firmware changes. How can we actually get these ideas voiced and acknowledged. @Adam any thoughts?
03-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My K10D wakes up with the AF button. I just tried it.
Hmmm ...... Interesting.

I used to have the K10D as well, but I dropped it and it died.

I don't think I was using the AF button at that stage so I probably didn't notice.

03-09-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Too many times I have missed a shot because the camera was in sleep mode and I have to half press the shutter button to wake it, then press AF and then press the shutter again to take the shot.
I personally have my finger half pressing the shutter button at all times while looking through the viewfinder. I do so to try and minimize whatever motion is created by pressing the shutter button. I figure less motion is created from a half press than a whole press. I'm not sure if I'm being overly precarious or if it actually makes a difference.
03-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While we on firmware update "wants": How about we go from 3 user presets on my K-5 to 10? Oh, and just to be difficult, I'd like a built in "stitch" function too!
03-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I would like Pentax to implement a feature that would allow the camera to wake up from sleep mode when you press the AF button on the back.
I agree Tom.
I'm not sure that I miss too many shots, but it is annoying to press AF and see nothing happen!
<composes picture, presses AF, notes nothing happened, takes camera away from eye to check he has pressed AF button, half presses shutter to wake camera, starts composing again, wife says 'what are you doing?'...>
03-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #12

Photos: Albums

I know this problem exists only if you use the back AF button to acquire focus.

What are your thoughts?
I would like this too, having just started using the back button AF technique.
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
I would like this too, having just started using the back button AF technique.
Same. Would be a nice feature to have.