Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Q: Flash compatibility

Hi all.

It's been a long time, but I'm finally able to rejoin the legion of Pentax shooters once more. I have a new K-500 kit on the way and am really looking forward to it, as well as having the ability to use all of the lenses I used on my Pentax film cameras.

I have a question about flash compatibility though. I have two flashes that I use on my film cameras and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they will be compatible with the K-500. One is an AI 160 that I got with my first, a K-1000. The other is an AF-330 FTZ that I got when I bought my Z-X5. I don't usually shoot with flash, but if they are compatible, it wouldn't hurt to have them available, just in case.

Thanks in advance.

keithz

03-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The AF-330FTZ will only work in manual mode, full power or 1/4 power. Pentax doesn't support the old TTL system anymore.

If you meant the Pentax AF160 instead of AI 160, that one will work pretty much the same as it does on the K1000, set the camera's aperture and ISO to match the flash. It has its own light sensor for auto exposure and it works fine with modern cameras. Old auto flashes like that are great if you want to use manual lenses without A contacts, since P-TTL doesn't work with them.
03-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers. It was the AF160. The F was half-worn off the back and its been a long time since I used it.