Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon.com & "New K-30" - grey market?

Hi, a followup on my Alaska thread... Been looking at the budget, and I think my choice right now is a K-30 plus the WR 55-300 for purchase, rental to be picked later. But, since the K-30 is discontinued, I am somewhat concerned about the warranty coverage. Amazon.com has listings for New K-30s, from an outfit called "Electronics Basket" and "fulfilled by Amazon". Does anyone know if this a grey market reseller sort of thing? And if so, how does it affect warranty? I've read a lot of posts all over the Web about Pentax being really good about honoring problems as long as it's purchased from a retailer not an individual, but...

I strongly prefer New over Used (for anything electronic, not just cameras), so warranty coverage is a fairly important factor.

Thanks for any info!

Jim

03-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have sent a K-30 I bought from Electronics Basket to Pentax for warranty service and didn't have any problems.
03-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I have sent a K-30 I bought from Electronics Basket to Pentax for warranty service and didn't have any problems.
Good to know, Thanxxxx

Jim
03-12-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Just because it's discontinued, does not mean no one has "old" stock.

Besides, I have read here that Pentax has been pretty good about warranties as long as you don't buy it from Ebay.

Get the 3 yr (total) extended warranty for $20 too. That's just a no brainer for that price.

03-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
Just because it's discontinued, does not mean no one has "old" stock.

Besides, I have read here that Pentax has been pretty good about warranties as long as you don't buy it from Ebay.

Get the 3 yr (total) extended warranty for $20 too. That's just a no brainer for that price.
True, which is the only reason I've been looking at it. And the extended warranty option for sure.

Jim
03-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here's an official from Pentax web site:
Find a RICOH Imaging Retailer

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax:
Purchasing through the RICOH IMAGING Authorized Reseller network assures that you receive genuine products and service. The purchase of RICOH IMAGING products through unauthorized retailers may exclude you from warranty service and support.
While Amazon is an authorized online dealer of Ricoh Imaging product, many resellers who sell through Amazon are not. It is important to note where the product is being “shipped from and sold by."
I would 'expect' that fulfillment by Amazon is meaning 'shipped by'.

Here's the 'authorized' list of stores/retailers
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/files/support/Authorized_Dealer_List_2-1-14_final.pdf

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
I think that's where I got my K-30 as well.
03-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
Here's an official from Pentax web site:
Find a RICOH Imaging Retailer

I would 'expect' that fulfillment by Amazon is meaning 'shipped by'.

Here's the 'authorized' list of stores/retailers
http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/files/support/Authorized_Dealer_List_2-1-14_final.pdf

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 12:32 PM ----------

I think that's where I got my K-30 as well.
Hm. Electronics Basket isn't on the list, so I'll think about it a bit more. Or I could order one in screaming yellow direct from Ricoh's webstore - they still have 'em listed there, just not as good a price...

Jim
03-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

True... but it lists as Fulfillment by Amazon which means:

• Stored, Packed & Shipped by Amazon!
  • Eligible for Free Shipping
  • Amazon Customer Service 24 x 7
  • Track your delivery to your door
Effectively - it means the Electronics Basket is selling items the Amazon has stocked. I bought the Crystal Red. I wouldn't have minded the fire engine Red of my old K-x... my 18-55mm kit lens would have then matched.
My camera came shipped in original box, with warranty card. I sometimes have less faith in this because I bought the 'body only' set. Many retailers will break up the set, sell the body and lens separately for profit on each of the parts. You REALLY have to watch for this with some of the low prices, and check with the vendor for what is actually shipped. In my case - it was stated that everything from the manufacturer is shipped in original, unopened packaging.
QuoteQuote:
Thank you for your inquiry. We can confirm this item is Factory Fresh and comes with all standard manufacturer accessories and specifications. Please refer to the manufacturer's website, what they have listed as standard included accessories will be included. Please let us know if you have any other questions, we are happy to help.

Last edited by formercanuck; 03-12-2014 at 08:10 PM.
03-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My experience with "electronics basket" has not been good.
In mid-December 2013 I purchased a K-3 on the Amazon website through "Electronics Basket" and I was having connectivity issues with the camera. After about 3 1/2 weeks I finally tried to get in touch with them to no avail. I then called Amazon concierge service and was on the phone with the Amazon representative for almost 1/2 hour to get my camera serviced. Turns out that there was no way to contact Electronics Basket through either phone or email??? FInally I got disgusted and fortunately I was still in my 30 days return period of this purchase through Amazon....so I simply requested that they take back the camera, which they did.
Unless something has changed with their service since mid-January, I would stay away from Electronics Basket!
If I was even remotely thinking of purchasing something from Electronics Basket I would first try to call them -on a phone - and see if there was anyone who I could talk to. I highly doublt it.
I ended up purchasing a used K-5 through KEH with 120 actuations on the shutter and haven't had one problem with it and I am extremely happy with it.
03-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Personally - I'd prefer sold/fulfilled by Amazon over sold by xxxx fulfilled by Amazon for that very reason. The seller is just a business that sells a product that Amazon stocks.

I've seen a lot of reviews from MANY different places for Pentax gear (not just Amazon), but the vast majority of items are fly-by-night operations, of which many I would rate even worse:

Fumfie, Gadget Circuit and others often sell for much less, but do a bit of checking with the BBB before you buy.

Even though you had a bad camera, and had to have it returned - you were fortunate to be able to do so. I've read bad reviews on places like Fumfie where you're out of luck.

This is one of the MAIN reasons that I wish that some stores actually carried Pentax DSLR cameras. Its been a few years since I've seen any - anywhere (didn't have time to stop into Lighthaus in Kona). When dropping +$500, I'd like to actually 'try it out'. If I was ordering parts (lens cap, batteries, charger), I wouldn't care. The more interesting thing that I find... stores like Target carry the cheap commodity cameras like WG-3, but no SLR. I'd be more likely to purchase a P&S over the web than I would a higher end device. I suspect the stores see it the other way... its easier to push a cheap product than an expensive one.

Last edited by formercanuck; 03-13-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added more info
03-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought my K-30 from Electronics Basket back in June. Like many here on the forum, I was hesitant about them so I tried contacting them through Amazon's messaging system. They replied within a day confirming that the camera bundle was in stock and ready to ship. It shipped as noted, arrived safe and sound, and it has gone through 12k shutter cycles. Some people were complaining about the WR vs. non-WR lens issue but I knew going into this that the lenses were not WR. I was a happy camper.
03-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I bought my K-30 from Electronics Basket back in June. Like many here on the forum, I was hesitant about them so I tried contacting them through Amazon's messaging system. They replied within a day confirming that the camera bundle was in stock and ready to ship. It shipped as noted, arrived safe and sound, and it has gone through 12k shutter cycles. Some people were complaining about the WR vs. non-WR lens issue but I knew going into this that the lenses were not WR. I was a happy camper.
Thanks I was actually looking at getting just the body there and the WR 55-300 from either B&H or Adorama. Or maybe the WR 18-135. I dither a lot about these sort of things...

Jim
03-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It took a long time before I purchased my original red K-x from Amazon directly. Back then, stored like Fry's actually had a Pentax camera in the store, so I could effectively 'compare' what I was getting vs. the Canon/Nikon/Sony, and wouldn't be disappointed when I received it.
I have been hesitant on ordering my next lens from many Amazon vendors, as many have taken kits and broken them. Similarly, I am thinking about the Tamron 17-50mm ($289!!) f/2.8 or 28-75mm f/2.8 ($389) from DigitalRev.com
My biggest concern there is the customs fees / taxes that I may have to pay, and the business is from HongKong.
03-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #14

FormerCanuck: I just looked up reviews at resellerratings for DigitalRev and holy crap they're awful. For ten bucks more, you could pick up the same lens from Tristate Camera and they seem much more reputable: Tamron | SP AF 17-50/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical IF Macro WidEAngle Telephoto Zoom Lens For Pentax Digital SLR Cameras (67mm) *FREE SHIPPING* | AF016P-700 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer
03-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, I saw reviews (both good and bad) for DigitalRev. Most of the the reviews were from GB - not US. Most of the US reviews that I saw were not all that great. Don't forget import customs+duty has to be paid on items from overseas. I personally don't want to deal with it.

Tri-State camera reviews aren't any better:
Tri-State Camera - Red Hook - Brooklyn, NY | Yelp
Tri-State Camera - Chelsea - New York, NY | Yelp
Tri-State Camera Review - ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES-DEALERS in Brooklyn, NY - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island, and the Mid-Hudson Region

For the most part, I'll stick with somewhere that I can either pick it up or is a 'authorized' retailer (I've been ok on Amazon - I just have to make sure that it is 'fulfillment by Amazon' or who knows what I get.) B&H/Adorama cost a little more - but are probably worth it for what you're getting. It won't be an open box special.

If I had more time when I'm up north, I'd be driving across the border in Detroit to Windsor to stop at Henry's.

Last edited by formercanuck; 03-14-2014 at 01:45 PM.